Amazon

Christianizing Textbooks in America

>Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion
>without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people.

So you would prefer that people try to prevent the publication of certain religious materials by making it harder to publish them?

I have zero doubt that if anyone tried that you would scream bloody murder, saying "censorship! tyranny! Atheist secular humanists hate free speech!"

Coreeece

Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people....but you know, they're just trying to make a buck! To hell with integrity - we just want to bitch about christians!

Would you prefer there to be no textbooks at all? If the lobbyists manage to get the board of education to change the requirements then publishers will have to make a book that conforms - otherwise they'll go broke and schools will have nothing to use.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion
>without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people.

So you would prefer that people try to prevent the publication of certain religious materials by making it harder to publish them?

I have zero doubt that if anyone tried that you would scream bloody murder, saying "censorship! tyranny! Atheist secular humanists hate free speech!"

I've stated many times that I think any insight into faith should be taught at home or in the church, not by some secular liberal atheist in a public school.

...but if we are to have general religion classes that involve christianity, I would prefer they limit it to the integrity of how Christ conducted his life...most people don't have a problem with that.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

jakee

***Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people....but you know, they're just trying to make a buck! To hell with integrity - we just want to bitch about christians!

Would you prefer there to be no textbooks at all?
If the lobbyists manage to get the board of education to change the requirements then publishers will have to make a book that conforms - otherwise they'll go broke and schools will have nothing to use.

lol, really?

Coreeece

******Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people....but you know, they're just trying to make a buck! To hell with integrity - we just want to bitch about christians!

If the lobbyists manage to get the board of education to change the requirements then publishers will have to make a book that conforms - otherwise they'll go broke and schools will have nothing to use.

lol, really?

Yeah really. How do you think it works?

jakee

*********Well, the flip-side to that is how people are using this as a blanket jab against religion without one word against the publishers who are catering to these people....but you know, they're just trying to make a buck! To hell with integrity - we just want to bitch about christians!

lol, really?

Yeah really. How do you think it works?

To hell with text books...let them join the 21st century. You can get a cheap tablet for like 30-60 bucks. Let publishers cut costs and provide several digital editions that allow schools to pick their own flavor of bullshit and then let the teachers skip over whatever content they don't feel like teaching - just as they do with current text books. It's not like teachers ever finish the books in a year anyway...it's elementary.

But who knows...maybe you people just like bitching about how a lone creationist in Texas can hypothetically bankrupt a global corporation simply because he believes dinosaurs boarded the Arc, lol...

To hell with text books...let them join the 21st century. You can get a cheap tablet for like 30-60 bucks. Let publishers cut costs and provide several digital editions that allow schools to pick their own flavor of bullshit and then let the teachers skip over whatever content they don't feel like teaching - just as they do with current text books. It's not like teachers ever finish the books in a year anyway...it's elementary

That's actually a great idea.

But who knows...maybe you people just like bitching about how a lone creationist in Texas can hypothetically bankrupt a global corporation simply because he believes dinosaurs boarded the Arc, lol...

Not bitching about someones ability to bankrupt anyone, just bitching that a creationist has such power over what is being taught to kids. Someone on that extreme end of thinking has no place in public school education, IMHO. Church? Sure, go for it.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

tonyhays

To hell with text books...let them join the 21st century. You can get a cheap tablet for like 30-60 bucks. Let publishers cut costs and provide several digital editions that allow schools to pick their own flavor of bullshit and then let the teachers skip over whatever content they don't feel like teaching - just as they do with current text books. It's not like teachers ever finish the books in a year anyway...it's elementary

That's actually a great idea.

***But who knows...maybe you people just like bitching about how a lone creationist in Texas can hypothetically bankrupt a global corporation simply because he believes dinosaurs boarded the Arc, lol...

Not bitching about someones ability to bankrupt anyone, just bitching that a creationist has such power over what is being taught to kids. Someone on that extreme end of thinking has no place in public school education, IMHO. Church? Sure, go for it.

I am amazed that so many are willing to support the kind of revisionist goat fuck stupid that is coming out of the Texas Board of Education.( But not surprised ... not one bit)

I went to parochial schools and even being run by the churches, they somehow managed to teach the Bible in religion classes or comparative religion so that you knew what the differences in the way the worlds people worshipped their deities. And we had real teachers teaching real science in science classes not some fraud pseudo science masquerading as science or pseudo white washed history passed off as something that they deem acceptable history.

From conservapedia's website on explaining how the animals spread after the flood in Genesis

The Post-Noachian Flood Volcano Theory comes from the example of Krakatoa, which, in 1883, erupted and destroyed most of the island, thus remaining lifeless for many years. Still the same life that was there before the eruption eventually came back. It is possible that volcanoes in the Mount Ararat region were able to transport the smaller animals over much greater distances than the animals could get just by walking.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Post-Diluvian_Diasporas

People who believe stuff like this have no business determining what's in school text books.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Coreeece

To hell with text books...let them join the 21st century. You can get a cheap tablet for like 30-60 bucks. Let publishers cut costs and provide several digital editions that allow schools to pick their own flavor of bullshit and then let the teachers skip over whatever content they don't feel like teaching - just as they do with current text books. It's not like teachers ever finish the books in a year anyway...it's elementary.

Well there's the thing, creationists don't want to 'let' teachers do what they want.

Nah mate, you brought corporations into it. No one else was mentioning that at all.

jakee

Well there's the thing, creationists don't want to 'let' teachers do what they want.

The Creationist's/lobbyist's power would be limited in the simple stupid resolution that I proposed...I thought it was obvious.

jakee

***But who knows...maybe you people just like bitching about how a lone creationist in Texas can hypothetically bankrupt a global corporation simply because he believes dinosaurs boarded the Arc, lol...

Nah mate, you brought corporations into it. No one else was mentioning that at all.

That's kinda what I was referring to in post #25...

You also stated that if the lobbyists aren't appeased, the publishers would go out of business and the poor public schools would have no recourse...as if the students would be left hopelessly abandoned, staring aimlessly at liberal teachers banging their heads against the blackboard with thumbs up their ass.

Coreeece

The Creationist's/lobbyist's power would be limited in the simple stupid resolution that I proposed...I thought it was obvious.

Oh sure, because it's that easy. Hey, I just figured out a way to end world hunger - give everybody food! Job done, Nobel Peace prize please.

You also stated that if the lobbyists aren't appeased, the publishers would go out of business and the poor public schools would have no recourse...as if the students would be left hopelessly abandoned, staring aimlessly at liberal teachers banging their heads against the blackboard with thumbs up their ass.

Oh do try to keep track please. If the lobbyists get the education boards to adopt new standards and requirements then publishers only have two options, make new textbooks that comply or sell no textbooks. Which bit of that are you finding too complicated?

Seriously, this effort at redirecting the blame is one of the dumber tangents you've gone down for a while...

jakee

***The Creationist's/lobbyist's power would be limited in the simple stupid resolution that I proposed...I thought it was obvious.

Oh sure, because it's that easy. Hey, I just figured out a way to end world hunger - give everybody food! Job done, Nobel Peace prize please.

Oh sure, because the current system of printing millions of overpriced dust collectors is sooo much easier than producing millions of digital copies.

Even easier, let's just bitch about a few lobbyists promoting their point of view. Hey, damnit...look at that big bad bear shitting in the woods!

Seriously, this effort at redirecting the blame is one of the dumber tangents you've gone down for a while...

Ok...after watching the video again, I shouldn't have criticized the publishers integrity - It's not like they are being asked to print lies.

Also, in the beginning of the trailer, they mentioned how both Texas AND California have major influence on text books, but then only go on to tell how the big bad Texas conservative christians influence the books...

I suppose it bugs me that people rather use this as a political/religious jab rather than looking at it objectively and using it as an opportunity to advance technology.

Regardless of your political views, we should be asking why is it that we are still using text books in this day and age, especially when they allow Texas and California to dictate their flavor of education to the rest of the "sovereign' states?

but overall, it just bugs me that the OP titled the thread "Christianizing text books..."

What does hip-hop vs country music and BHO's name in text books have anything to do with christianity?

Oh sure, because the current system of printing millions of overpriced dust collectors is sooo much easier than producing millions of digital copies.

Oh sure, because that was the important part. I'm sure this game of conveniently forgetting what you actually said seems very clever to you, but you'd be much better off just being straightforward and honest.

You can't just propose that you bypass boards of education and approved curriculums and teaching materials and claim to have solved the problem. You have to be able to make it happen, and guess what? That's another thing those christian lobbyists don't want;)

jakee

Oh sure, because that was the important part. I'm sure this game of conveniently forgetting what you actually said seems very clever to you, but you'd be much better off just being straightforward and honest.

The game of selective quoting is an ongoing theme with you...

jakee

can't just propose that you bypass boards of education and approved curriculums and teaching materials and claim to have solved the problem. You have to be able to make it happen, and guess what? That's another thing those christian lobbyists don't want;)

What I proposed would allow other state BOE's act independently of Texas and California with regard to their influence on text books.

Just curious, what exactly do you have a problem with regard to How the California BOE influences the nations text books....do you even know?

What exactly do you have a problem with regard to how Texas influences the nations text books?

Also, do you believe it's a good thing that kids in the year 2026 will still be using the same raggedy ass text books that kids use today, rather than a digital app?

Have you ever noticed, everyone who wants to speak to you about their religion really has no interest in hearing about yours?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Have you ever noticed, everyone who wants to speak to you about their religion really has no interest in hearing about yours?

No...I've had pleasant discussions with others from various religions, specifically in cafe 1923 in my home town.
http://www.cafe1923.com/

Other times I invite door-to door JW's and Mormon thumpers into the house.

What religion are you? When did you ever speak about it? When did you ever listen?

Coreeece

***Have you ever noticed, everyone who wants to speak to you about their religion really has no interest in hearing about yours?

No...I've had pleasant discussions with others from various religions, specifically in cafe 1923 in my home town.

What religion are you? When did you ever speak about it? When did you ever listen?

I have no religion. I have tried and studied some and found them to all be a load of crap.

Anytime an organization demands 10% of your earnings, and that is directly mentioned in the book they call the gospel, I see a money laundering Ponzi scheme.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

Let me give you the good news about Odin...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

turtlespeed

******Have you ever noticed, everyone who wants to speak to you about their religion really has no interest in hearing about yours?

I have no religion. I have tried and studied some and found them to all be a load of crap.

Ok, then you asked a really stupid question...

turtlespeed

Anytime an organization demands 10% of your earnings, and that is directly mentioned in the book they call the gospel, I see a money laundering Ponzi scheme.

Agreed...is that your experience in Texas?

Can you explain to me why conservative morons in your beloved state of Texas are turning Christianity into a goddamned fucking circus?

Edit:
There....I said it.

Coreeece

Can you explain to me why conservative morons in your beloved state of Texas are turning Christianity into a goddamned fucking circus?

Sure - Christianity, like anything that fits the definition of 'religion,' is a transmissible form of metal illness.

Mental malware, like any pathogen, is subject to mutation along the line. The more virulent strains get all the attention, but those that proliferate without killing the host are the most effective in the long run.

The educational system is the most effective vector for a variety of viruses, both biological and psycho-cybernetic. The Jesuit principle of "give me the child until he is seven and I’ll give you the man' is a prime example.

If you really want to fuck someone up for life, it is best to start when they are young. The folks in Texas have that figured out.

BSBD,

Winsor

Coreeece

What I proposed would allow other state BOE's act independently of Texas and California with regard to their influence on text books.

Sure, but this conversation started because you were blaming the publishers. It's not up to them whether anything like your proposal happens or not.

Just curious, what exactly do you have a problem with regard to How the California BOE influences the nations text books....do you even know?

That isn't a sentence.

Coreeece

*********Have you ever noticed, everyone who wants to speak to you about their religion really has no interest in hearing about yours?

Ok, then you asked a really stupid question...

turtlespeed

Agreed...is that your experience in Texas?

Edit:
There....I said it.

No more realistically than you can.

Religion does that to itself, don't blame Texas for that.
:P

Public school books are no place for invisible friends, just the facts please.
Public schools are in no way equipped for digital media yet.
You willing to purchase all the devices that will be lost, broken, stolen?
Paper is still cheaper and everyone can have equal access, not just the rich white schools.