airdvr

Why does Gabby Gifford deserve a ship in her honor?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/12/us-navy-christening-ship-to-honor-gun-control-proponent-gabby-giffords/

Seems a bit of a stretch but what the hell, this is the administration that received a Nobel. Must be kind of like Special Olympics...you get a trophy for showing up.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Littoral combat ships (LCS) are named for regionally-important U.S. cities and communities. (except for the lead ship of the first two classes for this type, USS Freedom (LCS-1) and USS Independence (LCS-2), and the USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10), named for a congresswoman.)

Thereby making no sense whatsoever.
Am I wrong the only thing she did was to rile up gun rights advocates to simply require background checks on all weapons purchases? Like the one the guy that shot her passed?
Third time this has happened I think?

you get a trophy for showing up.

Well, many, if not most, ship-namings are rather political, and this one is, too; but in fairness I think it's more than just "showing up". She took a bullet through the head while making a public appearance as a member of Congress.

Compare that with, for example, Senator John Stennis, who made much of his career as a racist opponent of civil rights. Interestingly enough, he took a bullet, too, while in Congress, but that was a garden-variety robbery. Anyhow, he's got an aircraft carrier named after him.

Bob Hope never served a day in government or in the military, and I don't think he ever got shot. Of course, he sure did a lot of showing up. He has a Navy ship named after him, too.

Anyhow, back to Giffords. I find it interesting that she and another public figure, Reagan's press secretary James Brady, were each lobotomized and permanently disabled by bullets in the line of public service duty, yet they each came to be widely vilified by the Neanderthal wing of the US. Some things just speak for themselves, I guess.

grimmie

Why does a guy that sold weapons to our enemies to fund an illegal war get an aircraft carrier named after him?

I can't wait for a new warship to be named after Obama. Heads will explode.

When some day they name a ship after Bill Clinton, it absolutely must be a submarine.

airdvr

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/12/us-navy-christening-ship-to-honor-gun-control-proponent-gabby-giffords/

Seems a bit of a stretch but what the hell, this is the administration that received a Nobel. Must be kind of like Special Olympics...you get a trophy for showing up.

Why not? The Navy can name a ship for whomever or whatever it wants. Giffords is who they picked. If anyone should be upset it's her husband.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

***http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/12/us-navy-christening-ship-to-honor-gun-control-proponent-gabby-giffords/

Why not? The Navy can name a ship for whomever or whatever it wants. Giffords is who they picked. If anyone should be upset it's her husband.

Why? All he ever did was show up.

Her husband was an accomplished Navy man.

Willie McCool was a Navy man who lost his life in service. Then again, Brown and Clark were on the same flight.

I thi k the whole thinking that others are more worthy. That argument can always be made no matter what the circumstances.

Andy9o8

Hey, speaking of undeserving, there's an aircraft carrier commemorating Ronald Reagan's stateside service making movies during WWII.

Sorry but Commander in Chief is one of the jobs that qualifies, in my kind. Even Bill Clinton.

lawrocket

***Hey, speaking of undeserving, there's an aircraft carrier commemorating Ronald Reagan's stateside service making movies during WWII.

Sorry but Commander in Chief is one of the jobs that qualifies, in my kind. Even Bill Clinton.
Ole Ronnie Raygun did play his role well... except for letting those rewriting the script constantly.

I have always thought is it stupid to name *anything* after a living person. The book is still being written on anyone alive, and they may get caught doing something stupid/illegal in the future, requiring renaming whatever was named after them. Wait until they are dead, and there is a minimal probability of a scandal erupting in the future.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Everyone will be required to wear dress blues.

No I think you have that confused with the blue utility uniforms submariners wear.

"Dress Blues" are an Air Force uniform (uh cut that out right now I know and can hear what you're thinking!:o). The Navy and the Air Force don't want to be confused with one another. Besides, the Village People never sang songs about the Air Force.:S

Boomerdog

Everyone will be required to wear dress blues.

No I think you have that confused with the blue utility uniforms submariners wear.

"Dress Blues" are an Air Force uniform (uh cut that out right now I know and can hear what you're thinking!:o). The Navy and the Air Force don't want to be confused with one another. Besides, the Village People never sang songs about the Air Force.:S

No, I think you are missing his reference.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.