regulator

47 People shot in chicago over the weekend. WHAT A SUPRISE!!!

Hjeada

Must be why 30 Fortune 500 companies choose to be based in the area,

Look John I love you man....But my town has a Fortune 500 company and we are about 15K....you pissy little town sucks. Get over it.:P

You'll be up here in 2 weeks. You can check it out for real. Go to the beach, the museums, the 25 miles of parks along the lakeshore, admire the architecture...

If you want to 'check it out for real' you would also include a tour of the projects and ghettos/slums, a foot tour after dark of those areas should provide a more comprehensive and balanced look at the whole of Chicago.

Out of date information. The projects were ALL abandoned a decade ago and subsequentlydemolished

Funny how people who don't live in Chicago think they know more about the place than people who do.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Look John I love you man....But my town has a Fortune 500 company and we are about 15K....you pissy little town sucks. Get over it.:P

You'll be up here in 2 weeks. You can check it out for real. Go to the beach, the museums, the 25 miles of parks along the lakeshore, admire the architecture...

If you want to 'check it out for real' you would also include a tour of the projects and ghettos/slums, a foot tour after dark of those areas should provide a more comprehensive and balanced look at the whole of Chicago.

Out of date information. The projects were ALL abandoned a decade ago and subsequentlydemolished

Funny how people who don't live in Chicago think they know more about the place than people who do.

Don't you mean "Chiraq?" I'm told it hasn't been Chicago for a while now....
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/06/entertainment/chiraq-chicago-spike-lee-movie-controversy/
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The countdown for the Top 30 Murder Capitals of America:

Rank City
30 Baton Rouge, LA (just for anvilbrother)
29 Youngstown, OH
28 San Bernardino, CA
27 Oakland, CA
26 Barberton, OH
25 Poughkeepsie, NY
24 Cincinnati, OH
23 Petersburg, VA
22 Wilmington, DE
21 York, PA
20 East Palo Alto, CA
19 Jackson, MS
18 Wilkes-Barre, PA
17 Birmingham, AL
16 East Point, GA
15 East Chicago, IN
14 Compton, CA
13 Baltimore, MD
12 St. Louis, MO
11 Harvey, IL
10 Newark, NJ
9 New Orleans, LA
8 Trenton, NJ
7 Detroit, MI
6 Flint, MI
5 Saginaw, MI
4 Chester, PA
3 Gary, IN
2 Camden, NJ
1 East St. Louis, IL

www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/

Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Indeed, E. ST. LOUIS is one of Chicago's south suburbs.

304 miles south, to be precise.

Fact that it's adjacent to St. Louis MO, a city with a higher murder rate than Chicago, obviously means nothing.

jgoose71

More telling is 2 of the top 30 are part of the Chicago Metropolitan Area...but hey, it's not part of Chicago proper so it doesn't count!
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

kallend

Telling how you would rather focus on semantics than the point, but then again, that's what you do all the time, so I'm not surprised...since crime isn't a problem anymore you should take a walk after dark down Halsted & 77th. I bet you will feel all safe and warm on the inside.
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

Hjeada

***Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

More telling is 2 of the top 30 are part of the Chicago Metropolitan Area...but hey, it's not part of Chicago proper so it doesn't count!

Fascinating how the goalposts get moved.

Chicago is NOT in the top 30 at all. Unlike, say Baton Rouge, Memphis or Little Rock.

28 of the top 30 are not in the Chicago area. :P

kallend

******Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Chicago is NOT in the top 30 at all. Unlike, say Baton Rouge, Memphis or Little Rock.

You posted the list, I just made an observation of that list. The fact that you were being intellectually dishonest with that list doesn't mean I was moving the goal posts.
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

kallend

2 of the top 30 are in the Chicago area?

So, if Chicago is 1 city, and there are x number of total cities in the US, then what does that mean in terms of a t-test of proportions.....?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hjeada

*********Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You posted the list, I just made an observation of that list. The fact that you were being intellectually dishonest with that list doesn't mean I was moving the goal posts.

The only intellectual dishonesty here is from the person who (1) suggests a walk through "projects", when the "projects" have been gone 10 years, and (2) when that ploy fails, then weasels by trying to equate Chicago with cities that are not Chicago.

That person would be Hjeada.

kallend

************Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The only intellectual dishonesty here is from the person who (1) suggests a walk through "projects", when the "projects" have been gone 10 years, and (2) when that ploy fails, then weasels by trying to equate Chicago with cities that are not Chicago.

There is no weaseling here, except by you...

How can one not consider cities that are considered to be part of the "Chicago Metropolitan Area" when evaluating crime statistics unless they are being intellectually dishonest? Two of the top fifteen cities for murder are within a stones throw of Chicago, so close that they are grouped as part of Chicagoland, but you want to toss that little bit out to make a point that Chicago proper isn't in the top 30 murder capitols of America... that is the very definition of being intellectually dishonest. Your credibility is waning, "professor".

Referring to the projects was a semantics error. I should have referred to a neighborhood instead of using the generic term 'projects', last I checked, not intellectual dishonesty.

So, how about that evening stroll down Halsted & 77th? I mean, since Chicago is super safe and all.
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

Hjeada

***************Hey look!!! Number 1 is in Illinois. Do you know what other town is in Illinois? Chiraq!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

There is no weaseling here, except by you...

How can one not consider cities that are considered to be part of the "Chicago Metropolitan Area" when evaluating crime statistics unless they are being intellectually dishonest?

"Guilt by association" is a bogus concept.

Stop digging, you're just getting deeper in the hole.

Hjeada

... Two of the top fifteen cities for murder are within a stones throw of Chicago, so close that they are grouped as part of Chicagoland, but you want to toss that little bit out to make a point that Chicago proper isn't in the top 30 murder capitols of America...

Three, not two.

Gary IN, East Chicago IN, and Harvey IL are all pretty much "Greater Chicago Area."

The definition is pretty vague, but all three of those are on the "Chicago" city map in the Rand McNally road atlas.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

... Two of the top fifteen cities for murder are within a stones throw of Chicago, so close that they are grouped as part of Chicagoland, but you want to toss that little bit out to make a point that Chicago proper isn't in the top 30 murder capitols of America...

Three, not two.

Gary IN, East Chicago IN, and Harvey IL are all pretty much "Greater Chicago Area."

The definition is pretty vague, but all three of those are on the "Chicago" city map in the Rand McNally road atlas.

You will never convince dr john.v
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

wolfriverjoe

Three, not two.

So lets see. Three cities** which are NOT Chicago (and two of which are even in a different state) have higher murder rates than Chicago, which somehow indicates that walking through (non-existent) projects at night in Chicago is risky.

** That's three among at least thirty in the list.

I see Hjaeda has been taking lessons in logic from rushmc.

Top 100 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S.

www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

Our research reveals the 100 most dangerous cities in America with 25,000 or more people, based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Violent crimes include murder, rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault. Data used for this research are 1) the number of violent crimes reported to the FBI to have occurred in each city, and 2) the population of each city.

Sure, bigger cities often have more violent crimes than smaller cities. But they have more people, too. Your chances of becoming a victim of crime may actually be lower in many big cities due to the lower violent crime rate per population.

What is equally interesting is which cities did not make the list: Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York are all absent, despite being the centers for some of the largest urban areas in the nation.

But look who did make the list: Minneapolis, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee and Buffalo. These are cities in America’s heartland and Great Lakes regions.

kallend

Three, not two.

So lets see. Three cities** which are NOT Chicago (and two of which are even in a different state) have higher murder rates than Chicago, which somehow indicates that walking through (non-existent) projects at night in Chicago is risky.

First, you are responding to someone other than me, second, I corrected myself about the projects, but you still cling to that desperate attempt at a redirect, and third, CMA and other Metropolitan Statistical Areas (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_metro.htm), are often considered as a whole when looking at statistical information. However, you continue to be intellectually dishonest (falls in line with past behavior from you so I'm not sure why I'm surprised, the whole south side misrepresentation).

So tell me, how about that evening walk down Halsted & 77th?
Dudeist Skydiver #0511

Hjeada

Three, not two.

First, you are responding to someone other than me, second, I corrected myself about the projects, but you still cling to that desperate attempt at a redirect, and third, CMA and other Metropolitan Statistical Areas (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_metro.htm), are often considered as a whole when looking at statistical information. However, you continue to be intellectually dishonest (falls in line with past behavior from you so I'm not sure why I'm surprised, the whole south side misrepresentation).

So tell me, how about that evening walk down Halsted & 77th?

Safer, according to FBI data, than an evening stroll through parts of Minneapolis.

Maybe you'll enlighten us on how the high murder rate in Gary, IN, affects the risk of a stroll around 77th and Halsted.

I drive past 79th and Halsted on my way to work - when was the last time YOU were there?

kallend

Three, not two.

Well, it's 30 miles from Gary to Chicago (according to Google). The other two are even closer.
While they certainly aren't "Chicago" (as in within the city limits), they are considered by many to be part of the "Greater Chicago Area." Just like the "Greater New York City Area" includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut.

It's kind of interesting that the only other major metro area that has more than one is St Louis. Not New York, not LA, not Miami.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Three, not two.

Well, it's 30 miles from Gary to Chicago (according to Google). The other two are even closer.
While they certainly aren't "Chicago" (as in within the city limits), they are considered by many to be part of the "Greater Chicago Area." Just like the "Greater New York City Area" includes parts of New Jersey and Connecticut.

It's kind of interesting that the only other major metro area that has more than one is St Louis. Not New York, not LA, not Miami.

And how exactly does that affect the OP's original statement relating to gun laws and shootings in the CITY of Chicago? How exactly does that affect the risk of a stroll through the south side of CHICAGO? How do cities in INDIANA affect that? Are you expecting stray bullets from 30 miles away in Gary to hit someone at 77th and Halsted?

Please explain.