quade

Donald Trump mocks John McCain's military record - LA Times

Generally speaking, you would have to be born in 1955 or earlier to have served in Vietnam. After 1973 very few were sent in country, some but few.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Amazon

***We know. Your old.

Yes.. and actually served my country for 8 years and in exchange could afford a pretty good education..... which has paid huge dividends over the last 35 years.

That education did not allow you to find the fountain of youth or make a time machine did it, because your still old! :P

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

******We know. Your old.

Yes.. and actually served my country for 8 years and in exchange could afford a pretty good education..... which has paid huge dividends over the last 35 years.

That education did not allow you to find the fountain of youth or make a time machine did it, because your still old! :P

I have survived into a new millennium... many of my contemporaries did not. I have made a good life.. and will have a very good retirement... so many will not.

The best part is I am happy with the choices I made in my life... from evidence in here.. seeing how much of a tool I could have turned into...... that is a pretty rare commodity.:)

>Al Franken, has never succeeded at making a single person laugh. He was, possibly,
>worse at acting and comedy, than he is at politics.

Agreed there. A good demonstration that skill is not always the most important qualification for whatever vocation you choose.

grimmie

I can only imagine if a Democrat was speaking about POWs this way. And now Trump is giving out phone numbers.

I have to hand it to him, he knows the Tea party base and is pandering to them perfectly.

As a democrat, I'm thrilled to watch the GOP clown show, they are so short sited.

Remember when Bachman was leading in the poles?

What I really want to know is how much of his own cash is Trump spending on this campaign. What person in their right mind would given money to a multi billionaire?

jclalor

What person in their right mind would given money to a multi billionaire?

I don't think your sentence works with the phrase "right mind"
But

A quick poll of who donated to Kerry from here might illuminate.

Or wait til later on and see if anyone throws bad money at Trump once this season gets going....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***What person in their right mind would given money to a multi billionaire?

I don't think your sentence works with the phrase "right mind"
But

A quick poll of who donated to Kerry from here might illuminate.

Or wait til later on and see if anyone throws bad money at Trump once this season gets going....

In the grand scheme of things, any money thrown at Trump is, and always will be bad money. While he may lead the polls with 20% of Republicans, 70% of all voters say they would never vote for him, I think Pallin has a higher favorability rating. I bet if Sarah was running right now instead of Trump, she would be the current front runner.

I think anyone who is perceived by the left as being absolute bat shit crazy, will always be assured of 20% from the far right.

I think trump leads the polls for a while, at least until a large number of the other candidates throw in the towel... That could be a while. Lucky for Trump, there's 15 others in the same race diluting the poll numbers.

The Daily Show returned from summer break last night, and had sooo much fun with Trump:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/full-episodes/29343b/july-20--2015---paul-rudd

"Donald Trump could be this nations first openly-asshole president!"

"What about Richard Nixon?"

"No, he was a closeted asshole."

:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If I remember correctly, John McCain received the MOH for, while he was a POW, refusing to denounce the US in exchange for his freedom. Is this correct? And didn't every POW get that offer? Didn't all of them refuse? Did anyone else get the MOH?

Also, didn't Gen. Wesley Clark say, during McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign, that getting shot down didn't qualify anyone to be President?

Finally, who now thinks the US war against North Vietnam was a good thing? In 1970, when I was discharged from the Army, I was 100% opposed to the war. The fact that Trump didn't serve does not bother me one bit. It's the comb over I don't like.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Croc

didn't Gen. Wesley Clark say, during McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign, that getting shot down didn't qualify anyone to be President?

So what? Wesley Clark, who was sort of forced into retiring from the Army in 2000, ran for President (as a Dem) in 2004 and considered running for President (as a Dem) in 2008 until ultimately endorsing Hillary Clinton. McCain obviously was the opponent of Clark's party in the upcoming election. By 2008, McCain had served 25 years in the US Congress, 21 of them in the US Senate; those were his qualifications. So when Clark tossed that silly dig at McCain in 2008, he wasn't invoking the wisdom of a military officer, he was spinning election-season bullshit as a partisan politician.

If I remember correctly, John McCain received the MOH for, while he was a POW

The CMOH was awarded not to John McCain but to James Stockdale who after his release, rose to the rank of Vice-Admiral (three stars).

Stockdale has now passed. He has, however, left us with some very good writings on his thoughts and reflections of his POW years and those writings are required reading in the command staff schools and war colleges of the four services.

Boomerdog

If I remember correctly, John McCain received the MOH for, while he was a POW

The CMOH was awarded not to John McCain but to James Stockdale who after his release, rose to the rank of Vice-Admiral (three stars).

Stockdale has now passed. He has, however, left us with some very good writings on his thoughts and reflections of his POW years and those writings are required reading in the command staff schools and war colleges of the four services.

Admiral Stockdale was a great man.. being in his presence for one of this talks was indeed inspiring. He was a great leader and kept a bunch of his men alive in very difficult circumstances.... by his example.
BUT
Not all military men... no matter how decorated.... belong on the political stage.

I do believe Stockdale realized this... when Perot basically screwed him.

Stockdale came to know businessman and presidential candidate H. Ross Perot through his wife's work in establishing an organization to represent the families of Vietnam POWs. On March 30, 1992, Perot announced that he had asked Stockdale to be his provisional Vice Presidential nominee on Ross Perot's 1992 independent ticket.[17] Perot intended to replace Stockdale with another candidate, but did not do so before he dropped out of the race in July 1992.[18]

Perot eventually re-entered the race in the fall of 1992, with Stockdale still in place as the vice-presidential nominee. Stockdale was not informed that he would be participating in the October 13 vice-presidential debate held in Atlanta, Georgia, until a week before the event. He had no formal preparation for the debate, unlike his opponents Al Gore and Dan Quayle, and did not discuss any political issues with Perot beforehand.[18]

Stockdale notably opened the debate by saying, "Who am I? Why am I here?", when responding to a request for an opening statement from debate moderator, Hal Bruno, the political director of ABC News.[19] Bruno had asked Stockdale, "Admiral Stockdale, your opening statement, please, sir?", leading to the now famous response.[20] Initially, the rhetorical questions drew applause from the audience, seeming to be a good-natured acknowledgment of his relatively unknown status and lack of traditional qualifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stockdale

Prisoner of war[edit]

On 9 September 1965, while flying from USS Oriskany on a mission over North Vietnam, Stockdale ejected from his Douglas A-4E Skyhawk, which had been struck by enemy fire and completely disabled. He parachuted into a small village, where he was severely beaten and taken prisoner.[citation needed]

Stockdale was held as a prisoner of war in the Hoa Lo prison (popularly known as the Hanoi Hilton) for the next seven and a half years. As the senior Naval officer, he was one of the primary organizers of prisoner resistance. Tortured routinely and denied medical attention for the severely damaged leg he suffered during capture, Stockdale created and enforced a code of conduct for all prisoners which governed torture, secret communications, and behavior. In the summer of 1969, he was locked in leg irons in a bath stall and routinely tortured and beaten. When told by his captors that he was to be paraded in public, Stockdale slit his scalp with a razor to purposely disfigure himself so that his captors could not use him as propaganda. When they covered his head with a hat, he beat himself with a stool until his face was swollen beyond recognition. When Stockdale was discovered with information that could implicate his friends' "black activities", he slit his wrists so they could not torture him into confession.[citation needed]

Early in Stockdale's captivity, his wife, Sybil Stockdale, organized The League of American Families of POWs and MIAs, with other wives of servicemen who were in similar circumstances. By 1968, she and her organization, which called for the President and the U.S. Congress to publicly acknowledge the mistreatment of the POWs (something that had never been done despite evidence of gross mistreatment), gained the attention of the American press. Sybil Stockdale personally made these demands known at the Paris Peace Talks.[citation needed]

Stockdale was one of eleven prisoners known as the "Alcatraz Gang": George Thomas Coker; George McKnight; Jeremiah Denton; Harry Jenkins; Sam Johnson; James Mulligan; Howard Rutledge; Robert Shumaker; Ronald Storz; and Nels Tanner. These individuals had been leaders of resistance activities while in captivity and thus were separated from other captives and placed in solitary confinement. "Alcatraz" was a special facility in a courtyard behind the North Vietnamese Ministry of National Defense, located about one mile away from Hoa Lo Prison. In Alcatraz, each of the prisoners was kept in an individual windowless and concrete cell measuring 3 by 9 feet (0.91 by 2.74 m) with a light bulb kept on around the clock, and they were locked in leg irons each night.[6][7][8][9][10] Of the eleven, Storz died in captivity there in 1970.

In a business book by James C. Collins called Good to Great, Collins writes about a conversation he had with Stockdale regarding his coping strategy during his period in the Vietnamese POW camp.[11]

I never lost faith in the end of the story, I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not trade.[12]

When Collins asked who didn't make it out of Vietnam, Stockdale replied:

Oh, that's easy, the optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out by Easter.' And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.[12]

Stockdale then added:

This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.[12]

Witnessing this philosophy of duality, Collins went on to describe it as the Stockdale Paradox.

This thread is like dinnertime at Auschwitz. Fun watching all of you tripping over everyone to get in line for a good Trump bashing.

My opinion...you've all been hacked by the media. Trump can't be POTUS and has no designs on it. He can, however say the things that need to be said, McCain withstanding. That's his purpose, as it was the last time he "ran".
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

This thread is like dinnertime at Auschwitz. Fun watching all of you tripping over everyone to get in line for a good Trump bashing.

My opinion...you've all been hacked by the media. Trump can't be POTUS and has no designs on it. He can, however say the things that need to be said, McCain withstanding. That's his purpose, as it was the last time he "ran".

I am sure that if given the chance you would vote for him