Amazon

SCOTUS Ya'll can get your gay weddings now.

Irony:
Clarence Thomas is upset that SCOTUS voted to overturn gay marriage.
But his own marriage would have been illegal had SCOTUS not struck down bans on interracial marriage in 1967.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Where was all this “five unelected judges” chatter when they handed down Citizens United?

Stare Decisis? 100% the opposite for the CU decision.

SCOTUS completely ignored all of the precedents established for campaign financing and overturned EVERYTHING.

Corporations are not people. They cannot be imprisoned. They can not be drafted into military service. They do not have belly buttons. By no normal reasoning is a corporation a "person". It takes a sick and twisted mind to come to such a conclusion.

Scalia didn't say jack shit about "unelected judges" for CU.

How about Scalia's favorite murderer on death row? You know, the guy that was factually innocent and has since been exonerated? Scalia was all set to kill the innocent man. What a worthless piece of shit Scalia is. All of this just proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Saw a photo of someone outside the Supreme Court building holding a poster saying "GOD said One man + one woman". If that's so, how come Deuteronomy 21:15-17 gives instructions on inheritance to men with multiple wives? How come many of the patriarchs had multiple wives?

These so-called Christians just pick and choose the bits they want to impose on the rest of us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just bought plane tickets to attend a wedding between two gay people a couple months from now. If, when they kiss, my own wedding band suddenly begins glowing red hot and burns my finger off I'll be sure to relay said findings.

billvon

As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the US Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage."

But suggest any sort of alteration to gun laws and watch how quickly the 'IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION!!' arguments come out. :D

champu

Just bought plane tickets to attend a wedding between two gay people a couple months from now. If, when they kiss, my own wedding band suddenly begins glowing red hot and burns my finger off I'll be sure to relay said findings.

I don't have one - for that exact reason**! You should post the date so other hetero-married folks can leave theirs off on that day, just in case.:D

"*Actually I really dislike all jewelry so I stopped wearing any some years ago (including wrist watch).

brenthutch

I am worried about the unintended consequences. With one stroke of a pen, NPR has lost half of its programming material. There is a massive outrage void that now has to be filled.

I am sure they will manage just fine... don't you worry.........

Driver1

*********SCOTUS has ruled... Same sex is legal across the land.

Good deal. Live and let live.

I may be a fiscal conservative but I am also a "Live and let Live" social libertarian.

As I am too... good post.

As am I, Ramen.

Just tagging on at the end, thinking about how the yacht manufacturers and the Mercedes Benz dealers are going to profit from sales to civil attorneys. I'll bet the orders are starting already. Think about all the law suits from tormented gays who have been refused some service from clever straight business owners. You just know some folks are going to test the ruling. The transformation of America has been a boon to the lawyers.

Meanwhile, up in the north GA mountains, life goes on.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

... how come Deuteronomy 21:15-17 gives instructions on inheritance to men with multiple wives? How come many of the patriarchs had multiple wives?

These so-called Christians just pick and choose the bits they want to impose on the rest of us.

Don't you know? Those folks were Jews not Christians.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***... how come Deuteronomy 21:15-17 gives instructions on inheritance to men with multiple wives? How come many of the patriarchs had multiple wives?

Yeah but those good old fundies do seem to roll out Old Testament religious laws on a rather regular basis....

RonD1120

***... how come Deuteronomy 21:15-17 gives instructions on inheritance to men with multiple wives? How come many of the patriarchs had multiple wives?

So why is the OT in the Christian holy book at all, then? Do you discount the 10 Commandments too, or just the bits you don't like?

In my understanding, the OT lays the foundation for the incarnation of the Son of God. The Hebrew writings establish the law and records the failure of man to live by them in God's favor. Therefore, a savior is needed. Jesus Christ came to become sin and die as the propitiation for man's sin. His resurrection demonstrates the atonement for man and therefore the path to eternal life. It is God's gift, given by His grace, to those willing to accept it.

I am worried about the unintended consequences. With one stroke of a pen, NPR has lost half of its programming material. There is a massive outrage void that now has to be filled.

Never underestimate the creative mind facing the awesome potential that funding may be cut as a result of the void you describe. NPR already has proposals for Big Bird et. al. to explore the world of flaming cross dressing on Sesame Street. Justification: Funding needed to teach young children the virtues of expanding societal boundaries. Coming to local PBS station near you. Stay tuned!;)

RonD1120

In my understanding, the OT lays the foundation for the incarnation of the Son of God. The Hebrew writings establish the law and records the failure of man to live by them in God's favor. Therefore, a savior is needed. Jesus Christ came to become sin and die as the propitiation for man's sin. His resurrection demonstrates the atonement for man and therefore the path to eternal life. It is God's gift, given by His grace, to those willing to accept it.

Gobbledegook is not an answer to the question.

Being a lay person regarding statutes, I do not understand this ruling. Some states allowed same sex marriage, some did not. What prompted the SCOTUS to weigh in and overturn the states right to regulate their marriage laws?

I am more concerned about that abuse, IMO, of power than I am in same sex marriage.