Amazon

SCOTUS Ya'll can get your gay weddings now.

Well, it appears that his campaign claims they paid for a generic ASCAP license which allows them to play music at a commercial event. Using a particular song as a theme song is different. There are some good comments in your link that claim the campaign may have followed copyright law, but may still be running afoul of other laws.

Either way, it is clear that the campaign did not consult with Neil Young or REM, but bought a standard commercial license. They did not buy a license to use those songs specifically.

- Dan G

I'm not sure that the copyright owners need to be specifically consulted in this case. Isn't that why they join ASCAP and BMI? To let those organizations deal with licensing requests and authorizations (and their royalty payments)...

Unless the music is"synchronized" as part of a "dramatic work", I think the generic ASCAP license would cover the use. Maybe billvon or one of the other mods could ping Spot (DSE) to see what his take on this would be. I'm sure he would have a more definitive answer...

pbwing

I'm not sure that the copyright owners need to be specifically consulted in this case. Isn't that why they join ASCAP and BMI? To let those organizations deal with licensing requests and authorizations (and their royalty payments)...

Unless the music is"synchronized" as part of a "dramatic work", I think the generic ASCAP license would cover the use. Maybe billvon or one of the other mods could ping Spot (DSE) to see what his take on this would be. I'm sure he would have a more definitive answer...

There are a lot of threads in the photography forum.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Anvilbrother

REM and Neil Young can go fuck themselves right back because trump bought a license to use the songs. It's all musicians being twats to look edgy for their fans.

I call bullshit. Neil young controls his music himself for sure. I don't know about Micheal Stipe. But you neither your attitude nor Trump's surprises me at all. It's alright to steal as long as you approve of the thief.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

pbwing

that's very insightful

As a (former) vidiot, I remember there being a lot of discussion on copyright infringement and licensing.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

rushmc

Just keep pushing your beliefs
It is what you and yours does

This just reminded me I wanted to look up the text of this Huckabee quote from Davis' release. The rest of this post is to no one in particular:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/08/mike-huckabee-on-kim-davis-release-and-religious-liberty-god-intervened-but-whos-next/

Our founders were so concerned that they said should we ever come to the place where we allow a court to run amuck of its purpose that we would be living under what is no less than judicial tyranny.... We will not surrender to the tyranny of one branch of government.

and

...[T]he Constitution does not allow the courts to make up law according to their own whims.

Umm... exactly which side of the issue is he arguing? Seems to me Kim Davis is a representative of the court, running amuck of its purpose exercising "judicial tyranny," and is making up law (or what laws she's going to follow) according to her own whims.

I also recall this quote (from another summary, though spoken at the same event):
http://time.com/4025948/kim-davis-mike-huckabee-2016/

“I’m tired of seeing people be harassed just because of their faith,” Huckabee later told reporters.

Again, it's hard to say on which side he is arguing, as this could be used for both -- although much less legitimate for the side he intended, as Davis wasn't being harassed for her faith, but was certainly harassing others for having different faiths (or different interpretations of one similar to her own).
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

gowlerk

***REM and Neil Young can go fuck themselves right back because trump bought a license to use the songs. It's all musicians being twats to look edgy for their fans.

I call bullshit. Neil young controls his music himself for sure. I don't know about Micheal Stipe. But you neither your attitude nor Trump's surprises me at all. It's alright to steal as long as you approve of the thief.

Read the link trump is the one that stated they purchased a license to use Neils song. Take the accuracy and details of what it allowed them to do up with them.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

wolfriverjoe

Apparently the guys who wrote the song "Eye Of The Tiger" are NOT happy that she used it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/09/why-the-band-behind-eye-of-the-tiger-hates-its-use-as-kim-daviss-fight-song/

Is it just me, or does it seem like conservatives more than any other group feel like they can use any song they like for their "theme song" without consideration that the rights to those songs are owned by people who may not agree with those particular positions?

In most cases the rights are owned by corporations/music labels that only care about profitable licensing. If the artists don't like it, then perhaps they should be more careful when making deals with the devil...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

jakee

Is it just me, or does it seem like conservatives more than any other group feel like they can use any song they like for their "theme song" without consideration that the rights to those songs are owned by people who may not agree with those particular positions?

Or without consideration to what it means. 'Born in the USA' for example...:P

...but I thought we were talking about the evil conservative warmongering republicans. Perhaps they're just gloating...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Amazon

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

I mean ya, it's funny...but I'd reckon that someone would have a serious fuckin' problem if they were to take this shit too seriously...:S

You do not think Kim and her supporters do not take it seriously??

Kim and supporter Huckabee.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

I mean ya, it's funny...but I'd reckon that someone would have a serious fuckin' problem if they were to take this shit too seriously...:S

You do not think Kim and her supporters do not take it seriously??

Kim and supporter Huckabee.

That is just a moment interpretation and has no bearing in reality.