Suslique

Medical prescriptions and personal freedom

markharju

You're forgetting something important - liability. It's your doctor's chop that's going on the prescription form. Were I a medical professional, due diligence would be to schedule periodic revisits. Some medications do lose their effectiveness over time, for example. Naturally I know nothing of your case, and I had the same problem trying to get refills when I was overseas, but one time I lucked out and had a doc in Kuwait give me a year's worth of a med because he knew I was going to Djibouti and couldn't get it there.

Just my $.02...

mh

I get the liability issue, but we are talking about topical cream here. Most people with psoriasis have to change prescriptions from time to time as they become less effective over time. Guess what, anyone who has psoriasis will know very well when the cream stops working. It is pretty obvious when the scales don't go away after application. At that point I would expect a doctor visit would be required. Even then it really shouldn't be required. The Doc will ask me if the cream stopped working and they will respond with, ok let's give this one a try, if it works, great, if not we will try another. Really that shouldn't even require a visit but I can accept that. But when the current cream is still working, there is no reason I should need a doctor visit to renew the script.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Suslique

Will the liability be still an issue if you'd call the doc or wrote him an email instead of visiting?

I do call the doctor and they tell me that I can't get a renewal without coming in for a visit. I have no idea about how liability works in that case.

>Will the liability be still an issue if you'd call the doc or wrote him an email instead of visiting?

One of the quickest ways to lose a medical license in the US is to prescribe drugs without seeing people. (Mainly because of painkiller abuse.)

I see.

So there is no exceptions for chronic illnesses that basically need the same treatment over and over again?

We have a similar law for government financial support. Even if one is permanently disabled (blind for example) he still needs to have a medical check up every 5 (or less I'm not sure how many) years to keep getting the money. My deaf uncle waits for those checkups to troll doctors:)
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

>So there is no exceptions for chronic illnesses that basically need the same treatment
>over and over again?

You mean refills? Yes, most doctors will do refills over the phone. Some will do dosage changes as well. But for a new prescription due to a change in your condition they are going to want to see you.

>They make a poster above visit them for psoriasis refills correct me if I'm wrong..

"Most people with psoriasis have to change prescriptions from time to time as they become less effective over time." I think he meant that he needs to get a new prescription when he changes prescriptions.

billvon

>They make a poster above visit them for psoriasis refills correct me if I'm wrong..

"Most people with psoriasis have to change prescriptions from time to time as they become less effective over time." I think he meant that he needs to get a new prescription when he changes prescriptions.

No, When my existing stuff stops working and I need something new, I can understand the need for a visit, but when I use the same stuff for years on end, then still make me some in for a "check up" just to get a renewal. They usually give me 6 months at a time, but then I have to come in before they give me another 6 months. When I come in for the "check-up" it usually goes like this.

Dr - Any changes to your condition
Me - Nope
Dr - Is the cream that you are using still working for you?
Me - Yep
Dr - Ok here is a new script for another 6 months

Now that doesn't sound like a big deal, but I am not able to take time off of work to go to a Dr appt. Because of what I do, I can only take an entire week off and not a few hours or a day. I am a contractor, so I don't get paid when I don't work. So I end up missing a week of work/pay in order to get a renewal for some cream. I do understand about liability and I know that they probably have patients that aren't able to figure out for themselves if things need to be tweaked, but it is frustrating to say the least.

billvon

>Will the liability be still an issue if you'd call the doc or wrote him an email instead of visiting?

One of the quickest ways to lose a medical license in the US is to prescribe drugs without seeing people. (Mainly because of painkiller abuse.)

Not all drugs that legally require a prescription actually need one for medical reasons. From time to time drugs are taken off the list and move to over the counter. One example I see in the local CVS is Flonase, which only this year became over-the counter.

I'm sure aspirin would be on the list had it not been created a century ago.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Not all drugs that legally require a prescription actually need one for medical reasons.
>From time to time drugs are taken off the list and move to over the counter.

Agreed. And some drugs move in the opposite direction. Seldane was the prescription-only antihistamine of choice for years, even when they knew it had serious cardiotoxic properties. It wasn't removed until a replacement (Allegra) was approved. A generous interpretation of that decision was that they wanted to have an alternative for allergy sufferers; the more pedestrian interpretation is that they didn't want to get rid of a profitable drug until an alternative moneymaker was ready.

billvon

You're married to an MD so your opinion carries a lot more weight as far as I'm concerned.

I got lucky in Kosovo too. I asked the flight surgeon for the KFOR (redacted) attack helicopter company to call in a prescription to my pharmacy back home in Seattle. He gave them his (redacted state) license number, etc. and they honored it B|. Wasn't a narcotic though. I doubt it would have worked in that case. Extraordinary circumstances, but kewl when a doc has balls. That guy did. All troops at Bondsteel had to be armed at all times. As a Colonel he could have worn a Beretta 9mm but he carried an M4 instead B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Suslique

***...fish antibiotics...?

antibiotics that are used in aquariums :)

Chlorine works well.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun