ryoder

FIFA

ibx

WTF should the US taxpayer be footing the bill?

The US sought them arrested by the Swiss police in order for them to be extradited. Corruption harms the sponsors of FIFA/World Cup. Since the sponsors are by large American corporations like Nike and Coka Cola, the US government is doing what it does best.

Protect corporate interests.

And we can see in Qatar what happens when government interests are protected.

And just like a European to complain about Coca Cola whilst governments are enslaving millions and killing tens of thousands for the sake of preparation for a soccer tournament.

The situation in Qatar was the worst human rights situation in the world until ISIS did it's thing. It continues. All tk line the pockets of Europeans who like to have their meetings at places where even government climate scientists are shaking their heads.

But blame corporations. Yeah. Blame corporations instead of governments.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

kallend

Before picking on two people that you clearly despise, how about giving us a list of politicians who do not accept large donations from corporations?

Even Sanders does. How about a politician that doesn't like Superpacs? Obama hates them so much he couldn't wait to start getting money from them.

Here's a possible solution. All we need is the Senate to be free of it. Eliminate popular election of Senators and return it to appointment by state legislature. That means repeal of the 17th amendment.

Nothing gets through until it passes by the Senate. When Senators don't need to raise money for campaigns then they are pretty well insulated from corporate influence.

SkyDekker

Except the only way to get appointed is to make sure that you have funneled a lot of money to the politicians making up your state government.

Perhaps. The 17th Amendment was passed because kf the perception that the state legislatures were being paid off by the Senators.

It's now turned into Senators being bought and paid for by special interests. The states themselves are subservient on a national scale to Coca Cola and Halliburton.

No it is not perfect. But I think it is an example of how an effort to improve made a bigger problem.

And just like a European to complain about Coca Cola whilst governments are enslaving millions and killing tens of thousands for the sake of preparation for a soccer tournament.

why not? Coca Cola are paying them to do it.

The situation in Qatar was the worst human rights situation in the world until ISIS did it's thing.

No it's not. It's bad, and I despise both the regimes there and the western institutions that facilitate their attempts to buy this veneer of cultural legitimacy, but it's not the worst. The world's a big place, with a lot of sick people.

All to line the pockets of Americans who like to have their meetings at places where even government climate scientists are shaking their heads.

Just as true.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So Sepp Blatter has just been re-elected. I'm not sure if that's awful or good. The awful is obvious, of course. The good might be that it will surely be perceived so widely as being so awful, that it keeps FIFA in the spotlight of scrutiny, rather than just allowing it to lay low until the heat dies down.

Andy9o8

So Sepp Blatter has just been re-elected. I'm not sure if that's awful or good. The awful is obvious, of course. The good might be that it will surely be perceived so widely as being so awful, that it keeps FIFA in the spotlight of scrutiny, rather than just allowing it to lay low until the heat dies down.

Now the "next guy" can't blame the "last guy" for all the BS that's about to be brought up in the investigations.
Remster

ryoder

Jon Stewart's bit hints at an ulterior motive: USA was in the bidding against Qatar for 2022. Far more compelling for an indictment than a series of shady transactions facilitated by US banks. Imagine all of the $ the US government might miss out on in 2022 (still 7 years away...not too late :|)

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

Jon Stewart's bit hints at an ulterior motive: USA was in the bidding against Qatar for 2022. Far more compelling for an indictment than a series of shady transactions facilitated by US banks. Imagine all of the $ the US government might miss out on in 2022 (still 7 years away...not too late :|)

Well, sure. Governments are as greedy as FIFA. The US wants that revenue but didn't want to face questions like Salt Lake City did for those 02 Winter Olympics.

Qatar and Russia can bribe away and not face problems at home. Trying to win an Olympics bid or a FIFA bid without bribing is like rying to win a Tour de France without doping.

John Oliver just did a follow up to his FIFA story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6ar3xJL_Q

"To truly kill a snake, you need to cut off it's head...or in this case, it's asshole.":D

And, as Oliver notes, The Onion strikes again: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/01/411210630/the-onion-strikes-again-indicted-ex-fifa-exec-quotes-satirical-article:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Coreeece

Then call me a Gasosaurus...

(fart)

Not a megasoreass?

Maybe after falling asleep at a soccer game...

You will probably get a yellow card for that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

(fart)

Not a megasoreass?

Maybe if I have a straight red card, they'll just leave my ass alone...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

(fart)

Not a megasoreass?

Bah, not those guys. They will try to milk it with everything they can. But at least the rules prevent them from using their hands on the balls.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

(fart)

Not a megasoreass?

Bah, not those guys. They will try to milk it with everything they can. But at least the rules prevent them from using their hands on the balls.

No shit...the whole point of the game is to kick the balls between the sticks.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Then there is this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30045034
They love "the game" up in New York and give it short shrift in the South.

Would not my avatar give you some indication that I don't really give a flying f#ck what the rest of the country thinks about football, soccer whatever?

Now it's lunchtime... time to go munch on a few trees or a couple of baby Brontosaurus...I haven't decided or looked at menu yet.

You still don't know the name of that movie do you?!?!?