Driver1

Indiana law prompts pizzeria to state they will deny catering to gays/lesbians

DanG

Well put, but is only tertiary to the subject, which is individual rights.

An individual's rights end when they infringe on another person's rights. As a public business, and owner does not have the right to refuse service to a class of people. Doing so infringes on their rights.

If the baker/pizza guy/photographer doesn't want to interact with the public (all of the public) as a public business, they he doesn't have to. Once they open their doors to the public, they have to treat everyone equally.

Even under threat of death? That's what these conscientious objectors to the Culture Wars are being subjected to by the intolerant.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

Well put, but is only tertiary to the subject, which is individual rights.

An individual's rights end when they infringe on another person's rights. As a public business, and owner does not have the right to refuse service to a class of people. Doing so infringes on their rights.

If the baker/pizza guy/photographer doesn't want to interact with the public (all of the public) as a public business, they he doesn't have to. Once they open their doors to the public, they have to treat everyone equally.

Even under threat of death? That's what these conscientious objectors to the Culture Wars are being subjected to by the intolerant.

mh

Yet somehow I have this feeling that you aren't as upset by the death threats made to a private business owner in this case:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/02/maryland-smart-gun_n_5255104.html

Should I set up a gofundme.com site so you can show your outrage?

Yet somehow I have this feeling that you aren't as upset by the death threats made to a private business owner in this case:

Then you would be wrong. An outrageous act by moral cowards, I would call that, to threaten someone in such a fashion. I hope you agree.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Andy9o8

Sorry
the pizzaria is a private business

Sorry back atcha. Google "Negroes at lunch counters" and study the hits.

Dont need to
I know what will come up

I view race issues (especially when viewed under the history of this country) differently than anything else

but, classifying as many special interest groups the same as race keeps those in your line of work rich
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

markharju

Then you would be wrong. An outrageous act by moral cowards, I would call that, to threaten someone in such a fashion. I hope you agree.

mh

I think that sending death threats is indeed abysmal and a coward's act.

I don't agree with you this has to do with individual rights. You go in business, you have to accept the rules surrounding business.

IMHO, refusing to cater a gay wedding is retarded. Sending the pizzeria death threats because they have stated they would decline to cater a gay wedding is retarded to.

Quite frankly, the fact a law would be required to force people to not discriminate against people is retarded. But then there are a lot of retarded people.

JohnnyMarko

***I'm still wondering where the faggy pizza wedding is.

Sorry, I put too much glitter in your first invite and didn't put enough postage on...Resent it sans glitter, should get to you by Friday.

:D:D:D
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Yes, they are different. The difference has been explained repeatedly, and this is the last time I'm going to bother.

The first baker refused service to a person because of who he was: a gay man.

The second service refused service to a person because of the type of service he wanted: offensive language.

If the gay man from the first story came in and asked for a big throbbing penis cake, the owner could have refused based on the fact that they don't do sexual cakes.

Similarly, if the baker from the second story had refused to make Bible cakes because the customer was a Christian, then they would be wrong. In reality, she clearly stated she had no problem serving a Christian, or making Bible themed cakes, but she rightly could refuse to put offensive words on those cakes.

If you don't get the difference, I can't help you.

- Dan G

Figures

The so called offensive language was bible versus

At least I know where you stand
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

Damn. I didn't even have time to get the popcorn.

I know I know
You two row the same boat[:/]

NOT!
Abraham Lincoln

The so called offensive language was bible versus

Hmm, I can't remember reading "God hates gays", or seeing a picture of two men holding hands with a red X through it in the Bible.

You must have read a different version than I did.

At least I know where you stand

No, you clearly don't, but I'm sick of explaining it.

- Dan G

I believe Dan and I have rarely, VERY rarely, ended up in the "same boat" as you say.
I do agree with him (and a LOT of people) regarding equal treatment for ALL. Not special treatment for SOME.

You will never understand the difference.

Peace out.

DanG

No, you clearly don't, but I'm sick of explaining it.

You should be......
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

Yes, they are different. The difference has been explained repeatedly, and this is the last time I'm going to bother.

The first baker refused service to a person because of who he was: a gay man.

The second service refused service to a person because of the type of service he wanted: offensive language.

If the gay man from the first story came in and asked for a big throbbing penis cake, the owner could have refused based on the fact that they don't do sexual cakes.

Similarly, if the baker from the second story had refused to make Bible cakes because the customer was a Christian, then they would be wrong. In reality, she clearly stated she had no problem serving a Christian, or making Bible themed cakes, but she rightly could refuse to put offensive words on those cakes.

If you don't get the difference, I can't help you.

DanG is correct. There is a subtle but crucial difference.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

tonyhathaway

I believe in equal treatment for all when it comes to gay marriage. There is NO WAY heterosexual people should be allowed to get married! ;)

I prefer to think of it as: There's no way gay people should be allowed to escape divorce.