Driver1

Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted everyone to remember him

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germanwings-co-pilot-andreas-lubitz-%E2%80%98wanted-to-make-everyone-remember-him%E2%80%99/ar-AAa4F6M

Wow... He's likely going to be remembered for a long time... as being no better than Hitler. >:(

Oh, and a warning to our fellow German posters on here who gleefully post news about gun violence here in the United States and deride us for it, every new post you make on gun violence., we'll throw Lubitz back in your faces. :|

And I'll just leave this meme here.

Maybe, just maybe, you guys will stop being so smug, but I won't get my hopes up.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

GoneCodFishing

Are you really holding all german citizens responsible for the actions of this guy?

Here, have a laugh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QrRurrsi74

No, I said nothing of the sort. Read my post again.

Driver1

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germanwings-co-pilot-andreas-lubitz-%E2%80%98wanted-to-make-everyone-remember-him%E2%80%99/ar-AAa4F6M

Wow... He's likely going to be remembered for a long time... as being no better than Hitler. >:(

Oh, and a warning to our fellow German posters on here who gleefully post news about gun violence here in the United States and deride us for it, every new post you make on gun violence., we'll throw Lubitz back in your faces. :|

Maybe, just maybe, you guys will stop being so smug, but I won't get my hopes up.

Well, just to be clear, it takes roughly 7 days in the USA for the death toll from gunfire to equal the death toll from German pilots in the last 40 years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germanwings-co-pilot-andreas-lubitz-%E2%80%98wanted-to-make-everyone-remember-him%E2%80%99/ar-AAa4F6M

Well, just to be clear, it takes roughly 7 days in the USA for the death toll from gunfire to equal the death toll from German pilots in the last 40 years.

I hear ya. No argument there. Just find something else to bitch about. That horse has been beat to death multiple times on here already.

How's that gun control law working out in Chicago these days? :P

kallend

There isn't one.

I could have sworn Chicago had one of the toughest gun control laws in the country and it wasn't really working, it seems like.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gun control law in Chicago

Not bad.
Managed to mention Hitler in the first sentence of the first post. And make a connection between two events roughly 70 years apart.

Maybe you could further elaborate on the parallels and similarities between Hitler and Andreas Lubitz.
Of course, I expect you to do better than the obvious, such as both were Germans. Or, "both are dead."

Let's hear it!

Driver1

Driver1

There isn't one.

I could have sworn Chicago had one of the toughest gun control laws in the country and it wasn't really working, it seems like.

Out of date info.

Guns legal since 2011, CCW started in early 2014.

mpohl

Not bad.
Managed to mention Hitler in the first sentence of the first post. And make a connection between two events roughly 70 years apart.

Maybe you could further elaborate on the parallels and similarities between Hitler and Andreas Lubitz.
Of course, I expect you to do better than the obvious, such as both were Germans. Or, "both are dead."

Let's hear it!

***http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/germanwings-co-pilot-andreas-lubitz-%E2%80%98wanted-to-make-everyone-remember-him%E2%80%99/ar-AAa4F6M

I knew it would draw you out. ;)

People, you seem to be misunderstanding my line about Lubitz being no better than Hitler. He can't be any worse. And I could have been more specific. He's no better than Hitler in having zero compassion for the innocent lives he wasted through his own selfishness.

How about that?

Every time you bitch about gun violence in America, I'll scream "LUBITZ!!", as there is zero point in discussing anything with you, or your ilk.

:P

kallend

There isn't one.

Out of date info.

Has the crime rate dropped since? Some links in my post seem to suggest so.

Driver1

I could have sworn Chicago had one of the toughest gun control laws in the country...

In an attempt to salvage this thread (which is "no better" a disaster than the incident it is very loosely about)...

The above is language that gets used in a number of contexts and I think people on either side of arguments tend to overlook it. Consider what the adjective "tough" really has come to mean when people say a location has "the toughest gun control laws" or that a candidate is "tough on crime."

It's not "built Ford tough" reliability that's being discussed it's "tough shit" pigheadedness and striving to mongo-smash a problem with an ever bigger hammer.

Driver1

There isn't one.

Out of date info.

Has the crime rate dropped since? Some links in my post seem to suggest so.

It's been dropping for quite a few years now.

For example from 2000 to 2011 the crime rate index was as follows:

And that's a 32% drop over 11 years without any changes in gun laws.

Oh, and a warning to our fellow German posters on here who gleefully post news about gun violence here in the United States and deride us for it, every new post you make on gun violence., we'll throw Lubitz back in your faces.

Really? 'Cos that's really stupid, and shows a fundamental lack of logical thinking.

And we'll add a fundamental lack of class to that as well.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Driver1

Not bad.

Let's hear it!

I knew it would draw you out. ;)

People, you seem to be misunderstanding my line about Lubitz being no better than Hitler. He can't be any worse. And I could have been more specific. He's no better than Hitler in having zero compassion for the innocent lives he wasted through his own selfishness.

How about that?

Every time you bitch about gun violence in America,I'll scream "LUBITZ!!", as there is zero point in discussing anything with you, or your ilk.

:P

This post speaks volumes about you (or your education?) ...

How, do you think, will your screaming change anything about the gun violence in your country? It's a well known fact, and no foreign tragedy will change your internal problems.

BTW: Hitler is no German. But you, old fellow, you are an i....[:/] overestimating yourself.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

One other thing to think about.

I am feeling tremendously sorry for the Lubitz family, also.
Imagine what they are going thru.

They lost their son...Not only that. But also seeing him now portrayed as a mass-murderer world-wide.

As a parent, brother, sister, relative. I'd pass on that experience. They just deserve as much support as the victims families; because they are victims, too!

lawrocket

Any stats on the rates of murders, robbery, burglary, etc since the gun ban was lifted? Or since CCW?

Homicides basically flat, no crime index data yet. Insufficient data for statistics to be meaningful anyway.

Biggest reduction was right after the introduction of the gun ban in 1982 (1981 homicides 877, 2013 homicides 441).

christelsabine

This post speaks volumes about you

Yes, there seems to be a lot of anger in that fellow, better not let him fly a passenger airplane.
christelsabine

BTW: Hitler is no German. But you, old fellow, you are an i....[:/] overestimating yourself.

No reason for name-calling. In fact, the best reaction to that would be no reaction (especially if he really does pull the Lubitz-card some time in the future). If you're above that, be above that. If you have to state that you're above that, you're not really above it. There is a quote that's commonly attributed to Napoleon: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." The same principle applies here. If your opponent is about to disqualify himself from any sensible discussion by an obvious low shot, don't get involved. Those who get it will get it all by themselves, those who don't, won't anyway.
Plus you can't get in trouble by assuming positions that are very hard to defend such as
christelsabine

Hitler is no German.

Hitler held the German citizenship since he could not legally be president of the Reich otherwise, which he was. In fact, there was an appeal in 2007 to revoke his German citizenship, which did not happen because of formal legal reasons (apparently a dead person can't hold any rights and therefore they cannot be taken from him). If you are going to argue that he was somehow not "truly" German, since he wasn't BORN German, well, that's where the "hard to defend"-part comes in.

I also agree with mpohl about Lubitz' family. I strongly believe that is why the media should've kept their mouths shut and not publish his full name. I can't see it doing any good, since the guy is dead and I can definitely see it doing a lot of bad to all his family and everybody bearing that name by chance. Memes like the one presented by Driver1 surely don't help either.

[P.S.: If anyone is offended or feels lectured, I apologize. I was serving as an army instructor for a decade and now I am studying to become a school teacher. It becomes sort of second nature over time, though I'm really trying to avoid it among adults/civilians.]

Well, at least you got me to ever-so-slightly update my profile.

And while I am a dual citizen of the US and Germany, I like seeing the "black-red-gold" next to my name.

P.S.: And unlike you, I just didn't drop out of a womb w/ a US passport. I worked hard for it, and my adopted country. The United States.

MODS.

On a different note.

Why is there no choice flag-wise/ country-wise for European Union in the profile section???

That's what I would really like to display! I am an EU citizen, of German descent.

First line of my passport, outside cover, reads: "European Union." The second line is "Federal Republic of Germany."

mpohl

One other thing to think about.

I am feeling tremendously sorry for the Lubitz family, also.
Imagine what they are going thru.

They lost their son...Not only that. But also seeing him now portrayed as a mass-murderer world-wide.

As a parent, brother, sister, relative. I'd pass on that experience. They just deserve as much support as the victims families; because they are victims, too!

I am in full agreement with you.

It can be done.

My wife is hotter than your wife.