narcimund

Fallout from Obergefell?

Soon we'll hear from the US Supreme Court about Obergefell v. Hodges which might just settle the federal gay marriage situation. There are several possible outcomes but the press seems to anticipate it will go wholly in favour of gay marriage.

I'm curious what people here anticipate the response from the other side might be if that's how it goes. The far right websites I browse for cultural voyeurism are full of sturm und drang. Hundreds and hundreds of thoughtfully written, credibly proofread articles written by seemingly sober people, some of whom are famous, have encouraged wild reactions from their readers. My poll responses are taken directly from these articles. These aren't just one-offs either. They keep coming, one after another, for months!

Are these people just hyperbolic cranks whose websites mimic being popular and organized? Or is there actually momentum to this apocalyptic movement? I don't live in the US any more so I don't get much first-hand information about what's going on down there.

Here in Canada gay marriage was debated 10 years ago, then when it was settled it immediately became yesterday's news. I work with the public from all regions of the country and I'm often asked about my family. I easily mention my husband. Nobody at all -- young, old, different ethnic origins, from small towns or cities, east or west -- even twitches their eye about it. My intuition is roughly the same thing would happen in the US but there's enough noise online to make me curious if the folks here have other views.

(By the way, I know I only post here about gay marriage politics these days, but it's really not an obsession. It's just kinda the last remaining topic in Speaker's Corner that interests me enough to post about.)

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I voted 'dicks'

I think you're super hardcore crazy ass Duggar types will raise a fuss, but nothing violent.

When I lived in Illinois:
Me: Hi, nice to meet you. This is my boyfriend.
Other: Oh, you mean, you 2 are gay? You're...you're out? Wait, 2 guys? Huh?

Where I live now:
Me: Hi nice to meet you. This is my boyfriend.
Other: Nice to meet both of you!

Times are a changin. Too fast for some, but they'll be okay with it soon (i.e. my rich, white, Fox News lovin' parents).

narcimund

Soon we'll hear from the US Supreme Court about Obergefell v. Hodges which might just settle the federal gay marriage situation. There are several possible outcomes but the press seems to anticipate it will go wholly in favour of gay marriage.

I'm curious what people here anticipate the response from the other side might be if that's how it goes. The far right websites I browse for cultural voyeurism are full of sturm und drang. Hundreds and hundreds of thoughtfully written, credibly proofread articles written by seemingly sober people, some of whom are famous, have encouraged wild reactions from their readers. My poll responses are taken directly from these articles. These aren't just one-offs either. They keep coming, one after another, for months!

Are these people just hyperbolic cranks whose websites mimic being popular and organized? Or is there actually momentum to this apocalyptic movement? I don't live in the US any more so I don't get much first-hand information about what's going on down there.

Here in Canada gay marriage was debated 10 years ago, then when it was settled it immediately became yesterday's news. I work with the public from all regions of the country and I'm often asked about my family. I easily mention my husband. Nobody at all -- young, old, different ethnic origins, from small towns or cities, east or west -- even twitches their eye about it. My intuition is roughly the same thing would happen in the US but there's enough noise online to make me curious if the folks here have other views.

(By the way, I know I only post here about gay marriage politics these days, but it's really not an obsession. It's just kinda the last remaining topic in Speaker's Corner that interests me enough to post about.)

There is too much fanatic religious fervor for there to be a loss of interest.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

There is too much fanatic religious fervor for there to be a loss of interest.

-- 2% of society will be obnoxiously and in your face militantly simultaneously angry and happy about it and pre-prepared to find insult from anyone about it.

-- 2% of society will be obnoxiously and in your face militantly simultaneously angry and upset about it and will be loud and ignorant, and make us all uncomfortable around them.

-- 94% will have varying opinions between the 2 -

-- Exactly 50% will look at this and try to figure out how the legislation can favor them personally at the cost of others no matter what lifestyle they are living

-- The other 50% will look at this and try to figure out how this won't result in them bankrolling others no matter what lifestyle they are living

-- Speaker's Corner will continue to debate it as a current problem even though it's now fixed and old news

( ^ just like now)

with an incredible majority thinking - "meh, whatever works. It's about time we got past this and moved on. Glad it's over and turned out correctly."

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Gay, Lesbian and Transgender people did not choose to be gay, lesbians or transgendered. They are born this way and there is no cure. We just need to accept these people for who are and let them get on with their lives. They are not hurting anyone. Plus what about the straight heterosexual person who all of a sudden finds out that their spouse is transgender and wants to transition? Does this mean that the straight heterosexual person loses all their rights through no fault of their own? I do believe religious people should be given the freedom to practice their beliefs, but these religious people do not have the right to tell everyone else how to live. For crying out loud, live and let live.

But it's not just a Religious Right Wing thing (though some will claim that it is) because there are plenty of people on the other side of the fence who seem to think that they too are entitled to dictator to others how they are allowed to think on certain issues. I have no idea why this is, but there does not appear to be a single "Live and let Live and yet still be fiscally responsible" government out there. I guess this is because people who flock to government are power hungry and desire to have complete and total control over the lives of everyone else. Seriously leave me alone. Let me live my life the way I want to live it. I am not harming anyone. And in return I promise I will return the favor and I won't tell anyone else how to live their life. I am still confused why more people don't think this way. Perhaps I am just not normal. But what is normal? Certainly jumping out of aircraft or off of fixed objects would not be considered normal. haha

Edited to add: I voted "nuthin' much" + "boobies" because nothing much will happen and boobies are a beautiful thing.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

narcimund

***There is too much fanatic religious fervor for there to be a loss of interest.

Can you say more about what you think would happen?

I think the majority of extremist Christians will throw One futherfucker of a holy fit about it, until they forget about it and move on. Then that number will decrease to minuscule numbers and you will have a lessening show of bigotry, just as it is with race. It just won't take as long to be trivialized.

There will always be haters.

So pockets of resistance and hate crime will still exist, but in dwindling numbers.

Is that good enough?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I suspect we can look to the history of people's reaction to interracial marriage for an idea of what to expect. Some people will never accept same-sex marriage, and will show their displeasure, but such people are already in the minority and their numbers will decrease as they age and pass on. Most won't really care to intrude on other people's choices, even if that isn't something they would choose for themselves. American society is in generally pretty slow to change, so it is really amazing how quickly public opinion has changed on this issue. So, a minority will complain and be vocal about it, but violence will be rare to non-existent, no-body will move, and 20 years from now you'll have a hard time finding anyone who will admit to wanting things to go back to the way they used to be.

Some time after that (like 200 years), people will vote to go metric.

Don

Can I nominate this for Post Of The Year?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I couldn't give a damn less about gays, lesbians, transgender, transsexual, etc, etc. Just quit shoving it in my face on tv, radio, and internet already. This Bruce Jenner or however you spell shit is out of control. Make everyone equal and then quit fucking talking about it.

The only thing thats worse these days is those nasty quit smoking ads. Especially the one where the dude has the trachea port, and its all slimy and hes cleaning it. Then the other one about vaginal wall collapsing and talking about mesh and rebar footings, or something.....ewww

I have plenty of gay family members, and co workers, and friends, and skydivers. They are not running around throwing glitter in the air and preaching about how different they are. These people that do that erk me on the level of a cross fitter, or marathon runner that always feel the need to slip it into every conversation is what I'm getting at.

Why voice it on an opinion forum?
It's my opinion on the topic. Like I said before make everyone equal as far as laws go, and quit making it the prime news spot.

cvfd1399

Like I said before make everyone equal as far as laws go, and quit making it the prime news spot.

As far as I can tell the amount of "making it the prime news spot" we've experienced is exactly HOW one makes it equal as far as laws go. It wasn't happening on its own.

Personally though I'm sympathetic to your complaint. I find gayness to be annoyingly prominent in the public forum. I don't mean gay people are too gay -- to each their own and bless anyone who throws glitter in their hair. What I mean is the number of commercially published news stories, opinion articles, organized religious arguments, and general political fuss -- on both sides of the divide -- is stupidly loud. Unfortunately this excess is probably necessary to make progress.

I would be very pleased if it dies down once gay marriage gets settled. And that's basically the question I posed in the OP. Will it die down or will the anti-gay side find ways to keep egging it on?

JohnnyMarko

Well, I hope you never have a gay family member.

Have you watched a Super Bowl ever? (American Football)...I don't like half naked girls on TV, so, quit shoving it in my face!!!

It's fine you don't care, but why voice an opinion on a forum?

You said you liked boobies sometimes.
You seem to be as fickle as a woman.:o

:P:P:P

narcimund

***There is too much fanatic religious fervor for there to be a loss of interest.

Can you say more about what you think would happen?

The GOP POTUS wanna be party bus will go on the anti gay "Bakers of Gay Wedding Cakes" hate tour across the heartland. Sarah Palin will rant incoherently about how this is a war on Christians. The yellers at Fox News will lose their minds, cuz you know, pedophiles. The TPNN, The Blaze, Breitbart, Conservativedaily, Weekly Standard and Newsmax will all blame Obama. And the comments under those articles will all be so hateful and poorly written that it will make you glad you live in Canuckistan. The rest of America will be tuning in to "The Bachelor" and the "Caitlyn Jenner Show" and not even know what is going on.

grimmie

The GOP POTUS wanna be party bus will go on the anti gay "Bakers of Gay Wedding Cakes" hate tour across the heartland. Sarah Palin will rant incoherently about how this is a war on Christians. The yellers at Fox News will lose their minds, cuz you know, pedophiles. The TPNN, The Blaze, Breitbart, Conservativedaily, Weekly Standard and Newsmax will all blame Obama. And the comments under those articles will all be so hateful and poorly written that it will make you glad you live in Canuckistan. The rest of America will be tuning in to "The Bachelor" and the "Caitlyn Jenner Show" and not even know what is going on.

Well, that about says it all. I think that's the definitive answer to my question. Thanks everyone else for your contributions but I think we can all go home now.