kallend

70 years ago today...

Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.

Maybe or maybe not. It could also be argued that he as a younger man was in competition with others to fill a role that others were also seeking to fill, and he won the competition to the top. Sometimes the man makes the times, and sometimes the times make the man. By comparative analogy, had Stalin not won the competition to be the brutal successor to Lenin, someone else would have.

Driver1

Maybe, maybe not.

Conditions in Germany during the depression were perfect for the rise of a dictator of some sort.

If it hadn't been Hitler, it probably would have been someone else (Goebbels, Strasser, Himmler or Goering are prime candidates).

Edit to add: Ah, Andy beat me to it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Anvilbrother

Everyone always says hitler was a bad guy. I don't think he was, I mean come on he did kill hitler.

He actually did a lot of good for Germany before he got greedy and wanted Austria. The rest went downhill pretty steeply.
--
Rob

rhaig

***Everyone always says hitler was a bad guy. I don't think he was, I mean come on he did kill hitler.

He actually did a lot of good for Germany before he got greedy and wanted Austria. The rest went downhill pretty steeply.

You really think his evil was mainly in foreign policy?

Driver1

Imagine a German Army run by the generals instead of the IDIOT.

A lot of our technology in weaponry has a starting point right back to German weapons of WWII

>Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI
>when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go,
>there could have been no Third Reich.

Or someone more competent could have stepped in to fill that vacancy.

Andy9o8

***Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.

Maybe or maybe not. It could also be argued that he as a younger man was in competition with others to fill a role that others were also seeking to fill, and he won the competition to the top. Sometimes the man makes the times, and sometimes the times make the man. By comparative analogy, had Stalin not won the competition to be the brutal successor to Lenin, someone else would have.

Beria was a real charmer.

Amazon

***Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.

A lot of our technology in weaponry has a starting point right back to German weapons of WWII

Much of it was copied from work done at my school. In the 1930s, the Verein für Raumschiffahrt published German translations of every relevant U.S. Patent granted to the Valedictorian of the Class of 1907 (though he taught across town, his research was not done there).

The first operational prototypes of the V-1 and V-2 flew in the US of A.

BSBD,

Winsor

Andy9o8

******Everyone always says hitler was a bad guy. I don't think he was, I mean come on he did kill hitler.

No. But that's where it started. Then it "went downhill pretty steeply."

I typed that slowly so you could pick up on it this time. :P
--
Rob

rhaig

*********Everyone always says hitler was a bad guy. I don't think he was, I mean come on he did kill hitler.

No, Austria isn't where it started. Hitler became chancellor in 1933. Enactment of the Nazi era of German anti-Jewish laws also began in 1933... and onward from there. The Annexation of Austria took place in 1938.

winsor

******Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.

Much of it was copied from work done at my school. In the 1930s, the Verein für Raumschiffahrt published German translations of every relevant U.S. Patent granted to the Valedictorian of the Class of 1907 (though he taught across town, his research was not done there).

BSBD,

Winsor

I am sure that was lost on all the Sherman or Pershing crews who went up in flames when going up against Panzers, Panzer2's or Tiger's with an 88mm or the thousands of GI's who had to deal with MG-42's in front of them with higher rates of fire than our outdated .30 Cal. Imagine if the Idiot had not been allowed to go to Poland in 1939..... or to the Soviet Union in 1941. It would be a far different world had their scientists and arms industries been given a few more years... The point is.. they had superior weapons... luckily we had production capacity to overwhelm that with sheer numbers since they had no way to lessen that production as we were trying to do theirs... with limited results I might add ( it caused the deaths of many thousands of US and British aircrews). They always seemed to up their production through out the war till even the late stages.

Andy9o8

************Everyone always says hitler was a bad guy. I don't think he was, I mean come on he did kill hitler.

No, Austria isn't where it started. Hitler became chancellor in 1933. Enactment of the Nazi era of German anti-Jewish laws also began in 1933... and onward from there. The Annexation of Austria took place in 1938.

I stand corrected. Was based on my memory of research done by a lazy 16 year old 30 years ago.
--
Rob

May 1 ....Operation Chowhound began. 3rd Air Division B-17s dropped food over the airport in Amsterdam. Dad (452nd Bomb Group) participated in 3 of the flights ...2 while the area was still occupied and 1 afterwards. Brits began a few days earlier with Operation Manna. Dad said they feigned trouble with the bomb bay and intentionally withheld some of the supplies which they unloaded over the countryside, thinking the occupying troops might confiscate the stuff at the designated drop zone.

Amazon

*********Imagine if the American soldier who encountered Adolf Hitler in a forest during WWI when he was just a simple German soldier, had shot him dead instead of letting him go, there could have been no Third Reich.

BSBD,

Winsor

I am sure that was lost on all the Sherman or Pershing crews who went up in flames when going up against Panzers, Panzer2's or Tiger's with an 88mm or the thousands of GI's who had to deal with MG-42's in front of them with higher rates of fire than our outdated .30 Cal. Imagine if the Idiot had not been allowed to go to Poland in 1939..... or to the Soviet Union in 1941. It would be a far different world had their scientists and arms industries been given a few more years... The point is.. they had superior weapons... luckily we had production capacity to overwhelm that with sheer numbers since they had no way to lessen that production as we were trying to do theirs... with limited results I might add ( it caused the deaths of many thousands of US and British aircrews). They always seemed to up their production through out the war till even the late stages.

I will not dispute for a second that any armor we fielded was junk, particularly the vaunted M4 Sherman (which was to armored warfare what the Big Mac is to food). The low velocity 75mm gun was at best annoying to the Germans, it ran on gasoline so it tended to explode when hit, it had a high profile so it was easy to hit, and its armor was barely sufficient to decelerate the round when it was hit.

The superiority of the MG 42 was not by dint of its rate of fire so much as its superior design. The .30 caliber Browning worked fine, but was nowhere near as flexible.

The M1 Garand had it all over the K98 Mauser, and the 1911A1 beats anyone's 9x19.

The 88mm Flieger Abwehr Kanone was a brilliant piece of equipment. The combination of range, accuracy and punch put it head and shoulders above anything we had.

In any event, my point was that the Panzerfaust came from my school, as did jet aircraft, cruise missles and the liquid fueled rocket. The Area Rule that put Century Series fighters on the map came from our Aerodynamics Department - but we are also responsible for such technological turkeys as the catalytic converter and the Segway (Kaman was a dropout, but so was Atwater Kent).

Don't get me wrong, I am not pleased that Germany went all Godwin in the 30s. My family would have been a lot larger if they had taken a different approach (or maybe we would ALL have been wiped out...).

BSBD,

Winsor

I am sure that was lost on all the Sherman or Pershing crews who went up in flames when going up against Panzers, Panzer2's or Tiger's with an 88mm... It would be a far different world had their scientists and arms industries been given a few more years... The point is.. they had superior weapons... luckily we had production capacity to overwhelm that with sheer numbers

It wasn't lucky, it was by design.

The Sherman wasn't a worse tank than the Tiger per se, it was made to do a different job. A fast, mobile infantry support unit that could almost always call in air support when it came across German heavy armour. It was also designed to be produced in massive numbers. Even given equal production facilities and materials the Germans couldn't have made anywhere near the number of Tigers and Panzers as the US could Shermans, or used them in the same roles.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?