Amazon

Here we go again.. and again

(from the article) "he was mobile and talking when loaded into the police van that transported him to the police station, although they said that the van had to be stopped en route to the station in order to add additional restraints."

so they stopped broke his spine and then continued on to the station >:(

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

lawrocket

Anybody else get the sense that this has been going on for a very long time? Only difference is that there are a lot of people who are videoing these incidents now.

I think the black community has been saying for a long time that this has been going on.

Until video showed up the general response from the white community has been: They must have done something to deserve it. Can't really be that bad.

Following article isn't entirely on topic, but certainly a good read and provided at least for me a bit of the other side of the coin. A perspective I hadn't really thought about yet:

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2015/04/21/skin-im-ive-interrogated-police-50-times-im-black/

Thanks for posting that article. I like this observation from one of the comments:"Not because you're black, but because they're racist. I realize that's a fine point of distinction, but one view subtly places the essential point on you and the other on the police that harassed you."
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

normiss

Only in American police work can a suspect commit suicide by shooting himself in the chest, while locked in a police car, with his hands handcuffed behind his back.
:|

American exceptionalism!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Rick

Thanks for posting that article. I like this observation from one of the comments:"Not because you're black, but because they're racist. I realize that's a fine point of distinction, but one view subtly places the essential point on you and the other on the police that harassed you."

I took away from it that when you feel needlessly harassed on a continuous basis, you start to feel resentment. I can understand that at some point that resentment boils over.

SkyDekker

***Thanks for posting that article. I like this observation from one of the comments:"Not because you're black, but because they're racist. I realize that's a fine point of distinction, but one view subtly places the essential point on you and the other on the police that harassed you."

I took away from it that when you feel needlessly harassed on a continuous basis, you start to feel resentment. I can understand that at some point that resentment boils over.

...and that's a legitimate point, but you're talking about one black man's perspective living in a predominantly white area in Canada. I don't think that should be projected onto the level of American racism found in it's predominately black neighborhoods.

What hit me the hardest about the article was the part of “double-consciousness”:

"When I walk down the street, I find myself imagining that strangers view me with suspicion and fear. This phenomenon is what the African-American writer and activist W.E.B. Du Bois described as “double-consciousness”: how blacks experience reality through their own eyes and through the eyes of a society that prejudges them."

I mean, that's so depressing to me on so many levels...

But for starters, the guy couldn't even handle the simple question of "so, where are you from?" without thinking that it was some type of racist comment about him not belonging there...

It's this "imagined" racism that seems to be the issue these days...and it sucks because it's a legitimate concern. How can you erase that? Even if black people know it's not racism, they still have to live with the distraction of that involuntary emotion/thought/reaction...

...which is why I think it's important to have a truthful conversation without people ignorantly defending against imagined racism...it only exacerbates the situation to the point where it will never end.

Will white people be sensitive to the situation and promote diversity? I don't know...

Regardless tho, will black people take advantage of their civil rights that their ancestors could've only dreamed of, and continue to fight without making excuses? I don't know...

We all have to fight for what we want, we all have to take personal responsibility - some of us will have to fight more than others, regardless of race.

This shit don't come easy....
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

...and that's a legitimate point, but you're talking about one black man's perspective living in a predominantly white area in Canada. I don't think that should be projected onto the level of American racism found in it's predominately black neighborhoods.

Where he initially grew up in when to school, yes. Once he moved to Toronto and the neighbourhoods he says he lived in, no.

But for starters, the guy couldn't even handle the simple question of "so, where are you from?"

I didn't get that. WHat I got is that he found he get's asked that question significantly more often than white people get asked that question, based solely on t6eh colour of his skin.

Regardless of that, it is indeed but the viewpoint of one person. To me it highlighted how a lot of small things can escalate into a much larger thing.

Just look at what is happening on this forum. Many Americans posting here are so tired of little snipes taken at their country that they get very upset.

Now imagine that happening in real life, on a personal level.

lawrocket

Anybody else get the sense that this has been going on for a very long time? Only difference is that there are a lot of people who are videoing these incidents now.

Well, Richard Pryor had a bit about this back in the 70s.

Police got a chokehold they use out here though, man. They choke niggers to death! That mean you be dead when they're through. Did you know that? Niggers go, "Yeah, we know!" Whites go, "No! I had no idea!" Two grab your legs, one grabs your head and go SNAP! "Oh shit, he broke. Can you break a nigger? Is it okay? Let's check the manual. Yep, page 8: You can break a nigger. Right there, see?"

So yeah, I think it's been going on for a while.

Note the part about "Black people go "Yeah, we know!" and white people go "No! I had no idea!"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SkyDekker

Where he initially grew up in when to school, yes. Once he moved to Toronto and the neighbourhoods he says he lived in, no.

***But for starters, the guy couldn't even handle the simple question of "so, where are you from?"

I didn't get that. WHat I got is that he found he get's asked that question significantly more often than white people get asked that question, based solely on t6eh colour of his skin.

Regardless of that, it is indeed but the viewpoint of one person. To me it highlighted how a lot of small things can escalate into a much larger thing.

Just look at what is happening on this forum. Many Americans posting here are so tired of little snipes taken at their country that they get very upset.

Now imagine that happening in real life, on a personal level.

So now you're saying that not only can white people not know what it's like to be black, but he as a black man does know exactly how many times a white person is asked where he's from, and it's much less than how many times he is asked....

I ask white people where they're from all the time. And if I through something out of the car in front of a cop, I wouldn't be surprised to be pulled over for littering. Seems to me the cop was just doing his job during this formative event in young Mr Cole's life.

If he walks around imagining what other people see him as, he should be able to imagine what a white cop walks around imagining what the people in their own urban beats see them as. He condones it on one hand, and criticizes it on the other.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

He stole a customers Maserati and drove at the LEOs. IMO that is very strange behavior for parking violations. No sympathy here.

http://newsone.com/3101909/nicholas-taft-thomas-shot-killed-bygeorgia-police-in-maserati/
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

He stole a customers Maserati and drove at the LEOs. IMO that is very strange behavior for parking violations. No sympathy here.

http://newsone.com/3101909/nicholas-taft-thomas-shot-killed-bygeorgia-police-in-maserati/

Nice excuse.. EXCEPT if he was driving AT the cops why are all the bullet holes in the back and side of the car..Cobb County... yeah no history with white sheets there in Cobb County???

Witnesses claim Thomas hopped into a customer’s Maserati and tried to drive away. As police surrounded the vehicle, Thomas was instructed to step out of the car. It was then that Thomas put the car in reverse and police fired their weapons, fatally shooting him. According to the AJC:

When you are surrounded by police it is in your best interest not to be stupid.

That happened about two hours down the road from where I live. The incident is over a month hold. Nothing else has been on the news. I think a white female veteran standing up for our flag took precedence.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Witnesses claim Thomas hopped into a customer’s Maserati and tried to drive away. As police surrounded the vehicle, Thomas was instructed to step out of the car. It was then that Thomas put the car in reverse and police fired their weapons, fatally shooting him. According to the AJC:

When you are surrounded by police it is in your best interest not to be stupid.

That happened about two hours down the road from where I live. The incident is over a month hold. Nothing else has been on the news. I think a white female veteran standing up for our flag took precedence.

The one who drug the flag on the ground and dishonored her Uniform.... mmm yeah... great Patriot wrapped in "the Flag" there. I seem to remember way back there in 1971..... a lot of training in Basic about what not to do in uniform among other things. That seems to have been lost on the newer generations of showing up to political events and other stupid displays while in Uniform.

Little wonder very little would show up in your media. Did you even read the first article??? especially the part about police cant shoot people when running away except for if they were in the commission of a violent crime. So they continue to trot out they feared for their lives mantra... while standing their ground while the black guys are trying to get away from the usual lessons the police have been giving them for years.

I think this is more pertinent..... History repeats

The area in question and the area where I live are in the "less than average" classification.

BTW, the female AF veteran was not in uniform.

The one who drug the flag on the ground and dishonored her Uniform.... mmm yeah...

She picked the flag up off the ground after others had walked all over it. Then tried to properly handle the situation, but instead, got beat up by the police.
Life is short ... jump often.

jumpsalot-2

The one who drug the flag on the ground and dishonored her Uniform.... mmm yeah...

She picked the flag up off the ground after others had walked all over it. Then tried to properly handle the situation, but instead, got beat up by the police.

Way to Serve and honor the USAF:S:S

In January 2007 she was relieved of duty and placed under investigation for posing nude in Playboy magazine.[2] She was subsequently demoted to Senior Airman, a move which caused her to leave the Air Force.[3][4][5]

https://hemlockandashes.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/michelle-manhart-flag-respect.jpg

Along the same lines. But I'm posting this because, well, check out the pin necklace on the lady narrating. I know we all love police and everyone thinks it's a bad idea to hold them accountable, that issue is solved. I'm concerned about why the speaker is wearing a pin necklace.

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-shows-police-breaking-window-tasing-passenger-2014-10

-SPACE-

Calvin19

Along the same lines. But I'm posting this because, well, check out the pin necklace on the lady narrating. I know we all love police and everyone thinks it's a bad idea to hold them accountable, that issue is solved. I'm concerned about why the speaker is wearing a pin necklace.

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-shows-police-breaking-window-tasing-passenger-2014-10

Good catch :)