airdvr

My week spent living in the future...

JerryBaumchen

Hi airdvr,

$33 for 2 burgers, 2 orders of fries and 2 drinks is over privileged douchebaggery.

You could have gotten up and walked away, I've done that in the past.

That's not always a possibility. As I said earlier, it's not always about what people are willing to pay, but rather what they have to pay...

I've been living in a small town in northern Michigan for the past few years. The median income is around $23k a year. $19k per capita...but prices are ridiculous up here.

Hamburger is nearly double the national average and I remember seeing 4 ears of corn for $3. "Cheap" Kraft cheese has been seen as high as $8-$10 per pound...

The businesses up here know people aren't going to make a 2 hour round trip to "save" money, so they can get away with it.

Nearly 25% of the people up here are senior citizens - most of which I would assume are on social security, and another 8-10% of the population are below poverty - most of which are probably receiving housing and grocery subsidies...

We are essentially subsidizing the cost of excessive greediness by business owners.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Stumpy

******You aren't making any sense. At all.

I know. I'm having trouble expressing myself.

If you don't like their lifestyle - thats fine, don't go there. But they are entirely free to spend their money in whatever restaurant they choose - doesn't make them over-privileged, or douchebags. It just makes them successful and well-off. (Not even that well off - not THAT many of the employees of those big tech firms actually qualify for 1% status.) They are all probably paying quite a lot of tax on their money as well - CA has pretty high tax rates doesn't it?

If I were you I'd maybe be having a go at people living comfortably on welfare, I don't know - in the hills of Georgia for example.

I guess that's the idea. This was a trip to see Rox's new grandson (highlight of the trip for me) so this is not an area I would normally spend any amount of time at.

I'd forgotten that we got to In-n-Out Thursday afternoon (beer). Now that's a burger joint. Same meal for $12.

Now...get the fuck off my grass! ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

PhreeZone

...I'm waiting for the part of the conversations where someone remembers when Coke was 25 cents and a burger was a dollar. ;)

They still are.

Burgers for a dollar anyway.

Dollar menu at Mickey D's.
:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

airdvr

I know many successful people who aren't OPDs.

Do they own anything more expensive than average? An F-150 instead of a Fiesta? A house worth more than $115k? Any purely frivolous items like a nice set of golf clubs or a designer suit? Any of them send their kids to private school?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then why don't you think they're douchebags?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I know many successful people who aren't OPDs.

Do they own anything more expensive than average? An F-150 instead of a Fiesta? A house worth more than $115k? Any purely frivolous items like a nice set of golf clubs or a designer suit? Any of them send their kids to private school? Any of them skydive? (Not an inexpensive hobby).

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then why don't you think they're douchebags? Just piling on.

Don

GeorgiaDon

I spent a week living amongst over privileged douchebags.

Sounds like class envy. Why do you hate people just because they got an education that leads to a well paying career?

To be fair, education doesn't necessarily factor into it. I'm a tech startup asswipe and I view my university education as a waste of time and money. I left Microsoft to get my degree, and regret doing so but am now making up for lost time.
cavete terrae.

airdvr

I'd forgotten that we got to In-n-Out Thursday afternoon (beer). Now that's a burger joint. Same meal for $12.

Same conceptual items, perhaps, but entirely different execution and price range.

If McDonalds is a Kia, In'n'Out is a VW, and that leaves room for Audi, or BMW, or even Maybach. Is one unconditionally "better" in every respect? Of course not. But the market allows for all of them to exist. Me personally, I prefer Five Guys for the most part, but In'n'Out is a nice option when I'm feeling cheap.

Granted, I was in Australia for long enough so everything in the US seems cheap.
cavete terrae.

Andy9o8

I feel what you're saying re price gouging
but people sometimes forget that supply and demand factors supply, not just demand.

Businesses to the north and south have reasonable prices, (1 and 2 hour round trips) so I'm not so sure that's the problem here...

...but what do I know, my economics class was at eight o'clock in the morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb4GTbdQq4

I can go on with some stories and personal talks I've had with the business owners up here that might shed some light on the type of mentality we're dealing with...but maybe another time.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Hi Phree,

where someone remembers when Coke was 25 cents and a burger was a dollar.

When I was in high school ( quite a few lifetimes ago ) we had a local burger place that had the Fabulous Forty-Niner; hamburger, fries and a milk shake for $0.49.

Times change, life passes, things go on: C'est la vie

Jerry Baumchen

jakee

Not if you have working taste buds...

Says the bloke living in a place where fries piled into a piece of folded white bread is considered food. :P
Remster

Remster

Not if you have working taste buds...

Says the bloke living in a place where fries piled into a piece of folded white bread is considered food. :P

Hey, that's a lie! Well, it's an exaggeration. Well, it's kinda true. Well, it's... let's just say it's irrelevant, ok?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

This was a trip to see Rox's new grandson (highlight of the trip for me)

Congrats. Grandkids are something special.

Don