Amazon

9 African Americans shot in a church in Charleston SC

airdvr

******Yea it sucks, but don't blame him he's the victim here. You respond to your environment, and yes the US is full of shit stains that would rather steal and kill than get a job and work. We were in the grocery store Tuesday getting food for the baseball game and when we got to the front of the store to check out there was about 9 cop cars everywhere. They had just been robbed.

My house has been broken into 2 times in 10 years, and another time just the storage shed was pried open. The fire station where I work at was robbed once and computers were taken, and another station was held at knife point until the guys working agreed to drive the guy across town and drop him off.

My inlaws were robbed by the home health nurse that was taking care of my invalid father in law. A couple months ago my coworker had his front door kicked in and tv and Xbox stolen. I can name dozens of other recent incidents. And this isn't even talking about the violent crimes and murders.

Fortunately I live and work on the south side of Chicago, so I have no such problems.

Still trying to sell that Bad Bad Leroy Brown address? Indiana is on the south side of Chicago as well.

So is Kentucky. Do you have a point?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anvilbrother

So it's completely sane to murder 9 people then?

Just tossing this into the mix for fun. If you were this guy's defense attorney, would you try to present an insanity defense, or argue that he was unfit to be convicted? I'm not sure about the law in S.C., but these would be options in Illinois.

The writer is such a good liberal. All of our problems are because of those damned fundamentalist Christians.

Yep, us against them, one has to totally defeat the other. Yessiree, we are headed for the BIG SUPER BOWL.

I am a fundamental Christian and a hyper-patriot. I was raised to believe the latter and I learned to accept, adopt and adapt to the former.

And, until we learn to pull together, I'm talking about Americans, we are going to live the same base lives as the rest of the world, or worse.

It doesn't look good.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

kallend

Fortunately I live and work on the south side of Chicago, so I have no such problems.

Still trying to sell that Bad Bad Leroy Brown address? Indiana is on the south side of Chicago as well.

Yes John. You want people to believe you live in the infamous South Side of Chicago. You think it impresses people and bolsters your gun control position. You don't live on the South Side...you live south of the city. Huge difference, or maybe you can tell us your personal experience visiting Cabrini-Green.

Moral...don't bullshit a bullshitter ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

From the article:

Rational public policy, including policies that allow reasonable restraints on gun access, simply isn't possible without an informed, engaged, and rationally thinking public.

So the desire for gun rights is based on ignorance?

The 'funny' part about that is that for most anti-gun folks, 'reasonable restraints' include outright bans on guns that have certain cosmetic features.
They also prey on the ignorance of many about the difference between select fire (full auto capable) and semi auto.

I'm certainly in favor of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, but I have yet to see any proposal which would do that.
Every proposal so far has been targeted at keeping the guns out of the hands of the law abiding.

Was this guy a convicted criminal?
Was he demonstrably mentally ill? (there's a big discussion on evil vs mentally ill already - I believe he is evil, not sick)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

RonD1120

The writer is such a good liberal.

First sign of anti-intellectualism: using the world liberal as a pejorative.

All of our problems are because of those damned fundamentalist Christians.

Yep, us against them, one has to totally defeat the other. Yessiree, we are headed for the BIG SUPER BOWL.

Second: boiling the world down to us vs. them, black & white, willfully evading complexity and nuance.

I am a fundamental Christian and a hyper-patriot. I was raised to believe the latter and I learned to accept, adopt and adapt to the former.

Third and fourth.

And, until we learn to pull together, I'm talking about Americans, we are going to live the same base lives as the rest of the world, or worse.

Your hyperpatriotism showing.

It doesn't look good.

It sure doesn't when so many are willfully ignorant and proud of it.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

wolfriverjoe

From the article:

Rational public policy, including policies that allow reasonable restraints on gun access, simply isn't possible without an informed, engaged, and rationally thinking public.

I believe the point is that the solution to mass shootings demands much reasoning and thoughtful, respectful debate as it is a very complex problem that won't be solved in such a climate of willful ignorance.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

The problem isn't guns, it's a basic lack of respect for the sanctity of human life. I don't know how we got here and I'm certainly not sure of how to solve the problem but I don't think more stringent gun control is the answer. It didn't work for drugs and alcohol either.

Destinations by Roxanne

wolfriverjoe

From the article:

The 'funny' part about that is that for most anti-gun folks, 'reasonable restraints' include outright bans on guns that have certain cosmetic features.
They also prey on the ignorance of many about the difference between select fire (full auto capable) and semi auto.

I'm certainly in favor of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, but I have yet to see any proposal which would do that.
Every proposal so far has been targeted at keeping the guns out of the hands of the law abiding.

Was this guy a convicted criminal?
Was he demonstrably mentally ill? (there's a big discussion on evil vs mentally ill already - I believe he is evil, not sick)

I was watching the news this morning and this little douche is yapping his gums about South Carolina not having enough skinheads or KKK branches.. so he will have to do it himself. WTF... that is not mentally ill it is mentally deficient that he is not bright enough to find any of the other mental deficient hate mongers with which to commiserate with. :S:S:S:S

airdvr

Yes John. You want people to believe you live in the infamous South Side of Chicago. You think it impresses people and bolsters your gun control position. You don't live on the South Side...you live south of the city. Huge difference, or maybe you can tell us your personal experience visiting Cabrini-Green.

Moral...don't bullshit a bullshitter ;)

Your ignorance is truly as impressive as your hubris in believing that you are knowledgeable. You certainly verified that you are a bullshitter.

I live IN the CITY of CHICAGO, on the south side. My zip code is 60643.

I work IN the CITY of CHICAGO, on the south side. My zip code there is 60616.

Look them up and apologize for calling me a liar.

airdvr

The problem isn't guns, it's a basic lack of respect for the sanctity of human life.

Carrying a gun indicates that you are willing to take a human life. So much for THAT argument.

Anvilbrother

I don't have enough knowledge In law to give an honest answer.

The reason I'm asking is that, generally, if someone is truly insane, the law says that the person isn't responsible for their actions. If the shooter here were genuinely insane, he might get sent to a mental institution instead of a prison, and might be released if he ever regained his sanity. I'm not sure exactly what S.C. would be on that. But would you have argued that the shooter here had to have been insane to do what he did. Would you be comfortable with him going to a mental institution instead of prison, with the possibility that he might be released some day?

In your world, "willful ignorance" as you call it, will always come from anyone who does not agree with you.

In my world, willful ignorance comes from anyone who even tries to have a conversation with anyone who defines others that way.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

In your world, "willful ignorance" as you call it, will always come from anyone who does not agree with you.

In my world, willful ignorance comes from anyone who even tries to have a conversation with anyone who defines others that way.
Abraham Lincoln

airdvr

The problem isn't guns, it's a basic lack of respect for the sanctity of human life. I don't know how we got here and I'm certainly not sure of how to solve the problem but I don't think more stringent gun control is the answer. It didn't work for drugs and alcohol either.

You know how we got here
It comes from pawning off responsibility for ones action on society.

Abortion is a big part of this mind set.
(not aimed at you specifically)
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I believe you've missed the point of the article and it's hypothesis. Further, your statements are actual supporting examples.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Anvilbrother

You can be mentally ill and still functionally able to live outside of a mental institution......Mentally ill does not=insane.

You seemed to argue he was not sane in post # 201. Did I misinterpret that post? What I was trying to point out was that I suspect that you would like to see the gunman here prosecuted and either sentenced to a very long time in prison, or death. If that's what you want, you shouldn't be arguing that he was not sane. You'd want to argue that he was fully able to discern right from wrong, and appreciate the consequences of his actions. Just trying to help you out here. :)

Well that's funny John. Back in the summer of 2013 you had this to say...

kallend wrote:

I just work there. Live in the 'burbs.

It's a beautiful city by the lake. Sure beats ANYTHING in Texas or Florida (well, except in January).

So I guess you live in the 'burbs when it's convenient...or is that live in the city?

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Well that's funny John. Back in the summer of 2013 you had this to say...

kallend wrote:

I just work there. Live in the 'burbs.

It's a beautiful city by the lake. Sure beats ANYTHING in Texas or Florida (well, except in January).

So I guess you live in the 'burbs when it's convenient...or is that live in the city?

I would venture that you have never visited that part of the metropolitan statistical area.
My mother and stepfather lived for 20 years just a little west of Dr Kallend between Justice and Hickory Hills. Let me assure you they, like almost everyone else there, say they live in Chicago.
Chicago itself only has about 2.5 million people in the city....
BUT
from Wiki

The Chicago MSA, now defined as the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area, is the third largest MSA by population in the United States with a population of 9,554,598 (2014 estimate).[2]

Clicked a random post to reply to-but just in case anyone is wondering what is happening in Charleston-There was a moving message from ministers black and white about strength, mourning, forgiving but not giving up. Hundreds of people of several races from all sorts of backgrounds joined in prayer. A fat hillbilly redneck held hands with an apparently wealthy white woman while a beautiful biracial toddler played with the keys hanging from his beltloop. South Carolina said that hate doesn't win here. Devisiveness doesn't win here. No way. Not today
You are only as strong as the prey you devour