CornishChris

WTF is to be done with ISIL?!

I was mildly surprised that there wasn't already a thread about the horrific events of Friday across the world.

There were simultaneous attacked in France (a beheading execution), Tunisia (a fucking lunatic with an AK47 killed at least 38 people, 30 of whom were British holidaymakers http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33307279) & Kuwait (suicide bomb killing at least 27). Added to this was the publication of a video showing their new levels of depravity - 15 or so people executed (on HD video) by rocket launching a car they were in; drowning in a cage and blowing up a daisy chain of explosives around 5 guys heads.

Whilst the Kuwait attack has been claimed by ISIL it is a reasonable assumption that the others were either ordered or inspired by them.

The question is, what do we do to stop this. They win if we can't go on holiday for fear of our lives. If companies can be pushed into making decisions as their CEO is beheaded otherwise. How do we stop this cancer from infecting all of our lives? How do we stop kids being radicalised online and moving to Syria to join these fuckers?

I am actually fearful of these people for the first time as they are escalating their activity and their depravity at a crazy rate. They seem to have some draw on young people and I have no idea why these kids want to go and murder innocents. The amazing thing is it isn't just Christians or Westerners. They are killing their own as well.

I don't know what we can do to make this right and to stop this. Anyone got any ideas?

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

kallend

"You break it, you own it, you fix it".

Colin Powell said this to GWB before the invasion of Iraq in 2003. He called it "The Pottery Barn Rule".

So we broke it and should fix it. Have you mentioned that to your lame duck messiah?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

CornishChris

How do we stop kids being radicalised online and moving to Syria to join these fuckers?

why do you want to stop them from going there ? I would gladly help them to go there, and make sure they never come back.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

airdvr

***"You break it, you own it, you fix it".

Colin Powell said this to GWB before the invasion of Iraq in 2003. He called it "The Pottery Barn Rule".

So we broke it and should fix it. Have you mentioned that to your lame duck messiah?

GWB isn't my messiah.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

we do absolutely nothing but monitor it. send a drone in once in a while when we have a defined target.

ISIL/ISIS is NOT coming to your doorstep anymore than the next guy who knife someone in a bar fight is coming to your doorstep and you have the same odds of ever experiencing it in your lifetime, slim.

I expect tourism in Tunisia is dead now. people will go elsewhere or stay home.

Even in the USA, we are freaking out when we find some other radicalized teen who happens to be a muslim, when we have tens of thousands gunned down every year by our own americans with no particular allegiance to any fictional character with a beard that lives in the sky.

your fear is reasonable however I have a problem with activating the forces of the earth in military action....we already did that and it did not work. it actually made the problem worse, so throwing more gas on the fire is probably not going to solve that problem either and any assumption that it would is as delusional as the fear-mongering that is driving it.

No one is stopping you from sending money and guns or signing up yourself for the various groups around the world that are fighting ISIL and ISIL. go ahead. knock yourself out. go ahead....DEFEND yourself.

DO NOT make this my problem, because it is not. IMO

tkhayes

we do absolutely nothing but monitor it. send a drone in once in a while when we have a defined target.

ISIL/ISIS is NOT coming to your doorstep anymore than the next guy who knife someone in a bar fight is coming to your doorstep and you have the same odds of ever experiencing it in your lifetime, slim.

I expect tourism in Tunisia is dead now. people will go elsewhere or stay home.

Even in the USA, we are freaking out when we find some other radicalized teen who happens to be a muslim, when we have tens of thousands gunned down every year by our own americans with no particular allegiance to any fictional character with a beard that lives in the sky.

your fear is reasonable however I have a problem with activating the forces of the earth in military action....we already did that and it did not work. it actually made the problem worse, so throwing more gas on the fire is probably not going to solve that problem either and any assumption that it would is as delusional as the fear-mongering that is driving it.

No one is stopping you from sending money and guns or signing up yourself for the various groups around the world that are fighting ISIL and ISIL. go ahead. knock yourself out. go ahead....DEFEND yourself.

DO NOT make this my problem, because it is not. IMO

What are the benchmarks for it to become your problem? Do they have to attack US soil? The other side of the nation? 3 States away? Your state? Your county? Someone you know?

If everyone starts to take your "Its not my problem" attitude who is to stop them?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

World events are lining up prophetically.

It depresses me further that the first reply to my post is utter nonsense.

Do you delight in reading about such horrific events in the news as they in some way support your view that the end is nigh?

There have been countless people like yourself for millennia, all forecasting that the end of the world is coming soon. You know what every single one of them had in common? They were wrong. You are too, or are you arrogant enough to believe that whilst the thousands who came before were wrong, you are right?

With responses like the one above you honestly come across as every bit as brainwashed as the members of ISIL. Remember the reasons that these people are committing such atrocities is in the name of religion and their god. See my signature line for further details.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

1930's redux. As much as you'd love for it to not be your problem that ugly chicken will come home to roost.

If you stop for a second and take a peak out of your belly button you'll see that, as history has taught us evil like ISIL/ISIS or whatever the fuck we want to call them is always emboldened by the lack of response. If you subscribe to John's broke it/fix it theology the longer we take to fix it the more difficult it will be.

One thing is for sure...they must be howling over gay marriage and confederate symbols. As important as those things are they pale in comparison. To quote a wise man who post here often..."it's later than you think".
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Like I said, now to both of you.....sign up. go fight. knock yourself out.

They are NOT coming across our borders in numbers that we need to even give a fuck about. they are not invading Saudi Arabia either, or Israel, or Qatar, or etc etc etc

They are only reasonably successful in countries that have fallen in war ravaged collapse...so much of that perpetrated by us. And if you think that murdering dictatorships have a history of surviving, then better read up on history again. because they do not. they all eventually go away.

When countries in the middle east start falling en masse, I might pay attention. until then, not my or our problem.

The middle east needs to sort out this, and decide what they want to be when they fucking grow up.

there is NO solution for the USA here....therefore we attempt no fixes for things that have no solutions.

The next school shooter is a greater threat to the USA right now.

The middle east needs to sort out this, and decide what they want to be when they fucking grow up.

Seems to me that's what it going on now. And why there is a problem.

I think part of the issue with this is like that in North Korea. We just have nothing in our experience that lets us understand what this is. The level of what we would call craziness.

ISIS has greater aspirations. They thumb their nose because they want conflict. You have people going there hoping to die and kill.

What to do? I'm beginning to think that martyring all of them is becoming a more necessary thing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hi Chris,
Normally I stay out of "religious" debates because most folk have entrenched ideas and don't want to debate, they just want to state their side without possibility of movement - and this is on both sides - religious and non-religious.
You asked for opinions and Ron responded - it is his (and many others opinion), and at least Ron is consistent and not embarrassed about his faith - so why surprised he has responded?
Looking at this from the ISIS perspective, and I do believe that you need to see this through their eyes, there was a very interesting article published a while ago on ISIS, I will see if I can find the link (I did publish it on SC) - where ISIS are trying to provoke the apocalypse. They believe that if they can get western boots onto the ground, they will usher in the apocalypse and then bring about paradise. That is why we have to get the middle east to resolve this, and we should not be involved.
Also, looking back at European history, the Middle east is now going through the birth pains on democracy that we experienced over the last 7 or 8 hundred years - it is painful and bloody, but the middle east must find their own way, You cannot force social ideology onto a nation or region ... it always ends badly. We should only advise if requested to do so. We can defend ourselves but this is a battle the semitic nations (all of them) need to fight.

tkhayes

They are NOT coming across our borders in numbers that we need to even give a fuck about. they are not invading Saudi Arabia either, or Israel, or Qatar, or etc etc etc

Not yet they aren't. It takes time to build up their forces and expand. Look what the Nazis did. They took power in what, the early 30's? Like 1933? And started WWII in what, 1939? By invading other countries?

Give ISIS enough time unchecked, and you'll see the same thing happen.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

tkhayes

They are only reasonably successful in countries that have fallen in war ravaged collapse...so much of that perpetrated by us. And if you think that murdering dictatorships have a history of surviving, then better read up on history again. because they do not. they all eventually go away.

When countries in the middle east start falling en masse, I might pay attention. until then, not my or our problem.

there is NO solution for the USA here....therefore we attempt no fixes for things that have no solutions.

The next school shooter is a greater threat to the USA right now.

As If !!!!!!

You do not really expect the 101st Airborne Keyboard Warriors to actually swing into action with all the weapons they have do you???

Band of Brothers they are not.

>I don't know what we can do to make this right and to stop this. Anyone got any ideas?

John Quincy Adams had a pretty good answer I think:
===============================================
Let our answer be this–America, with the same voice which spoke herself into existence as a nation, proclaimed to mankind the inextinguishable rights of human nature, and the only lawful foundations of government. America, in the assembly of nations, since her admission among them, has invariably, though often fruitlessly, held forth to them the hand of honest friendship, of equal freedom, of generous reciprocity. She has uniformly spoken among them, though often to heedless and often to disdainful ears, the language of equal liberty, equal justice, and equal rights. She has, in the lapse of nearly half a century, without a single exception, respected the independence of other nations, while asserting and maintaining her own. She has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when the conflict has been for principles to which she clings, as to the last vital drop that visits the heart. She has seen that probably for centuries to come, all the contests of that Aceldama, the European World, will be contests between inveterate power, and emerging right.

Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own. She will recommend the general cause, by the countenance of her voice, and the benignant sympathy of her example.

She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself, beyond the power of extrication, in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy, and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standard of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force. The frontlet upon her brows would no longer beam with the ineffable splendor of freedom and independence; but in its stead would soon be substituted an imperial diadem, flashing in false and tarnished lustre the murky radiance of dominion and power. She might become the dictatress of the world: she would be no longer the ruler of her own spirit.
=================================

Anyone got any ideas?

Yes, but few are going to like them.

The amazing thing is it isn't just Christians or Westerners. They are killing their own as well.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. While they are killing Muslims, not all Muslims are considered Muslims by all Muslims. There are TWO major factions. Depending on which country you happen to be in, one faction rules OVER the other. This is, I believe, THE root of the problem. It's why, for instance Saudi Arabia is more than happy to let some countries tear each other completely apart because the previous leaders were not the Saudi Arabian flavor of Muslim.

By all rights, this is a local problem and the local power in the region with the most power is Saudi Arabia. It's has the third largest military budget of any country on earth yet they sit idle watching other countries and thousands upon thousands of not-quite-fellow Muslims get slaughtered because it serves them in a number of ways.

This is not the US's fight. This is the fight of the Middle East. The Middle East should be dealing with it. The ones who have the capability don't care as long as it's not within their borders.

I'm waiting to see what happens when and if the fighting ever crosses into Saudi Arabia in a major way. That will be telling.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kenthediver

Hi Chris,
Normally I stay out of "religious" debates because most folk have entrenched ideas and don't want to debate, they just want to state their side without possibility of movement - and this is on both sides - religious and non-religious.
You asked for opinions and Ron responded - it is his (and many others opinion), and at least Ron is consistent and not embarrassed about his faith - so why surprised he has responded?
Looking at this from the ISIS perspective, and I do believe that you need to see this through their eyes, there was a very interesting article published a while ago on ISIS, I will see if I can find the link (I did publish it on SC) - where ISIS are trying to provoke the apocalypse. They believe that if they can get western boots onto the ground, they will usher in the apocalypse and then bring about paradise. That is why we have to get the middle east to resolve this, and we should not be involved.
Also, looking back at European history, the Middle east is now going through the birth pains on democracy that we experienced over the last 7 or 8 hundred years - it is painful and bloody, but the middle east must find their own way, You cannot force social ideology onto a nation or region ... it always ends badly. We should only advise if requested to do so. We can defend ourselves but this is a battle the semitic nations (all of them) need to fight.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

The other thing to realize is as far as most of the ISIL fighters are concerned, the fight with the west is simply the side show. The real fight is with the leaders of the countries. The west is only a small piece of it because prior to this point the US (and other western countries) have helped to prop those leaders up.
quade -

CornishChris

World events are lining up prophetically.

It depresses me further that the first reply to my post is utter nonsense.

Do you delight in reading about such horrific events in the news as they in some way support your view that the end is nigh?

There have been countless people like yourself for millennia, all forecasting that the end of the world is coming soon. You know what every single one of them had in common? They were wrong. You are too, or are you arrogant enough to believe that whilst the thousands who came before were wrong, you are right?

With responses like the one above you honestly come across as every bit as brainwashed as the members of ISIL. Remember the reasons that these people are committing such atrocities is in the name of religion and their god. See my signature line for further details.

THANK YOU!

j

jclalor

***World events are lining up prophetically.

Perhaps you could qoute some scripture that mentioned Isalm?

Actually, what I'm sort of interested in is what natural herbs or fungus John of Patmos (or WHOEVER) might have had access to.

Honestly, why it's part of the Bible is sort of a mystery. The guy clearly states he didn't know Jesus. Why is it even part of Christian scripture?
quade -

quade

******World events are lining up prophetically.

Perhaps you could qoute some scripture that mentioned Isalm?

Actually, what I'm sort of interested in is what natural herbs or fungus John of Patmos (or WHOEVER) might have had access to.

Honestly, why it's part of the Bible is sort of a mystery. The guy clearly states he didn't know Jesus. Why is it even part of Christian scripture?

You might enjoy this.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.