Driver1

Gun wielding good samaritan halts carjacking in progress.

SkyDekker

No
Sandy Hook has little to do with the price of out 2nd Amendment

Thank you for taking the bait to show that your argument is being driven by emotion, which is exactly what derek was trying to point out.

There is a price to be paid for everything, including the easy availability of guns.

Conversly, there would be a price to payed if we removed all guns

Agreed, I have stated many times before that banning all guns wouldn't be an option for the US.

Claiming all the good guns do, while blaming the negatives associated with it on something else is dishonest though.

the only time I see the good guns argument is in rebuttal to the bad guns argument so you have no point there

In the end however, based on what you just posted here, more gun restrictions would only impact those law abiding people who would not commit the carnage in the first place

The issue is not guns
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

...Sandy Hook is the price you pay for your 2nd amendment. ...

That's a f'n deal, no matter how you slice it! ...compared to costs paid by souls in Russia under Stalin, Europe under Hitler, Asia under Mao Tze Tung, and Pol Pot.

The price of Freedom isn't free. Be careful what you wish for.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Hooknswoop

Do you accept 90 deaths/day as the price to drive your car?

Derek V

He's using the Chewbacca defense.

Traffic is totally unrelated to the thread topic.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

turtlespeed

******Some actually are. How many lives are saved by guns each day? I can throw facts without numbers also.

Tell us how many lives are saved by guns in the USA every day, then.

320,000,000 or so. Just rounding down.

You realize that is absurd, of course. Well, in your case, maybe not.

the only time I see the good guns argument is in rebuttal to the bad guns argument

This thread is clear evidence of you being wrong.

You know what Marc, I am sure you are a bright guy, but this tendency to "dig in no matter what" gives people the exact opposite impression.

SkyDekker

Just because gun owners tend to oppose regulations as brought forward by gun control groups, it does not prove the non-existence of regulations/measures that gun rights advocates would be okay with.

This wasn't the result of regulations. This was a business deciding to carry a gun with an additional safety measure.

The fear was that bringing attention to such a product might lead to legislation therefor it had to be opposed immediately. This almost put the gun store out of business.

The result is that the market for any type of safety improvement to guns is effectively zero. Gun purchasers set the market.

There was no "might lead to legislation" the legislation was already there. The legislation was written as a time bomb to go off as soon as the gun went on sale. California did a similar thing with microstamping only they wrote that time bomb to go off as soon as the technology was no longer encumbered by patents (nobody even makes such a gun but any new gun is already required to have it.)

Since that whole ordeal, the NJAG made a press release stating the firearm in question was not restrictive / user-selective enough (it's actually not biometric as you stated, btw) to trigger the law. Consequently, people generally don't care about the thing anymore.

Again, though, just because I don't agree with politicians writing laws mandating technology that doesn't exist (it's pretty clear they are doing it because it doesn't exist and not for safety reasons) doesn't prove the non-existence of regulations that I agree with.

The point he was making, and you either missed or refuse to acknowledge, is that the US population IS saved by virtue of our citizens being armed under the 2nd Amendment. A quick look at world history proves the point....

is that the US population IS saved by virtue of our citizens being armed under the 2nd Amendment. A quick look at world history proves the point....

Not sure how you get to that?

Canada does quite alright without a similar 2nd Amendment.
Iraq's population was armed, yet Saddam had no problem rising to and staying in power.

SkyDekker

No

Thank you for taking the bait to show that your argument is being driven by emotion, which is exactly what derek was trying to point out.

There is a price to be paid for everything, including the easy availability of guns.

Tell me one politician who doesn't use gun control based on emotions. They wait until the next tragedy to use that as fodder for their agenda.

Glitch

The point he was making, and you either missed or refuse to acknowledge, is that the US population IS saved by virtue of our citizens being armed under the 2nd Amendment. A quick look at world history proves the point....

Ummmm - NO.

regulator

No

Tell me one politician who doesn't use gun control based on emotions. They wait until the next tragedy to use that as fodder for their agenda.

Well, apparently it surprises YOU, but a lot of NORMAL people in addition to politicians have an emotional response when a loony gunman shoots 20 little children and 6 adult staff members dead.

True, but he used rather sadistic tactics to maintain power, and the Iraqi citizens didn't live in anything resembling a 'free' society.

The 2nd provides it's citizens a 'last resort' if you will against the tyranny of govt. An armed populace is a free populace.

rushmc

You miss my point. Their is a price to be paid. You do not want to admit that you are willing to pay that price for driving your car.

No, I get your point completely. I have made the same point here before. Sandy Hook is the price you pay for your 2nd amendment.

That doesn't mean you just have to accept the price and move on.

Like you say, in skydiving a price is paid as well. Yet we still try and regulate to some degree. We don't just shrug our shoulders and go, meh, just the price we pay.

No

But the link needs to be made to try and make the argument you are trying to make

Sandy Hook was more about support for those with mental health issues

Not being able to help them has risen because of medical privacy issues

Medical privacy issues were put in place for a specific disease/issue

Do you happen to know what disease this is? The one that pushed HIPPA laws being put into place?

This fine country moved beyond warehousing mentally ill people. Turns out that unless you present an immediate danger to self or others, you are free (yes, that word that forms the root of freedom) to not get care.

This isn't the days of lobotomizing people for personality issues. Are you a closet Kennedy?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

You miss my point. Their is a price to be paid. You do not want to admit that you are willing to pay that price for driving your car.

No, I get your point completely. I have made the same point here before. Sandy Hook is the price you pay for your 2nd amendment.

That doesn't mean you just have to accept the price and move on.

Like you say, in skydiving a price is paid as well. Yet we still try and regulate to some degree. We don't just shrug our shoulders and go, meh, just the price we pay.

No

But the link needs to be made to try and make the argument you are trying to make

Sandy Hook was more about support for those with mental health issues

Not being able to help them has risen because of medical privacy issues

Medical privacy issues were put in place for a specific disease/issue

Do you happen to know what disease this is? The one that pushed HIPPA laws being put into place?

This fine country moved beyond warehousing mentally ill people. Turns out that unless you present an immediate danger to self or others, you are free (yes, that word that forms the root of freedom) to not get care.

This isn't the days of lobotomizing people for personality issues. Are you a closet Kennedy?

All I was doing was stating what the problem was. I don't think you can find any where in my posts where I indicate Iwant to go back to what you reference here. That's really not like you.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln