Driver1

Four US Marines dead in suspected domestic terror attack

And against dickheads from other countries being chickenshits shooting up places.

Throwing some gas on the fire here. That's probably how people like him think of Predator drones.

I also have a huge problem keeping my temper when I hear about attacks by Muslim people on my world. It's getting harder and harder to convince myself that Islam is anything but evil. Actually, all religions are at least partly evil in my eyes. Just WTF drives these people? Do they REALLY think that their God wants them to do this shit? It makes my mind go kind of numb trying to understand. I keep hearing that Islam is a religion of peace, but my eyes tell me it's a religion of poison.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

champu

As a fellow electrical engineer, I strongly condem his actions.

Interesting topic on the news today is the FBI's general profile of a terrorist included a background/education in hard sciences such as engineering. Their premise was that this background more generally led individuals to frame issues as succinctly as "black or white".

So watch your posting, you already tick one of the FBI's boxes ;)
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Driver1

******Sorry Billvon, my anger got the best of me. I realized we have a muslim poster on here.

Ah we see what you did there. Kind of like:

edit: inbred redneck post deleted

I don't give a fuck what YOU think.

I am neither. Born in the south, yes. But against the Confederate flag. And against dickheads from other countries being chickenshits shooting up places. :|

I just randomly inserted a demographic; didn't say you were one.

It was showing that type of post edit as a negative inference to a group without explicitly noting your disdain for said group.

edit: we should have remedial reading thread
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Driver1

Sorry Billvon, my anger got the best of me. I realized we have a muslim poster on here.

I appreciate that, we're not all psycho terrorist scumbags, thanks. I also get the anger and frustration. I felt it too when those shit bags killed Lee Rigby. For what they did to him and what they did to ordinary Muslims at the same time.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

jtiflyer

***True. What I don't get is how this arsehole could just drive on to the base in the first place? Strange, time the US woke up to what we Brits have been living with for years and internal terror threat, I mean its not like it hasn't existed at all in the USA for a while now but they just seem to ignore it and cross their fingers.

The shooting was at a recruiting office, not on base.

It was reported over here as being in two separate locations, one base and the other a recruitment office. Maybe I misunderstood.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Driver1

***Interesting context, for whatever it may or may not be worth, may be lent by this article about the shooter and his family, which should be read in full:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/chattanooga-shooter-came-from-middle-class-muslim-family/2015/07/16/815c39c2-2c04-11e5-bd33-395c05608059_story.html?hpid=z2

Interesting quote on his senior high school picture...

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/07/chattanooga-gunman-was-uct-graduate-dui

He was clearly a turd of the lowest order.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

champu

Thats hysterical, nice one.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

RMK

Interesting topic on the news today is the FBI's general profile of a terrorist included a background/education in hard sciences such as engineering. Their premise was that this background more generally led individuals to frame issues as succinctly as "black or white".

So watch your posting, you already tick one of the FBI's boxes ;)

I'm just glad he wasn't named Shannon Maxwell Abdulazeez.

>The Aurora shooting immediately goes to "what was his mental state"? whereas if the
>person is Muslim, it immediately goes "Islam is trying to destroy America"

Of course. The correct response depends on the race of the gunman.

Black? Condemn the black culture. Absentee fathers, gang chic, "why don't they help themselves" etc.

Arab? Blame Islam; it's a religion of violence. Attack other Arabs for not condemning his actions. Frame it as an "us vs them" war. Call for more border security.

White? Wonder why our mental health system failed the guy.

RMK

*********Sorry Billvon, my anger got the best of me. I realized we have a muslim poster on here.

Ah we see what you did there. Kind of like:

edit: inbred redneck post deleted

I don't give a fuck what YOU think.

I am neither. Born in the south, yes. But against the Confederate flag. And against dickheads from other countries being chickenshits shooting up places. :|

I just randomly inserted a demographic; didn't say you were one.

It was showing that type of post edit as a negative inference to a group without explicitly noting your disdain for said group.

edit: we should have remedial reading thread

I also thought you were hacking on Driver1 after he apologized.
Now I see you were actually poking at Billvon for his intentionally "snarky" (or even a passive PA - IMO accurate assessment of the comment, but not necessary) execution of what should have been a no-comment edit.

Thanks for the clarification, that is certainly a completely opposite intent on your part.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Skyrad

******True. What I don't get is how this arsehole could just drive on to the base in the first place? Strange, time the US woke up to what we Brits have been living with for years and internal terror threat, I mean its not like it hasn't existed at all in the USA for a while now but they just seem to ignore it and cross their fingers.

The shooting was at a recruiting office, not on base.

It was reported over here as being in two separate locations, one base and the other a recruitment office. Maybe I misunderstood.

The recruiting office in one end of the city was hit first, then the naval reserve center in the other end of the city was hit second, and is where police caught up with him and shot his ass dead.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

billvon

>The Aurora shooting immediately goes to "what was his mental state"? whereas if the
>person is Muslim, it immediately goes "Islam is trying to destroy America"

Of course. The correct response depends on the race of the gunman.

Black? Condemn the black culture. Absentee fathers, gang chic, "why don't they help themselves" etc.

Arab? Blame Islam; it's a religion of violence. Attack other Arabs for not condemning his actions. Frame it as an "us vs them" war. Call for more border security.

White? Wonder why our mental health system failed the guy.

The reason people label it terrorism when Muslims do it is usually because of the target in context. We have had two recent military base attacks, and others (can't look up right now) that were not race motivated, or random people flipping their lid, but specific targeted attacks by Muslims that fit the old and new standard for terrorism.

On the other hand the white, black, or Mexican etc attacks although fit today's definition of terrorism are usually racism, Gang related, or mental illness is why it's not called out as terrorism. IMO

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

DanG

Sarcasm dude. As stated one was a war hero. I think if they had am M-4 instead of a sign, the results would have been different

My point was that the "Gun Free Zone" was not in place because the Marines are anti-gun lefty nutjobs, which is the common place people are getting ready to go when they bring up the gun free zone thing.

Most likely, the Marines decided that having recruiters armed would not lead to the welcoming atmosphere they are trying to promote at a recruiting station. On most military bases, soldiers/sailors/airmen/Marines are not allowed to have privately owned weapons in their residences. The DoD has decided that the risk of suicide/accident/fratricide is higher than the risk of the base being attacked. So far, they are right.

So your going with the "People who want to join the Marines are afraid of guns" and the "Our military men and women are more dangerous than terrorists" arguments?

Riiiiiiggghhhhtt...... Have fun with that.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

DanG

As usual, the old, "so what you're saying is..." technique fails.

I think it is obvious what I was saying, because I said it quite plainly. No spin required, thanks.

Add the sailor to the list of the dead >:(

I believe that at this point..... there needs to be a sidearm incorporated into the uniform of ALL service members. With this latest threat from ISIS to go after them here in the homeland... I think OPEN CARRY by our service members should be mandatory.... They are targets... let all of them be trained and act accordingly...[:/]

DanG

As usual, the old, "so what you're saying is..." technique fails.

I think it is obvious what I was saying, because I said it quite plainly. No spin required, thanks.

From your own posts Dan:

Most likely, the Marines decided that having recruiters armed would not lead to the welcoming atmosphere they are trying to promote at a recruiting station.

They are trying to attract people to join the Marines. You know who the Marines are and what they do right? So what would you suggest? Daisies and Tulips? I don't know about you, but the people I've met in the marines generally find an M-16 "welcoming."

The DoD has decided that the risk of suicide/accident/fratricide is higher than the risk of the base being attacked. So far, they are right.

I bolded your last sentence for you. You said it, now own up to it and quit trying to verbal judo your way out of the full nelson you put yourself in. And you are right, no spin required.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

The problem with gun free zones is they're basically on the honor system.

If one truly wants a gun free zone, it needs to be a secured area where people are scanned and searched by armed guards prior to entering.

The other reason the guards are armed is as backup in case there is an incident inside the area.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Amazon

***As usual, the old, "so what you're saying is..." technique fails.

I believe that at this point..... there needs to be a sidearm incorporated into the uniform of ALL service members. With this latest threat from ISIS to go after them here in the homeland... I think OPEN CARRY by our service members should be mandatory.... They are targets... let all of them be trained and act accordingly...[:/]

I agree completely. The only problem is qualifying with the sidearm. I few years ago I overheard a friend who is a captain in the reserves talking about how over HALF of the unit failed rifle qualification due to lack of training time/ammo. And this was a unit that has seen combat (were actually seen at the end of Fahrenheit 9/11). I have no clue if training and qualifying for active duty easier to accomplish (more training and ammo readily available) but my only concern (same concern with most LEO) is being a piss poor shot.

Amazon

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree, unless you're talking about when they're on a military base.

When they're off a military environment (even if they're in uniform) the onus has to be on the public security forces to protect them just as they have to protect every other member of society, otherwise you're creating 2 classes of civil rights. Military people can protect themselves, but not a civilian? You'd have riots on the streets...

Terrorists have never been shy about targeting civilians so it'd be grossly unfair to single out military people as the only targets.

Not only that, but some studies have shown that military personnel have MUCH higher rates of mental health disorders than civilians. Major depression and intermittent explosive disorder are 5 and 6 times more prevalent in the military than in civilians. Personally, I wouldn't want these people walking around armed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03/health/jama-military-mental-health/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140303163153.htm

and various publications by Dr Kessler:
http://www.armystarrs.org/publications/

Hi yoink,

Personally, I wouldn't want these people walking around armed.

From me:

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree

I have no problem with them being armed.

If active duty Marine Corps cannot be trusted with being armed when out in the world, then we cannot begin to be safe. And I know that 'safe' is very subjective.

Jerry Baumchen

DanG

Care to compare the number of dead servicemembers through suicide vs those killed by homegrown terrorists?

Good luck.

I don't compare the two. Once is suicide, one is murder. They are different with different causes along with different methods of prevention.

You don't use the same methods to prevent people from dying in a car accident as you would to keep people from dying from falling off a ladder.

I know the liberal progressives like to combine the statistics for their anti-gun agenda, but in doing so, they are ignoring the true causes of these things and are not solving the problem. Aspirin might make your headache go away, but it won't get rid of the cancer causing the headache. It's chasing symptoms vs finding a cure.

Glad to see your owning your previous statement though....:ph34r:

Why wouldn't I own my previous statement? You want servicemembers to be armed all the time to prevent terrorist attacks. I was just pointing out that the result of that will likely be more tragically dead servicemembers.

Yes, restricting access to guns does not solve the mental health problems experienced in greater frequency by military personnal. We, as a nation, need to address that in a concrete way. But in the meantime, a kneejerk reaction to the tragic killing of five servicemembers that will result in the tragic death of even more doesn't make much sense.

- Dan G

DanG

Care to compare the number of dead servicemembers through suicide vs those killed by homegrown terrorists?

Good luck.

You went off on an unfortunate tangent and got caught. Now you are in an apples and oranges box. Suicide is certainly a problem amongst our veterans. It was not not frequent when Clinton banned their weapons.

Now the question to you, how many suicides at recruitment facilities or on active duty in general?

The reality is that we have homegrown terrorists as well as immigrant terrorists. We all need to be prepared. It is here now.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Amazon

***As usual, the old, "so what you're saying is..." technique fails.

+1