propacker

mandatory church attendance

so...... REPUBLICAN :S Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (evidently the real Church Lady) wants to make church attendance mandatory in AZ. Isn't that special. wonder if she would require that people attend the church that she goes to or if there would be an approved list of churches that would be acceptable. I suppose that along with required attendance there should also be a required "tithing" of at least 15% of your yearly salary.
[:/]

kallend

So, in other words...

She, herself, realizes that's not an actual proposal, but just a joke.

Don't get me wrong, she obviously doesn't understand the subtle nature and repercussions of being a government official and making a joke, but let's not get carried away. She didn't propose a law to the effect.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

propacker

so...... REPUBLICAN :S Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (evidently the real Church Lady) wants to make church attendance mandatory in AZ. Isn't that special. wonder if she would require that people attend the church that she goes to or if there would be an approved list of churches that would be acceptable. I suppose that along with required attendance there should also be a required "tithing" of at least 15% of your yearly salary.
[:/]

My parents demanded that if they fed and housed me, I go to church every week. That was a long 32 years.

Lived under your parent's care for 14 years after becoming an adult, that explains a lot about your politics. Not judging just observing.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I moved out of my mom's house roughly the day I turned 18.

What does that tell you about my politics?

Ron, with all due respect, you don't know a god damned thing about anyone's politics by the day they left home.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

While I'm sure that some people live at home that long, I got the impression that jclalor was making a joke.

And, while AZ may be looking at mandatory church attendance, we've got the "Sodomite Suppression Act" going for us here in CA:
http://news.yahoo.com/california-acts-against-poll-measure-execute-gays-231339865.html;_ylt=AwrSyCM2zRVVNn8AiYDQtDMD

:)
On facebook, I often mistake the real news in my feed for The Onion, and vice versa.

Shotgun

While I'm sure that some people live at home that long, I got the impression that jcalor was making a joke.

And, while AZ may be looking at mandatory church attendance, we've got the "Sodomite Suppression Act" going for us here in CA:
http://news.yahoo.com/california-acts-against-poll-measure-execute-gays-231339865.html;_ylt=AwrSyCM2zRVVNn8AiYDQtDMD

:)
On facebook, I often mistake the real news in my feed for The Onion, and vice versa.

It makes me sad that I will not live long enough to see the end of religion.

If people really need some asswipe's writing project to tell them how to live their life because they're too weak or stupid to figure it out on their own, let me do a nice, brief set of rules to live by and improve the world:

"Grue's Bible:

1. Don't be a cunt.
2. If someone's action doesn't affect the life, liberty or property of a non-consenting individual, attempting to interfere with that person's action makes you a cunt.
3. See 1."
cavete terrae.

quade

Don't get me wrong, she obviously doesn't understand the subtle nature and repercussions of being a government official and making a joke, but let's not get carried away. She didn't propose a law to the effect.

No, it's not a real proposal but only because she understands that it "would never be allowed".

I think her comments in this video indicate that the 'proposal' really is in line with what she actually thinks.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Don't get me wrong, she obviously doesn't understand the subtle nature and repercussions of being a government official and making a joke, but let's not get carried away. She didn't propose a law to the effect.

No, it's not a real proposal but only because she understands that it "would never be allowed".

I think her comments in this video indicate that the 'proposal' really is in line with what she actually thinks.

That kind of reporting drives me nuts. I'd rather hear what the woman is actually saying rather than hearing snippets of what she says mixed in with the reporter's paraphrasing, which gives the impression that they are twisting it for effect.

From what little I could find of her actual transcript, it sounds like it was a comment that has been taken out of context. It seems that the context was something to do with "guns don't kill people; people kill people." And she was talking about how there is a corruption of the soul that is leading to a lot of the violence in our country. And (perhaps with different wording), I think most of us would agree that there is a deep issue with violence in our country and that it goes way beyond the simple fact that a lot of people have guns.

I don't believe that she actually wants to make church mandatory. I do believe that she thinks religion may be the answer, and I would disagree with her there (though I don't have an answer of my own), but I do think it was just a comment to emphasize her point about guns/violence and that it's been taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

That kind of reporting drives me nuts. I'd rather hear what the woman is actually saying rather than hearing snippets of what she says mixed in with the reporter's paraphrasing, which gives the impression that they are twisting it for effect.

The first bit, definitely. Zero context and of course it's being used to illustrate an argument rather than seriously propose that it happens. However they do let her 'explanation' the next day ramble on in more detail - it does seem pretty clear that she equates being moral with going to church, and at no point does she say "I don't really think mandatory church attendance would be a good thing".

I don't believe that she actually wants to make church mandatory.

I get the impression that she kinda does, she just knows she can't.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Echoing what Lawrocket stated about Obama proposing mandatory voting...See a pattern and possibility here. The lady-legislator from Arizona has exercised some rather poor judgement to say the least. Most humbly, I would encourage you to look at the horseshit, bullshit and all the other shit (THERE I SPELLED IT QUADE I DIDN'T USE ANY SUBSTITUTED CHARACTERS) the Left has been attempting to foist upon us just to protect us from ourselves or advance that far flung Utopian ideal that has a snowball's chance in hell of ever succeeding.

And now we will return to our local broadcast!

grue

"Grue's Bible:

1. Don't be a cunt.

grue

If people really need some asswipe's writing project to tell them how to live their life because they're too weak or stupid to figure it out on their own....

Ya, how's that new religion working for you?:D
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***"Grue's Bible:

1. Don't be a cunt.

grue

If people really need some asswipe's writing project to tell them how to live their life because they're too weak or stupid to figure it out on their own....

Ya, how's that new religion working for you?:D

I'm not trying to take away anyone's right to have a dumbass belief system, but I'm done with pretending I don't think it's stupid and that it's worth of respecting.

Religion is worse than cancer, because at least people with cancer know it's fucking bad for them.
cavete terrae.

In many respects I agree with you.

In reading my morning devotion I found this statement by Oswald Chambers and thought I would pass it on.

" If we are going to be ready for Jesus Christ, we have to stop being religious. In other words, we must stop using religion as if it were some kind of a lofty lifestyle— we must be spiritually real."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.