masterblaster72

Desperate migrants on boats: how to solve?

This seems like a phenomenon that won't go away anytime soon. On one hand, who of us wouldn't do the same if we were completely desperate, had no other option, and simply wanted a livable life. On the other hand, the destination countries can only bear so much of this burden.

How do you see solving this problem, if at all?

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

This seems like a phenomenon that won't go away anytime soon. On one hand, who of us wouldn't do the same if we were completely desperate, had no other option, and simply wanted a livable life. On the other hand, the destination countries can only bear so much of this burden.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This. And pressure/help the countries of origin to reduce the outflux (yeah, I know it's not a word, but I like it >:(.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here's a novel idea: let them come into the country and do all the scut work and pick all your fruit and veggies, for sub-subsistence wages while living in deplorable conditions, so food prices stay nice and cheap. Then publicly demonize them as criminals and as stealers of jobs that you wouldn't do yourselves anyway.

In the meantime, make narcotics the most profitable production commodity in their home countries by keeping it illegal in your country, so that the home country will be so saturated by brutal criminal gangs that life will be, and remain, intolerable for ordinary people. Said ordinary people will then scramble head over foot to come into your country and do all your scut work so that their children can at least stay alive instead of dying young with a bullet through their head.

Thus, there will be an endless supply of this cheap labor which you love to hate but hate to admit you love. Oh, and be sure to go to church and extol family values. Rinse, repeat.

Trust me, this is a business model that's been proven successful for 100 years.

Strongly suggest finding a way to fix the shit holes they're fleeing from.

If people are fleeing from a country, that's the actual problem. The boat people are just the symptom.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Strongly suggest finding a way to fix the shit holes they're fleeing from.

If people are fleeing from a country, that's the actual problem. The boat people are just the symptom.

But that's never going to happen, so it's unrealistic as an achievable solution. Shitholes will always exist, and they will always generate refugees.

Andy9o8

***Strongly suggest finding a way to fix the shit holes they're fleeing from.

But that's never going to happen, so it's unrealistic as an achievable solution. Shitholes will always exist, and they will always generate refugees.

I'm not certain that's true.

In the '70s the "boat people" were from Vietnam. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's not quite as bad as it used to be.
quade -

quade

******Strongly suggest finding a way to fix the shit holes they're fleeing from.

I'm not certain that's true.

In the '70s the "boat people" were from Vietnam. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's not quite as bad as it used to be..

I think it's way worse now, there were less than a million "boat people" from 1975-1995. And the majority of them left in 76-77 , when the getting was good. I think Europe is getting just that much on a yearly basis. The "boat people" did very well for themselves in this country.

And on a slightly related subject, some of my Ethiopian coworkers showed a poor quality video of a giant bannana boat attempting to retrieve a tow line offered by a large container type ship. The refugees end up in the water with the container ship trying to recover as many as possible. It appears some from the upper decks were throwing life vest to the flailing people in the water. My coworkers insist it was women and childre being thrown overboard, rubbish.

If any one sees this video please send me a link, I really want to show them how silly they looked, I just about had them seeing it my way, then the link was lost.

jclalor

I think it's way worse now, there were less than a million "boat people" from 1975-1995. And the majority of them left in 76-77 , when the getting was good. I think Europe is getting just that much on a yearly basis. The "boat people" did very well for themselves in this country.

Not my point.

My point is, if the country isn't a shit hole people want to flee because war ends or whatever, it tends to become better over time and people don't NEED to flee.

The country of Vietnam today is FAR better off now than the mid-70s. I haven't heard of a boat full of people fleeing from Vietnam in awhile.
quade -

quade

***I think it's way worse now, there were less than a million "boat people" from 1975-1995. And the majority of them left in 76-77 , when the getting was good. I think Europe is getting just that much on a yearly basis. The "boat people" did very well for themselves in this country.

Not my point.

My point is, if the country isn't a shit hole people want to flee because war ends or whatever, it tends to become better over time and people don't NEED to flee.

The country of Vietnam today is FAR better off now than the mid-70s. I haven't heard of a boat full of people fleeing from Vietnam in awhile.

Consider though that many of these countries are sh*tholes and always will be, but due to remote locations (e.g. inner African countries), they can't easily "boat migrate" like other countries. We can't "fix" every sh*thole country out there and if geography isn't an argument, then why don't we just go in and pick up some more remote potential migrants, you know, just to be fair and all.

Elisha

******I think it's way worse now, there were less than a million "boat people" from 1975-1995. And the majority of them left in 76-77 , when the getting was good. I think Europe is getting just that much on a yearly basis. The "boat people" did very well for themselves in this country.

Not my point.

Consider though that many of these countries are sh*tholes and always will be, but due to remote locations (e.g. inner African countries), they can't easily "boat migrate" like other countries. We can't "fix" every sh*thole country out there and if geography isn't an argument, then why don't we just go in and pick up some more remote potential migrants, you know, just to be fair and all.

That's happened before, I don't think we could understand the language, I think the people that were acting as immigration agents misunderstood them and took them to Europe and North America.:).

I think it must have just been a failure to communicate.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Other:

Accept refugees from despotic, murderous regimes, but only if we apply harsh economic and travel sanctions against those countries. Embargoes too. These regimes must learn that they can't continue doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results. That's just crazy. Just look at Cuba. I'm sure the tyrants have finally agreed to repatriate exiles, release political prisoners, return nationalized/confiscated/stolen wealth to their citizens and foreign entities, and turn themselves in personally for their part in ordering countless murders and other atrocities.