Amazon

Christianizing Textbooks in America

normiss

Religion does that to itself, don't blame Texas for that.
:P

Public school books are no place for invisible friends, just the facts please.
Public schools are in no way equipped for digital media yet.
You willing to purchase all the devices that will be lost, broken, stolen?
Paper is still cheaper and everyone can have equal access, not just the rich white schools.

Holy hell did you just sound like the guy from Drag Net just now.

normiss

Religion does that to itself, don't blame Texas for that.

Paper is still cheaper and everyone can have equal access, not just the rich white schools.

Public schools should not be teaching about Noah... and the damn dinosaurs on th Arc....

A lot of schools have gotten a lot of free Tech over the years from a bunch of major companies...... And plenty of thieves love that about them when they break into the computer labs.

normiss

Coreeece did say year 2026. If you think how much things have changed in the past 11 years, you should realize that every student will have their "books" on digital media by then. 11 years ago, the first IPhone was still 3 years from being released.

headoverheels

Coreeece did say year 2026. If you think how much things have changed in the past 11 years, you should realize that every student will have their "books" on digital media by then. 11 years ago, the first IPhone was still 3 years from being released.

I don't think large areas of the country will be any different in 11 years. I take trips every year thru our own domestic version of the third world where all the textile jobs and other manufacturing jobs left for China long ago.

I do not envision anyone in those area's investin in the future for THOSE people anytime soon.[:/]

normiss

I'd be mightily impressed to see the very poor inner-city schools with any increase in technology by then.
Hopeful yet doubtful.

I wish I could send off the servers we have to send for recycling... after the drives are destroyed... such a waste.. but those are the mandatesB|

Amazon

***Religion does that to itself, don't blame Texas for that.

Public schools should not be teaching about Noah... and the damn dinosaurs on th Arc....

That doesn't appear to be one of the officially proposed changes/additions. It was the interviewer who brought that up hypothetically as he was "leading the witness" being interviewed. The editors then spliced the soundbites together for dramatic effect to make it seem as if that was actually the issue.

It seems that much of the text in question is more social/political than religious. It puts a conservative bias on economic issues, free enterprise, taxes, social security, healthcare, the civil war, slavery and other social issues such as the LBGT movement.

Many of the criticisms seem to deal with the fact that some issues just aren't being addressed in more depth....but this will always be a problem as you can't just teach everything in one book - someone is bound to get pissed off.

Though there seems to be quite a few religious issues in question, the majority of the criticism focuses on how the founding fathers are depicted as having been influenced by Judeo-Christian ideologies such as Moses and the Ten Commandments.

Other criticisms deal with how various religions don't get "equal time." In some instance Islam was explained longer than Judaism, and in other instances the text seemed to assume that students were already familiar with christianity.

Of all the religious criticisms, I think there were only 2 that actually dealt with Christ. It had to do with how the text stated that Jesus believed in equal rights. I guess people were concerned that that may give kids the impression that God was the authority on equality - OH, the horror! Teach kids that crap and they'll be all fucked up for life![/sarc]

But hey, of all these criticisms, lets just talk about the one that has fuck all to do with the issue, because, you know, dinosaurs on the arc are more divisive and makes for an easy strawman to beat down...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Since God instructed Noah to take two of each kind not of each species his task was made more simple. Include two baby dinosaurs as well as two baby elephants and so on with the larger animals.

Dinosaurs survived past the flood and are referenced in many cultures and peoples art and other recorded history. Furthermore, many sightings in Africa, Great Britain, North America and other places are reasonable examples that they are still here.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Andy9o8

Don't go in the water, unless you are a SPECOPS warrior and something/someone absolutely, positively must be destroyed overnight.

ETA: http://www.lakechamplainregion.com/recreation/outdoors/search-champ
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Since God instructed Noah to take two of each kind not of each species his task was made more simple. Include two baby dinosaurs as well as two baby elephants and so on with the larger animals.

Dinosaurs survived past the flood and are referenced in many cultures and peoples art and other recorded history. Furthermore, many sightings in Africa, Great Britain, North America and other places are reasonable examples that they are still here.

Ever seen a fully grown salt water croc in person.... in the wild????

That will put the fear in ya...... ;)

I am thinking a flood would have little effect on creatures that live in the water. In fact I think they would have prospered with all the carrion available

normiss

So you're trying to convince me that penguins walked how far?
Just to get on a boat???
:D:D:D

:S
Unpossible my friend.

Why couldn't they have just stayed where they were?

normiss

I thought your god commanded them to get on the boat.
2 of EVERY. What does that word mean?

It means:
Gen 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of the birds after their kind, and of the cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.

22 Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.

RonD1120

***I thought your god commanded them to get on the boat.

It means:
Gen 6:19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of the birds after their kind, and of the cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

21 And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.

I bet the job of mucking out the stalls was not very much fun

Amazon

******I thought your god commanded them to get on the boat.

It means:

I bet the job of mucking out the stalls was not very much fun

Talk about latrine duty.

Channman

I suppose you weren't around in the 1700's and early 1800s when this was the norm.

No but my ancestors were in America and hopefully we have progressed beyond fantasies like T-Rex being on the ARK. They had no clue about T-REX.. Can you point me to the bible passage concerning huge reptiles over 40 ft long eating any of Noah's family, nor did they envision what the world of today would be like since many of them... were illiterate according to the early census records I have found.

I know its fashionable in conservative circles to attempt to turn back the clock to simpler times... but that is the ultimate fantasy fallacy.... that can only exist in minds incapable of dealing with the modern world.

RonD1120

Grizzlies & mountain lions? Anacondas & Capybaras & Sloths? Kangaroos & Koalas & Tazmanian Devils? Pandas & Orangutans? Galapagos Tortises?

And if so, how could two of everything (plus food) fit on a boat of the size described in the Bible?

You are free to believe what you wish, but the "Noah Story" doesn't even pass the simplest of "How did that work?" questions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Amazon

***I suppose you weren't around in the 1700's and early 1800s when this was the norm.

No but my ancestors were in America and hopefully we have progressed beyond fantasies like T-Rex being on the ARK. They had no clue about T-REX.. Can you point me to the bible passage concerning huge reptiles over 40 ft long eating any of Noah's family, nor did they envision what the world of today would be like since many of them... were illiterate according to the early census records I have found.

I know its fashionable in conservative circles to attempt to turn back the clock to simpler times... but that is the ultimate fantasy fallacy.... that can only exist in minds incapable of dealing with the modern world.

Noah could have just taken baby vegetarian dinosaurs. That would be consistent with scripture.