regulator

Islam...the religion of peace?

Rstanley0312

***The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

Non religious people who rail against religion have also shown historically that they are quite the opposite of peaceful so I do not think your statement is accurate but slanted to your own beliefs, the belief of nothing. Don't you just hate when religious people make statements like that? Pot meet kettle. ;)

I'm not advocating ANY action against religious people. Since I don't think there's anything after death, I think the value of human life is pretty serious business.

That said, hopefully over time with education they'll just stop making more religious people and it'll die off.

Those who try and push religion on others are awful, awful human beings. I won't try and convince religious people to change, but I'm not going to pretend I have any respect for their belief system either.

The fact of the matter is that historically, a tremendous amount of people have been killed in the name of religion (for or against), and it's still going on today. An atheist killing someone because the person is religious is every bit as terrible and inexcusable as someone killing another person because their gods are different.

Not to mention, in the end we're all atheists to some extent. Christians and Jews and Muslims pay no heed to the idea of Loki and Mercury and Zeus. I just believe in one fewer supernatural psychopath than they do.

That said, if everyone gave up on religion, it'd be one fewer thing that people have to fight over. Wouldn't that be nice?
cavete terrae.

normiss

"People are flawed or "broken"."
Severely flawed and gross generalization.
It's inaccurate and dishonest as well.

Why does religion have to put others down?
The message comes across as one of hatred for others IMO.

Everyone should be allowed to their own beliefs and opinions.
You're good with yours, I'm good with mine.
Peace.

I disagree and I do not think it is a religious statement at all. People generally have their own best interest at heart and many (not all) are willing to harm others to get what they want. I call that broken. You have the right to disagree of course.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

grue

******The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

Non religious people who rail against religion have also shown historically that they are quite the opposite of peaceful so I do not think your statement is accurate but slanted to your own beliefs, the belief of nothing. Don't you just hate when religious people make statements like that? Pot meet kettle. ;)

I'm not advocating ANY action against religious people. Since I don't think there's anything after death, I think the value of human life is pretty serious business.

That said, hopefully over time with education they'll just stop making more religious people and it'll die off.

Those who try and push religion on others are awful, awful human beings. I won't try and convince religious people to change, but I'm not going to pretend I have any respect for their belief system either.

The fact of the matter is that historically, a tremendous amount of people have been killed in the name of religion (for or against), and it's still going on today. An atheist killing someone because the person is religious is every bit as terrible and inexcusable as someone killing another person because their gods are different.

Not to mention, in the end we're all atheists to some extent. Christians and Jews and Muslims pay no heed to the idea of Loki and Mercury and Zeus. I just believe in one fewer supernatural psychopath than they do.

That said, if everyone gave up on religion, it'd be one fewer thing that people have to fight over. Wouldn't that be nice?

I am with you Grue but I think it is a flawed argument to say we need to start eliminating the things we disagree on as people. That's not feasible. I am not a fan of anyone who "pushes" religion or the belief in nothing on anyone either. I really try to not do that. I prefer to let my actions speak but I am human and that does not always work out that well. [:/]
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

jakee

Anyway, several serial killers have been on record answering the question of "Why did you do it?" with an answer of "read Catcher in the Rye".

Who?

That is the point you decided to grab on to? Why? Anyway... it is pretty well known but Wiki link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye_in_popular_culture

Edited to add quote:

"While the novel is linked to several murders and murder attempts, it has been claimed that the novel's overall effect on society is "far more positive than negative."

Rstanley0312

Anyway, several serial killers have been on record answering the question of "Why did you do it?" with an answer of "read Catcher in the Rye".

Who?

Anyway... it is pretty well known but Wiki link below.

There are no references to any serial killers in that link.

There is a reference to one (seriously disturbed) killer of one person who claimed it influenced him.

That is the point you decided to grab on to? Why?

I'm interested in why people believe these urban legends.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

Who?

Anyway... it is pretty well known but Wiki link below.

There are no references to any serial killers in that link.

There is a reference to one (seriously disturbed) killer of one person who claimed it influenced him.

That is the point you decided to grab on to? Why?

I'm interested in why people believe these urban legends.

Okay... it has been linked to serial killers and if you prefer I change what I wrote to "killers" and drop the serial the point still remains unchanged. Charles Manson believed the lyrics to the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" were a prophecy that ignited a killing spree. Does that make the song evil? Again, the point remains the same.

normiss

"People are flawed or "broken"."
Severely flawed and gross generalization.
It's inaccurate and dishonest as well.

Why does religion have to put others down?
The message comes across as one of hatred for others IMO.

Everyone should be allowed to their own beliefs and opinions.
You're good with yours, I'm good with mine.
Peace.

Dude don't make me go there! You RAIL on ANYONE AND EVERYONE who has religious beliefs. If that isn't being a hypocrite I don't know what is.

Go ahead and deny it.

Andy9o8

Okay... it has been linked to serial killers

Who?

Mark Chapman, who killed John Lennon, who ate lots of cereal.

I always thought Tony the Tiger was up to something.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Driver1

They're now saying up to 147 dead. The fucking Al-Shabab assholes were going through the college asking people of they were Christian or Muslim. If they answered Christian, they were shot.

:S
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Rstanley0312

***The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

I am with you Grue but I think it is a flawed argument to say we need to start eliminating the things we disagree on as people. That's not feasible. I am not a fan of anyone who "pushes" religion or the belief in nothing on anyone either. I really try to not do that. I prefer to let my actions speak but I am human and that does not always work out that well. [:/]

Maybe it's better said as eliminating the reasons we disagree to actual disagreements vs. disagreements because an unprovable deity or deities and/or some ancient text tells them to.

Sure people will always find a reason to argue and disagree but the more intelligent and relevant those reasons are... :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

******The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

Maybe it's better said as eliminating the reasons we disagree to actual disagreements vs. disagreements because an unprovable deity or deities and/or some ancient text tells them to.

Sure people will always find a reason to argue and disagree but the more intelligent and relevant those reasons are... :)
That works.
cavete terrae.

grue

*********The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

That works.

I try to do that. Obviously my faith is a big part of who I am but the reason I try my best to treat others well is not just because of teachings from Christ but they do have a HUGE part in it. I generally do not bring God in to the conversation unless I am asked about God or God as He pertains to a situation. Other than that I am trying to use actions not words. Again, I am not perfect so I drop the ball but the effort is there just as I would want it to be there from someone who is not a Christ follower.

Rstanley0312

************The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

That works.

I try to do that. Obviously my faith is a big part of who I am but the reason I try my best to treat others well is not just because of teachings from Christ but they do have a HUGE part in it. I generally do not bring God in to the conversation unless I am asked about God or God as He pertains to a situation. Other than that I am trying to use actions not words. Again, I am not perfect so I drop the ball but the effort is there just as I would want it to be there from someone who is not a Christ follower.

It really doesn't matter what religion you follow or don't follow. If everybody adhered to The Golden Rule, i.e. "do unto others as you would have them do unto ye", there would be no violence. Pretty simple.

Driver1

***************The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

That works.

It really doesn't matter what religion you follow or don't follow. If everybody adhered to The Golden Rule, i.e. "do unto others as you would have them do unto ye", there would be no violence. Pretty simple.

Mostly true. There are some sick people out there that welcome sick and horrible things done to them.

Rstanley0312

******************The only religion of peace is no religion at all.

That works.

Mostly true. There are some sick people out there that welcome sick and horrible things done to them.

I'll give you that one. You're right.

ryoder

Give some of the crowd credit, they wanted to make sure they were at least killing the right person.

"We were asking the people to stop beating her and let us ask what religion she belongs to," one witness told TOLOnews. "But the people didn't listen to us and kept beating her."