kallend

Cryptographers weigh in on UK, US proposals on encryption

They disallow amateur radio operators to encrypt any transmissions other than satellite commands, RC code, and Telemetry data. Everything else has to be sent by means not to obscure the message being transmitted.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

They disallow amateur radio operators to encrypt any transmissions other than satellite commands, RC code, and Telemetry data. Everything else has to be sent by means not to obscure the message being transmitted.

Yes, but the reasons behind that are more about identification of the transmitting parties and not the access to the data. Otherwise things like broadband hamnet would be illegal.

The FCC allows encrypted transmissions on licensed frequencies. (thus identifying the party in question)
--
Rob

If they went through the trouble and risk to break into a federal database and steal your name, address, social and your freaking fingerprints I'm pretty sure they were doing it for no good. Don't be surprised if you start getting credit card statements or loan applications.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

My post was not suggesting the perpetrators don't have nefarious intent nor that this breach isn't a very big deal.

I was mocking the idea that your social security number is some gold standard of privacy like it's a naked photo of you or something. When you look at the totality of the SF86, about the only thing it doesn't cover is naked photos.

Yea I agree that a SS by itself is useless but once you have other supporting information as a name and address to go along with the SS number people can do a lot of monetary harm to you. Also in a digital world I'm pretty sure having someone's fingerprints is pretty bad for access and security reasons. Can't they make duplicates by now?