ryoder

Baltimore prosecutor charges police with murder in death of Freddie Gray

Manslaughter something (don't know Maryland laws) for whomever made the decision not to seek medical attention. The van driver remains to be seen, if he did something intentional, then hammer him, if not the same as above.

The rest should be fired and forced to testify against the person(s) who made the decision in lieu of charges.

I understand her charging everyone, it allows her to have leverage, but IMHO doesn't make it right. I believe it was politically motivated, and in the end does more harm than good to the community at large.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

If any of these cops get acquitted, do you think they'll be better or worse cops because of it? Serious question. These cops know exactly what it means to be arrested and face incarceration. Would that experience make them better cops or worse ones? In your opinion..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

skycop

I understand her charging everyone, it allows her to have leverage, but IMHO doesn't make it right. I believe it was politically motivated, and in the end does more harm than good to the community at large.

Maybe, but it's nothing that isn't used against normal suspects every day of the week. Heck, there are entire tracts of anti-drug legislation designed to allow and encourage prosecutors to do exactly that, aren't there?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***I understand her charging everyone, it allows her to have leverage, but IMHO doesn't make it right. I believe it was politically motivated, and in the end does more harm than good to the community at large.

Maybe, but it's nothing that isn't used against normal suspects every day of the week. Heck, there are entire tracts of anti-drug legislation designed to allow and encourage prosecutors to do exactly that, aren't there?

Treating police suspected in a homicide like suspects in a homicide is politically motivated.

I wonder whether the cops talked to investigators. Did these peace officers go for the investigators and their whole, "we just want your side. No need for a lawyer. If you cooperate then the prosecutor will go easy on you. Because the other ones are pointing their fingers at you. Just tell us what happened and you'll walk out of here tonight. You've got nothing to hide. We want to help you."

The only difference between Bill Maher and Michael Moore............? About 250lbs. They are professional trolls.

As far as using leverage against suspects, no it's not unusual at all. And I'm not saying it's improper, but I think in a strategic sense it is a mistake in the manner in which it was done.

Mark my words, the Baltimore PD will become reactive for the next several months, sitting back an answering radio calls. Watch what happens to the crime rate in Baltimore, especially the homicide rate. It happened in Cincinnati after the riots there. The victims of this increase in crime will be the very same people the prosecutor says she is trying to help.

That is a political decision, one that will cost dearly. Hammer the guys for what happened after the arrest, I'm good with that if there was misconduct. Again all the facts haven't come out yet, it will be interesting to say the least.

In some states it is illegal to flee from the police, even with just the threshold of reasonable suspicion. I can't speak for Maryland.

mpohl

I'd like those Americans who blamed Freddie Gray for his own demise to consider this: (1) Walking in your own neighborhood, (2) making eye contact with a police sergeant, and (3) running in the opposite direction taken together do not constitute a crime. It is not a crime if you are white, and it shouldn't be a crime if you are black.

For once, I agree with you.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

"Mark my words"

I have yet to see this comment work for anyone.
:D

"In some states it is illegal to flee from the police, even with just the threshold of reasonable suspicion."

That's insane. More so in times of late. We civilians have valid reasons to fear the cops. We're discussing just such a case. He was killed for it. What other justification do we require?

Oh wait. I'm white. Never mind.
[:/]

Treating police suspected in a homicide like suspects in a homicide is politically motivated.

:( Seriously?
So, they just get a pass?

I highly respect law enforcement officers. I realize they have to make difficult decisions all the time. I am glad that they protect me.

Maybe you mean that a lot of other factors need to be taken into account. But the idea that when a HOMICIDE happens/is suspected, cops being held as accountable as the average Joe or Jane citizen is just politics .... this gives me chills.

I hope you can explain further: Why should LEO's being suspected of homicide be treated or investigated differently than the average citizen being suspected of homicide? And, why is it automatically political in your opinion?

>Treating police suspected in a homicide like suspects in a homicide is politically
>motivated.

Treating police like people? Treating whites like blacks? Treating gays like normal people? What sort of politically-motivated holocaust are we headed towards?

>I wonder whether the cops talked to investigators. Did these peace officers go for the
>investigators and their whole, "we just want your side. No need for a lawyer."

Perhaps they did. People fall for that quite often when police use similar tactics.

My statement was my interpretation of the point of another. You are correct. It is ridiculous.

I note that Dershowitz has weighed in. As much as he is not a right winger he has also never been regarded as a friend to prosecutors.

lawrocket

I note that Dershowitz has weighed in.

Yeah, there's a real shocker. Dershowitz is a serial self promoter who never passes up the chance to stage an interview, replete with quotable hyperbole, to nourish his public image.

Andy9o8

I note that Dershowitz has weighed in.

Yeah, there's a real shocker. Dershowitz is a serial self promoter who never passes up the chance to stage an interview, replete with quotable hyperbole, to nourish his public image.

Is there a class in Law school that teaches that branch of "ethics"

normiss

Helps what?
A criminal defense attorney has an opinion, nice.
:S

ETA: You're correct that I have no idea what you may be, but if you watch the Blaze as a news source, it's actually pretty telling.

Owned by CryBecky

TheBlaze is an independent news and entertainment television network and website founded by talk radio personality and entrepreneur Glenn Beck.

ETA: You're correct that I have no idea what you may be, but if you watch the Blaze as a news source, it's actually pretty telling.

Yawn.............it was the first thing that came up when I heard Dershowitz made comments, there were two sources posted...............

I can certainly appreciate a search result when we look for info, no doubt.
But seriously? One of the most right wing radical nut jobs out there as a source just doesn't help. That guy sells fear and paranoia with a large serving of bullshit.