Amazon

SCOTUS Ya'll can get your gay weddings now.

narcimund

As the only one here* that this ruling actually applies to, I'd just like to say:

[#ff69b4]HOT [#fdd017]DA[#34dddd]MN[#7f00ff]!

* (As far as I know)

Not to worry

There have been a couple Dizzie Dot Commers representing for the team ;)

Willful ignorance is something that takes time and effort to achieve these days. With the Internet, it is possible to get accurate information about current and historical events. With a capable intellect, one can learn about subjects that interest one's curiosity.

Try it some time.

Some states allowed interracial marriage back in the 1960s. Some did not. The SCOTUS decision in the case of Loving vs Virginia overturned that bigoted law. That is why the sexual predator Clarence Thomas can be married to the douchebag Virginia and not be arrested when he goes to Virginia.

The law that applies in the case of Loving vs Virginia and Obergefell vs Hodges would be the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. This informations has been readily available in the news. It is really hard to miss, even showing up on Faux Spews. How did you manage it?

Reading is fundamental. Reading comprehension is fundamental. If this is a challenge, there are adult education programs available in many states. If one puts in some time and effort and it will be possible to brush up on basic civics. Once an understanding of how the government operates is achieved, the paralyzingly fear of government may subside.

One of the great ideals in the Constitution is that the majority cannot vote into place laws that restrict the rights of the minority. This sometimes takes a while to come to pass. It is an imperfect system, but better than the alternatives.

>Just tagging on at the end, thinking about how the yacht manufacturers and the
>Mercedes Benz dealers are going to profit from sales to civil attorneys. I'll bet the
>orders are starting already.

More freedom AND we stimulate the economy? Sounds like a win-win.

"Well, a lot happened over this past week.
The Confederate flag is out;
The rainbow flag is in;
And Lindsey Graham is so confused."

-- Bill Maher
:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

narcimund

As the only one here* that this ruling actually applies to, I'd just like to say:

[#ff69b4]HOT [#fdd017]DA[#34dddd]MN[#7f00ff]!

* (As far as I know)

You don't know Johnny, the turtle lover do you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

RonD1120

***... how come Deuteronomy 21:15-17 gives instructions on inheritance to men with multiple wives? How come many of the patriarchs had multiple wives?

These so-called Christians just pick and choose the bits they want to impose on the rest of us.

Don't you know? Those folks were Jews not Christians.

Here's some insight for you:

www.facebook.com/312383761871/videos/10152944910876872/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

RonD1120

Being a lay person regarding statutes, I do not understand this ruling. Some states allowed same sex marriage, some did not. What prompted the SCOTUS to weigh in and overturn the states right to regulate their marriage laws?

I am more concerned about that abuse, IMO, of power than I am in same sex marriage.

Basic 9th grade civics. The "how America works" stuff you should have learned in school.

Most courts had ruled that states could allow gay marriage or not ban it.

Then the 6th Circuit ruled that states were allowed to decide what marriage was or wasn't. So gay marriage bans in several states were upheld.

Many scholars felt that this ruling was completely wrong, because it allowed states to discriminate against certain groups of people.

With conflicting Circuit court rulings, the Supremes stepped in.

And they found that the ruling of the 6th was incorrect, that the "equal protection" part of the 14th amendment meant that all citizens were entitled to the privileges accorded to some.

The states are still entitled to regulate their marriage laws. They just are no longer allowed to use those laws to discriminate against people that some groups don't like.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thank you, I was in the 9th grade in 1956. I have not followed the rulings of the Circuit Courts.

Fortunately, the ruling still allows churches to chose whether or not they will allow the ceremony of marriage between same sex. My pastor announced yesterday that our denomination will not perform the ceremony or allow it to be held on any of its properties or extensions thereof.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

My pastor announced yesterday that our denomination will not perform the ceremony or allow it to be held on any of its properties or extensions thereof.

That's fine.

However, I object strongly to tax-exempt status being allowed to any organization that practices discrimination.

Interesting thread.

pretty much everyone thinks this end result is how it should be - agreement there

perhaps some discussion about if the process is appropriate or not (should this have been a legislative duty rather than judicial - but today's legislatures seem to be experts at being pussies and dropping the ball to the other branches) - but not a lot of clamor on it

perhaps a leading question on how the nature of the ruling might be analogous to other areas and if that's good or not

so big agreement across the board, and a couple of potentially interesting tangential topics made available - and yet still some posters manage to be assholes to each other and a few more acting like there is conflict when there really isn't - all the while in agreement. This place (SC) is truly amazing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You know, I find it interesting that America was partly founded by immigrants fleeing religious persecution in Europe, and one of the tenets of America was and is, religious freedom.

Now.... organized religion is doing exactly what was done to them 200-400 years ago, trying to oppress certain segments of society that they do not agree with.

:|

There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

You know, I find it interesting that America was partly founded by immigrants fleeing religious persecution in Europe, and one of the tenets of America was and is, religious freedom.

Now.... organized religion is doing exactly what was done to them 200-400 years ago, trying to oppress certain segments of society that they do not agree with.

:|

I had to extricate myself further from genealogy groups on Facebook for just that reason. It is interesting that the descendants of people hounded out of France by the French Crown... such as the Huguenots who came to the American South in the late 1600's are not more tolerant of other minorities religious or otherwise and using their religion to bludgeon people who are different from them.

normiss

"using their religion to bludgeon people who are different from them"

Isn't that what religions do???

In a university we get all sorts. I've never been metaphorically bludgeoned by a Rastafarian, Shintoist, Buddhist and especially not by a Pastafarian.

billvon

> I've never been metaphorically bludgeoned by a Rastafarian, Shintoist, Buddhist and
> especially not by a Pastafarian.

At least, not that you know of.

Perception is reality when it comes to pasta.