Driver1

Is the fleur de lis symbol racist?

IIRC, French? 3 classes of their society?

ETA: After a miniscule amount of research (Google :D), trying to say that is racist would be like saying the period at the end of a sentence is.
Man, the history for that symbol is all over the place.
Somewhat like the swastika. O:-)

normiss

Yes, it has its origins in France, and became widely used in Louisiana, which as you know was originally French territory.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

The history of the fleur de lis in American slavery shows it was used to brand slaves with if they were caught trying to escape, among other methods of punishment... Read the article I posted...

And here's an image...

normiss

ETA: After a miniscule amount of research (Google :D), trying to say that is racist would be like saying the period at the end of a sentence is.
Man, the history for that symbol is all over the place.
Somewhat like the swastika. O:-)

Well, in that way, why don't we ban the color red, the color white and the color blue as well as stars on all flags flown by any government agency.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If they end up fucking with the fleur de lis New Orleans might as well just close the doors it's gonna take 10 years budget to remove all the symbols off of every piece of government and public property. [:/]

You just showed us proof it was a symbol attached to slavery, so let's hear the outrage kallend, Amazon, normiss, dang where you at?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

If they end up fucking with the fleur de lis New Orleans might as well just close the doors it's gonna take 10 years budget to remove all the symbols off of every piece of government and public property. [:/]

You just showed us proof it was a symbol attached to slavery, so let's hear the outrage kallend, Amazon, normiss, dang where you at?

It's not a symbol of "the south" so no matter what, they will now turn their coats and support it, and find several different supporting arguments and websites that will support it. They will then ignore the bit about it being used to brand slaves and name calling and belittlement exercises designed to distract from their hypocrisy.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In response to all the tired, old talking points: If the Stars & Bars hadn't been co-opted by the anti-civil rights Klanners and run up the pole in state houses in the South 50 years as a big, racist Fuck You to the Yankees and the nigras, this conversation would probably not be taking place. Anything that fails to acknowledge that bottom line is either uninformed or intellectually dishonest.

Driver1

***IIRC, French? 3 classes of their society?

Yes, it has its origins in France, and became widely used in Louisiana, which as you know was originally French territory.

As was much of the upper Midwest.... New France ;)

Do you think all the people of Detroit will have a cow since it is on their flag????

Andy9o8

In response to all the tired, old talking points: If the Stars & Bars hadn't been co-opted by the anti-civil rights Klanners and run up the pole in state houses in the South 50 years as a big, racist Fuck You to the Yankees and the nigras, this conversation would probably not be taking place. Anything that fails to acknowledge that bottom line is either uninformed or intellectually dishonest.

Don't let kallend hear you say that he says the flag was racist from the start because of the "cornerstone" constitution and it being a flag that defended that, not because of the kkk poisoning it like the the nazis did the chineese symbol.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

***In response to all the tired, old talking points: If the Stars & Bars hadn't been co-opted by the anti-civil rights Klanners and run up the pole in state houses in the South 50 years as a big, racist Fuck You to the Yankees and the nigras, this conversation would probably not be taking place. Anything that fails to acknowledge that bottom line is either uninformed or intellectually dishonest.

Don't let kallend hear you say that he says the flag was racist from the start because of the "cornerstone" constitution and it being a flag that defended that, not because of the kkk poisoning it like the the nazis did the chineese symbol.

I approve of both of these posts. I tend to stop with Andy's though as all that's really needed to understand why so many want the flag taken down as a PUBLIC symbol. Kallend's???? well, he just likes to argue

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is a HUGE symbol of the south. The premiere website, and magazine for hunting in Louisiana the "Louisiana Sportsman" adopted and changed it to include duck hunting, deer hunting, fishing, and LSU. All key recreational pastimes and pride of the state. Around here there is a sticker of it on probably 25% of truck windows.
http://cliparts.co/cliparts/BTg/rAd/BTgrAd9Gc.jpg
http://www.louisianasportsman.com
http://imageshack.com/i/njphoto1xpj

It is all over public street signs, public vehicle emblems, and even in the masonry work of governmental buildings and sidewalks. It's has now been PROVEN to be a symbol of slavery. I await eagerly the outrage from the named posters.

Agreed but it is now PROVEN that an icon of slavery(the same as the flag) is being used in the south at governmental public buildings, equal outrage should be displayed right??

Google it, it is literally under attack now......I can't even at this point.....

Good luck trying to get it classified as a racist symbol. Not that I care (best thing I ever did in life was leave Quebec), but you are poised to royally piss off over 8 million Quebecois with your desire to brand it as a racist symbol. Les Quebecois are bad enough right now with their language laws, do you really want to open up this can of worms claiming the most important symbol on their flag is racist? This should be fun. ROFLMAO.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=quebec+flag&biw=1680&bih=957&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCI3Yx6Xx2MYCFUUYPgod6Y8B7Q

Now there are a number of Pé·quiste who are indeed racists. but of course not all Quebecois are Pé·quiste. Oh and the Cajuns came from Acadia. They didn't come from Quebec and you can blame Les "mondi" Anglais for relocating the French speaking Acadians to Louisiana.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I get what you're saying. The fleur de lis symbol has been around for centuries. I'm not sure how or why it got used for branding slaves with, but that's something they'll have to come to terms with I guess.

As Anvilbrother says, it's deeply ingrained in Louisiana culture. I don't personally think they are going to do anything more than acknowledge it's past use (dark history) and proclaim the symbol as their quasi-French culture link and go on about their lives and damn what anybody else thinks. WHO DAT!? WHO DAT DEY SAY DEY GONE CALL IT RACIST?!?

:P

There are First Nations people who would dispute your use of the word "originally".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

As per what I said above, the fleur de lis wasn't used by Klanners and their state government stooges as a symbol of aggressive racism during the civil rights battles recalled by millions of people still alive today.

Let me put it this way: those who understand the difference between a cross, and a burning cross, should understand the difference between the fleur-de-lis and the rebel flag.

>Let me put it this way: those who understand the difference between a cross, and a
>burning cross, should understand the difference between the fleur-de-lis and the rebel
>flag.

Not if understanding the difference means you lose the Internet argument.

You see a lot of this after any decision. "Oh, so if gay marriage is legal, then I guess you should be able to marry your dog, right?" "If abortion is legal you should be able to kill your kids after they're born too. What's the difference?"

Louisiana was named after Louis XIV, King of France.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana

HE was the one who came up with the Code Noir(black code) which instructed the use of branding by using the fleur de lis.
https://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/d/335/

So tell me again how the fleur de lis isn't a symbol of racism if we are going by the standards set around here?

Looks like Louisiana is going to be needing a new name too since it is named after a racist who writes slave code.