jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

turtlespeed

***Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

I have to say I agree with that idea.

As do I and many others in Florida.

"Heritage not hate" I don't buy it.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

It's way past time for all state and local governments to take down confederate battle flags flying over public property, including government and memorial properties.

State flags also need to have references to the confederate battle flags removed. (Georgia did this several years back)

Then there's the specialty license plates representing each state. IMO they should not make plates with the confederate battle flag on them.

That's all I can think of in terms of government representation in official capacity, if I've termed that correctly.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Rick

******Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

Indeed. You just cannot separate the hate out of that flag's heritage.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

*********Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear. Pretend it never happened? What about the Stars and Stripes and our Northern fore-fathers who owned slaves and even sired children with slave women. I think, we need to make sure our own back yard is neat and clean, first.

Chuck

I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear. Pretend it never happened?

Nobody here has remotely suggested that. With all due respect, sir, demonizing a position by spinning it is not effective persuasion.

>To this day, even though it's used by some with innocent intent, it is used by many
>(even if not all) of those Americans who are bigoted against black people to express
>that bigotry.

I agree - and I am glad it's being taken down for that reason. However, as you mention, not everyone who displays it does so to express bigotry and hatred.

>In the 1960s Charlie Brown and his friends used to wear white sheets as Halloween
>costumes. Of course I don't think for a moment that Charles Schulz was giving a veiled
>nod to the KKK.

Also agreed, and good example there as well.

Andy9o8

I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear. Pretend it never happened?

Nobody here has remotely suggested that. With all due respect, sir, demonizing a position by spinning it is not effective persuasion.

I wasn't trying to spin anything. I was merely asking a question.

Chuck

>I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars
>from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag
>may appear. Pretend it never happened?

Answer: no.

> What about the Stars and Stripes and our Northern fore-fathers who owned slaves
> and even sired children with slave women.

Answer: no again.

billvon

>I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars
>from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag
>may appear. Pretend it never happened?

Answer: no.

> What about the Stars and Stripes and our Northern fore-fathers who owned slaves
> and even sired children with slave women.

Answer: no again.

I see.

Chuck

DanG

I have never seen a black person displaying the Confederate flag. Since it only represents huntin', fishin', and country music, don't you find that odd?

Did you ever hear of the "Virginia Flaggers?" I just learned of them this morning.

http://restoringthehonor.blogspot.com/2015/05/virginia-flagger-karen-cooper-slavery.html

http://restoringthehonor.blogspot.com/2015/02/found-online.html?m=1

http://battleflag.us/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I heard on the radio, yesterday, that the U.S. Military is considering changing the names of various military bases named for Southern Generals, leaders such as Fort Hood, Texas. What's next... changing the names of counties named for Southern Leaders? I think, the whole thing is getting silly. I say, let's forget about it and move forward. Leave it in the dust of history and just work on our individual selves to be better people.

Chuck

billvon

> He is defending its vile symbolism

Do you defend the vile text in the US constitution that requires that you return escaped slaves to their owners?

No, because that has been superceded by duly approved amendment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

masterrig

************Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear. Pretend it never happened? What about the Stars and Stripes and our Northern fore-fathers who owned slaves and even sired children with slave women. I think, we need to make sure our own back yard is neat and clean, first.

Chuck

Slippery slope fallacy.

kallend

***************Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

Chuck

Slippery slope fallacy.

Does the name 'Thomas Jefferson' ring a bell?

Chuck

masterrig

******************Jeb Bush had the confederate flag that flew in Tallahassee taken down in 2001. He said that part of our history now belongs in a museum.

Chuck

Slippery slope fallacy.

Does the name 'Thomas Jefferson' ring a bell?

Chuck

Does this seem familiar?

kallend

Not relevant.
Your statement was STILL a fallacy.

I stated that our 'Northern fore-fathers owned slaves... and backed it up. Now, you state my proof is not relevant. What? You deny it so therefore it's not true? I'm not wasting any more of my time. Have a nice day.

Chuck

masterrig

I heard on the radio, yesterday, that the U.S. Military is considering changing the names of various military bases named for Southern Generals, leaders such as Fort Hood, Texas. What's next... changing the names of counties named for Southern Leaders? I think, the whole thing is getting silly. I say, let's forget about it and move forward. Leave it in the dust of history and just work on our individual selves to be better people. Chuck

I'm still waiting for the dedication of Fort Benedict Arnold. Let me know when that happens.

masterrig

Not relevant.

I stated that our 'Northern fore-fathers owned slaves... and backed it up. Now, you state my proof is not relevant. What? You deny it so therefore it's not true? I'm not wasting any more of my time. Have a nice day.

Chuck

You handily OMITTED your preface, which was: "I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear."

Classic slippery slope fallacy, followed by weaseling.

kallend

Not relevant.

Chuck

You handily OMITTED your preface, which was: "I suppose the next phase will be to remove any resemblance to the Stars and Bars from all history books and museums anywhere the flag or representations of the flag may appear."

Classic slippery slope fallacy, followed by weaseling.

O.K.,,, ya' caught the Tater!

My preface was meant as 'sarcasm'. The rest was meant to make a point.

Chuck

Absolutely they can fly it as individuals. Just as they can fly any other flag as individuals: the Mexican flag, the Soviet Union, or the (Godwinning this thread now ;)) the Nazi flag.

And it says something about them.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)