Driver1

Indiana law prompts pizzeria to state they will deny catering to gays/lesbians

Coreeece

Looks like the nice people who own that pizzeria will have to cater the gay wedding after all.

Ya, in pizza boxes with bible quotes on them.....

I wonder if there's a law against that....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Ya, in pizza boxes with bible quotes on them...problem solved. "
Strange you should mention that. Trijicon used to inscribe biblical references on their scopes. Some of the soldiers who worked closely with Muslims in places like Iraq and Afghanistan thought that could be "distracting" and Trijicon stopped putting the references on scopes sold to the government in 2010.
You know, the discussion this year is mainly from the point of view of right-thinking, God-fearing Christians who want to be selective about who they do business with. Just let a gay jeweler announce that he won't sell wedding rings to Christians, based on their view that homosexuality is a sin, and this discussion takes a U-turn.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

cvfd1399

So as long as I say im not interested in doing your cake I am too tired for such a type of cake today, or I am too busy, or I dont have the proper ingredients were good then?

Yeah, that's where things could get tricky. A business owner might get away with that once or twice, but if there is a repeated pattern of being too "tired" or "busy" to serve gays, look out for the lawsuit.

rehmwa

Looks like the nice people who own that pizzeria will have to cater the gay wedding after all.

In-N-Out Burger puts bible references on some of their containers. I don't see a problem with it.

But I'm still wondering why a pizza joint would be concerned about having to cater a gay wedding - probably not a scenario that comes up too often.

Shotgun

In-N-Out Burger puts bible references on some of their containers. I don't see a problem with it.

But I'm still wondering why a pizza joint would be concerned about having to cater a gay wedding - probably not a scenario that comes up too often.

A marketing scam to fleece fellow bigots who missed the lords actual message???

Bertt

Just let a gay jeweler announce that he won't sell wedding rings to Christians, based on their view that homosexuality is a sin, and this discussion takes a U-turn.

...and when that business model fails, he can open a gun shop in Texas and refuse service to conservatives for good measure.

As it's been illustrated many times already, this isn't about people refusing to serve a particular group.

I refused media production services to a particular Church in Detroit when I saw how they conned their members. I wasn't comfortable being a part of that.

I would understand why an atheist web developer might not want to create a website promoting Christianity - and they shouldn't be forced to.

I would understand why a pro-choice print shop owner wouldn't want to make bumper stickers that say "guns don't kill people, abortion clinics do"
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Shotgun

It may have played out something like this:

Alyssa: Eh Bob, we gotta get some reaction to this RFRA for the newscast tonight - this could be the big one!

(after hours of no success)

Bob: How about that old pizza joint in Walkerton with all those christian nick-knacks...

Alyssa: Goooood one Bob - this is soooo exciting! - hehe

(at the pizza joint)

Alyssa: Hi, Alyssa from channel 57...we were hoping you'd like to comment on the FRFA that was signed into law?

Crystal (pizza owner):
What's that?

Alyssa:The Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Crystal: Oh, Oh....ya, sure...

Alyssa: Ok...Bob you rolling?

Bob: You know it...

Alyssa: So is there anyone you would refuse service to, like say...gay people?

Crystal: Um...no, we serve gay people here.

Alyssa: Damn...stop rolling Bob...

Ok, Crystal...you're christian right?

Crystal: Ya...

Alyssa: Ok, and the bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin. Sooooo, is there perhaps any type of..... say, homosexual function that you might not cater to?

Crystal: Oh...oh...ya...

Alyssa: Hold on a second crystal......Hey Bob, you rolling - she's gonna fucking say it....

Ok Crystal...go on...

Crystal: Ok, if like gay people wanted pizzas for for a wedding, we'd have to say no...

Alyssa: Ok, great! Thanks....have a nice day!

Hey bob, get some shots of that fuddy-duddy at the table explaining his view on homosexuality...

>So as long as I say im not interested in doing your cake I am too tired for such a
>type of cake today, or I am too busy, or I dont have the proper ingredients were
>good then?

If you're asking "can I lie and get away with discrimination?" Probably yes - and people do it all the time.

wmw999

It's not that hard to say "I'm sorry but I'm booked up for that weekend" or "I'm taking vacation for that weekend."

Agreed - and that scenario has played out innumerable times over the past few centuries.

Black guy: "Hey I saw an ad for a job in the window and . . . "
Owner: "Sorry we don't need the help any more."
White guy: "Hey I saw the sign in your window."
Owner: "Can you bartend too? You're hired!"

However not everyone is dishonest - and not everyone is smart.

billvon

***It's not that hard to say "I'm sorry but I'm booked up for that weekend" or "I'm taking vacation for that weekend."

Agreed - and that scenario has played out innumerable times over the past few centuries.

You'd think by now we could just be honest and say, look - I don't mind providing a service to you, but I wouldn't be comfortable if it involves participating or promoting an event/idea that conflicts with my belief system...

It'd be nice to do that without the threat of being sued, or people going ape-shit over a hypothetical situation.

>You'd think by now we could just be honest and say, look - I don't mind providing a
>service to you, but I wouldn't be comfortable if it involves participating or promoting an
>event/idea that conflicts with my belief system...

Even if the event they are uncomfortable with involves "blacks in a white area of town?"

wmw999

That sounds absolutely perfect to me.

Wendy P.

Now we need to force Muslim t-shirt makers to print Allah cartoon t-shirts
And Minneapolis needs to force Muslin taxi drivers to allow dogs in their cabs
Kosher Deli owners are to be forces to serve no kosher meals

All we have with all of this is just other forms a bigotry where these activists use the government to force their views on others

So much for freedoms

Hope you all are happy

BTW
Did you know that we have had RFRA laws on the books for 19 years?
Obama voted for one as an IL state senator
Bill Clinton signed a federal one

Every heard of it being used to discriminate?
No

Hope you are all happy
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>Indiana is changing the law to make it clear that businesses may not refuse
>service on the basis of sexual orientation, race, religion, etc.

Good for them! Sounds like a win/win.

No Bill
We ALL are loosing here (even the biggot activists)
Too many are refusing to see that[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

Even if the event they are uncomfortable with involves "blacks in a white area of town?"

actually, if it prompted a kind and open discussion about the issue and people left with a better understanding of each other? yes (because that just might be the fastest road to fixing that kind of bias and bigotry)

but what really happens is they shut down start hating at each other, and then little, petty, damages start - or even really violent blowback - it's the physical version of crap thread progressions that happen here and just about anywhere else on anonymous discussion boards - with little empathy or understanding of each other, just opportunities to slam and belittle each other while ignoring their comments, strawmen and stereotypes

IMHO - you just can't fix those with entrenched bigotry, you can just outlast them. It's happening. So you can only work on those that are borderline. Today's techniques of bullying them, belittling them, etc is counterproductive. Today's methods are causing the problem to live longer than it would have. In fact, today's methods are just the modern version of fanatical bigotry.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No, we don't need to do that because again (and again, and again, and again:S) it's about denying service to types of people, not about denying types of service.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

No, we don't need to do that because again (and again, and again, and again:S) it's about denying service to types of people, not about denying types of service.
no, actually it is about forcing your ideology on others and vice a versa. I don't mean you personally
Abraham Lincoln

I disagree with you. The whole issue is about denying types of service. Christians do not want to be forced into participation of ceremonies that are repulsive to their beliefs.

Glenn Beck stated it this way on Blaze TV, homosexuals may buy cupcakes from me and I love their business. When they ask me to make a wedding cake for their wedding I say no because I am not willing to participate in their ceremony.

What I do not understand, in our free market economy why there are not bakeries and pizza joints that seek the homosexual market.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

forcing your ideology on others and vice a versa

Do you see a difference between choosing what services you provide, and choosing whom you provide them to?

If you see "gay wedding" as something entirely different from "wedding," do you also see "muslim wedding" as something entirely different from "christian wedding," or "pagan wedding" or anything else like that?

That's the crux in many people's view. If they cater weddings, should they be able to pick and choose which ones? Would there be a difference between a wedding between illegal immigrants and one between native-born Americans?

A company can certainly choose not to provide certain services. There's a local Jewish deli and bakery that does NOT serve any sort of meat (especially ham or bacon) on their baked goods, because that violates what they consider to be their religious practice. There's a major high-end video equipment company in New York that's closed on Fridays and Saturdays because it's the Jewish sabbath. They're open Sundays. Hobby Lobby is always closed on Sundays.

They don't open only for some customers -- they identify the services they're willing to provide, and provide them to whoever walks up.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I know that when a caterer handled my first wedding, they did not come to the ceremony or participate in any way. They delivered food to my parents' house.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

I disagree with you. The whole issue is about denying types of service. Christians do not want to be forced into participation of ceremonies that are repulsive to their beliefs.

Glenn Beck stated it this way on Blaze TV, homosexuals may buy cupcakes from me and I love their business. When they ask me to make a wedding cake for their wedding I say no because I am not willing to participate in their ceremony.

What I do not understand, in our free market economy why there are not bakeries and pizza joints that seek the homosexual market.

And yet CryBecky et al would wish their narrow set of beliefs on everyone. Only the truest of believers get to participate in their world.[:/]

as a business or service provider, you have the choice to whom you serve and why. Whether or not I agree with them, or you agree with them, or they agree with me, it's still my choice and should remain my choice and no damn government should push someone else's b******* on everyone else
Abraham Lincoln