regulator

Islam...the religion of peace?

Suslique

she, please :) I'm an "opressed muslim woman" :)

Hi Suslique,

Thanks for your refreshing and (for this forum), unique and rare perspective. I've been posting in SC for a while and I don't recall reading a post from Muslim woman.

I see you quote "oppressed" in jest above -- but, living in a free society and seeing Muslim women wearing clothing from top to bottom on warm and sunny spring days while most other people (including the men accompanying women in said clothing) are wearing whatever they feel is most suitable to the weather -- can you kindly share your personal take on this dress code that your religion requires?

Genuinely curious to hear your views on this.

Thanks,

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

masterblaster72

Hi Suslique,

Thanks for your refreshing and (for this forum), unique and rare perspective. I've been posting in SC for a while and I don't recall reading a post from Muslim woman.

I see you quote "oppressed" in jest above -- but, living in a free society and seeing Muslim women wearing clothing from top to bottom on warm and sunny spring days while most other people (including the men accompanying women in said clothing) are wearing whatever they feel is most suitable to the weather -- can you kindly share your personal take on this dress code that your religion requires?

Thanks,

Hi there, thanks for kind feedback

Well all of abrahamic religions stress the importance of modesty for both men and women and have almost similar approach regarding the dress code.

The purpose is simply said -- modesty. As someone who decided to wear hijab I her 20's I want to assure you that when its hot its hot both in sundress or hijab. Hijab is even more comfortable at times since skin is not exposed under the sun and in summer we wear breathable light fabrics anyways. personal benefits as I see them go beyond the modesty.

There are two moments that I feel are very important:

1. No more sexual objectification;
2. Women don't feel societies pressure to fit into certain fashion/beauty trends which makes women more confident.

Hijab is not only clothing but also attitude and speech. There's a hijab for men as well BTW:) generally speaking (for men) clothes should not be skin tight, especially between navel and knees. Eyeballing females (and vise versa) is forbidden etc I.e. they should be modest as well.

My own experience with hijab was the feeling of freedom and liberation. I've never liked the unwanted attention of men and getting rid of that was priceless.

Im still living an active lifestyle, so hijab was never a problem for me in this case.

Some people think that we wear hijab 24/7 its not true:) its only compulsory in front of non-blood related men. We don't wear hijab in front of husband, women or close unmarriageable men relatives.

I want to stress the fact that there is no compulsion in religion! If someone somewhere is forcing their daughters/wives to wear hijab it has nothing to do with Islam, its cultural crap. Today especially in western world women are actually fighting for their freedom to choose hijab and wear it! Some have to deal with their families and some with their governments. Which is ridiculous, government should keep itself away from lives of their citizens. Today they will forbid Muslim women wear their hijab, tomorrow they will intrude in private lives of non-muslims.

Anyways, if you have any extra questions, feel free to ask me:)

Cheers
'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Anvilbrother

....close unmarriageable men relatives ...
...unmarriageable men relatives...
..unmarriageable relatives..

:|

Yes we can marry cousins so they are considered close relatives aren't they? English is my third language so don't be too harsh on the words that I use please

bigbearfng

So then by the rules of hijab-
you can't skydive??????

Why is that? I wear my hijab in the sky as well:) u know that there is UAE female formations team, don't u?:) they do wear hijab in the sky as well!:)

winsor

***So then by the rules of hijab-
you can't skydive??????

Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
Henry David Thoreau

A way of life that has a dress code? You can have it.

Thank you, I'm enjoying it very much:)

Suslique

Hi Suslique,

Thanks,

Hi there, thanks for kind feedback

Well all of abrahamic religions stress the importance of modesty for both men and women and have almost similar approach regarding the dress code.

The purpose is simply said -- modesty. As someone who decided to wear hijab I her 20's I want to assure you that when its hot its hot both in sundress or hijab. Hijab is even more comfortable at times since skin is not exposed under the sun and in summer we wear breathable light fabrics anyways. personal benefits as I see them go beyond the modesty.

There are two moments that I feel are very important:

1. No more sexual objectification;
2. Women don't feel societies pressure to fit into certain fashion/beauty trends which makes women more confident.

Hijab is not only clothing but also attitude and speech. There's a hijab for men as well BTW:) generally speaking (for men) clothes should not be skin tight, especially between navel and knees. Eyeballing females (and vise versa) is forbidden etc I.e. they should be modest as well.

My own experience with hijab was the feeling of freedom and liberation. I've never liked the unwanted attention of men and getting rid of that was priceless.

Im still living an active lifestyle, so hijab was never a problem for me in this case.

Some people think that we wear hijab 24/7 its not true:) its only compulsory in front of non-blood related men. We don't wear hijab in front of husband, women or close unmarriageable men relatives.

I want to stress the fact that there is no compulsion in religion! If someone somewhere is forcing their daughters/wives to wear hijab it has nothing to do with Islam, its cultural crap. Today especially in western world women are actually fighting for their freedom to choose hijab and wear it! Some have to deal with their families and some with their governments. Which is ridiculous, government should keep itself away from lives of their citizens. Today they will forbid Muslim women wear their hijab, tomorrow they will intrude in private lives of non-muslims.

Anyways, if you have any extra questions, feel free to ask me:)

Cheers

I had to go searching for pics of skydiving with hijab-
However as you describe it for modesty-then what about all these women who are wearing a headscarve with tight jeans etc?
So is hijab just a headscarve? Or the full gown etc?
Just seems like if you went to certain countries wearing a headscarve and jeans you would be confronted by the religious police?
Sorry-I'm trying to make sense of this but it's just not adding up for me........

muff528

***I'm sorry, but I'm just having a hard time picturing that!

Photos I've seen show it worn under the jumpsuit. Looks safe enough.

the only difference between hijab and no hijab skydiving is yes, hijab + jumpsuit. you can see it here: http://ww1.skyleague.com/images/uploads/teams/photo_2013_AE_DubaiLadies08.jpg

its not a big/lots of fabric kind of scarf, its a snug one, perfect for under the helmet or for active sports.

hijab is anything which is not skin tight, relaxed, anything that hides the body contour. no, skinny jeans are not hijab, wide-legged or relaxed fit yes, works fine, long tunic on top to fix somewhat tight pants might work as well.

some girls are new to hijab, so they transition slowly, we can't judge people based on the level of their hijab you know? and its wrong to make assumptions about Islam based on people as well:)

also, clothes that work fine in western countries stand out and are considered not appropriate for countries like Saudi Arabia, so there should be adjustments for that as well. long story short it should be modest.

Suslique

******I'm sorry, but I'm just having a hard time picturing that!

the only difference between hijab and no hijab skydiving is yes, hijab + jumpsuit. you can see it here: http://ww1.skyleague.com/images/uploads/teams/photo_2013_AE_DubaiLadies08.jpg

its not a big/lots of fabric kind of scarf, its a snug one, perfect for under the helmet or for active sports.

hijab is anything which is not skin tight, relaxed, anything that hides the body contour. no, skinny jeans are not hijab, wide-legged or relaxed fit yes, works fine, long tunic on top to fix somewhat tight pants might work as well.

some girls are new to hijab, so they transition slowly, we can't judge people based on the level of their hijab you know? and its wrong to make assumptions about Islam based on people as well:)

also, clothes that work fine in western countries stand out and are considered not appropriate for countries like Saudi Arabia, so there should be adjustments for that as well. long story short it should be modest.

I guess it really depends on what the definition of is, is.

That all looks pretty form fitting to me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

*********I'm sorry, but I'm just having a hard time picturing that!

What looks form fitting to you, mufti turtlespeed?:)

Suslique

************I'm sorry, but I'm just having a hard time picturing that!

What looks form fitting to you, mufti turtlespeed?:)

I was being sarcastic.

But . . . Burkas are nice, and I hear black is back in fashion.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

To this day its a mystery to me what you westerners mean by 'burka'? Hijab? Niqab? Bushiyya? Afghan burqa? Batula? Khimaar? :)

And black is a classic! Ask Karl Lagerfeld :)

Black is not a requirement for a hijab though.

Suslique

To this day its a mystery to me what you westerners mean by 'burka'? Hijab? Niqab? Bushiyya? Afghan burqa? Batula? Khimaar? :)

This is nice.

Very conservative

Not so much conservative. But evidently controversial

Jilboob? First I have heard about it.

turtlespeed

***To this day its a mystery to me what you westerners mean by 'burka'? Hijab? Niqab? Bushiyya? Afghan burqa? Batula? Khimaar? :)

This is nice.

Very conservative

Ninja women are scary.

winsor

******To this day its a mystery to me what you westerners mean by 'burka'? Hijab? Niqab? Bushiyya? Afghan burqa? Batula? Khimaar? :)

This is nice.

Very conservative

Ninja women are scary.

So is Ninjesus.

Suslique

So weird to see grown men making fun of women's clothes

I'm not making fun. I'm curious where the norm is and where hypocrisy starts and ends.

turtlespeed

***So weird to see grown men making fun of women's clothes

I'm not making fun. I'm curious where the norm is and where hypocrisy starts and ends.

You are mocking those women. Those who were genuinely curious were asking questions like adults do in a respectful manner. Sorry but this is just a farce. Not even funny one.