PhreeZone

Glad this $65 Million will be Tax free income

PhreeZone

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/megachurch-pastor-seeks-donations-pricey-private-jet-29620760?cid=fb_wn_sf

I don't seem to recall anywhere in the Bible that it mentions you need a new Gulfstream G650 to spread the word.

Well, he's asking people that are already known to be gullible and stupid. Might as well aim high.
cavete terrae.

quade

I'm unclear why religion is exempt from taxation to begin with.

Seriously. Why are some con men thrown in jail and others given tax free status?

Better marketing.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Creflo Dollar has followed in the footsteps of Freddie K.C. Price. Freddie would openly ask for money to buy another Rolls Royce.

Dollar, Price, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barack Hussein Obama all cut from the same cloth.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

these guys just followed the Path that was paved by Jim Baaker, Tammy Faye, Jimmy Swaggart, and others.... Nothing NEW here..... it doesn't really HAVE to do with race.... unless you count the RACE to make those bank deposits !!B|;)

The contributers seem like Just a bunch of Lost souls,,, being Coerced out of their money, which in some cases could be well used elsewhere....
These preacher types are smooooth and persuasive.. PITY the fool who is so easily parted with his/her $$$$$$$$......[:/],, and THinks it's in exchange for some type of eternal salvation... Praise the Lord, and pass the Jet A .....:o

ryoder

***I'm unclear why religion is exempt from taxation to begin with.

Seriously. Why are some con men thrown in jail and others given tax free status?

Better marketing.

yup

churches should be taxed just like every other business.

Organized business that provides a means to practice religion (even when sincere) is no more protected by our rights - It shouldn't be freedom of 'religions', it SHOULD be freedom for individuals to practice faith

Gun clubs aren't tax exempt - 2nd amendment
Advertising companies aren't tax exempt - 1st amendment
(now there are some groups that claim to protect the 1st and do get tax exempt statuses also - they shouldn't)

etc etc etc

rights accrue to individuals, extending that to businesses that assist in the practice of rights is crappy overreach - similar to treating companies as individuals....

this is a bit of a libertarian thing, I guess - as the other philosophies seem just fine with socialization of individual rights to collective groupings.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Over time, men like this fall. His time is coming.

ETA: My opinion is the churches should be untaxed unless, 1) the Johnson Amendment is violated, and 2) monies taken from the church for salaries and mansions should be taxed. I know that most churches own the mansions and lease it to the pastor for $1.00 per year or something, but if it's not money for the church or its grounds, it should be taxed. The pastor's income should be taxed the same as everyone else - along with a cap on expense accounts.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm unclear why religion is exempt from taxation to begin with.

My understanding is that it is rooted in the 1st amendment. Taxation is a form of control, and also implies a superior/subordinate relationship. The superior entity does the taxing, the subordinate the paying. In order to establish the separation of the state* and religious organizations, there can be no means by which the state* can exert power or control, hence the state* cannot tax religious organizations. If I am wrong about this I'm sure some of our resident legal eagles will correct me.

*Note that by "state" the law applies to all levels of government, municipal, State, and Federal. This is a common use of the term "state", contrary to the moronic interpretation of certain anti-ACA idiots who insist that "state" refers only to the level of government between Municipal and Federal.

Don

rehmwa

churches should be taxed just like every other business.

Organized business that provides a means to practice religion (even when sincere) is no more protected by our rights - It shouldn't be freedom of 'religions', it SHOULD be freedom for individuals to practice faith

Tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) severely limits the influence churches have when it comes political campaigns and their ability to lobby.

I wonder if those calling for churches to be taxed like businesses are ready to open the floodgates of religious lobbyists...
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***churches should be taxed just like every other business.

Tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) severely limits the influence churches have when it comes political campaigns and their ability to lobby.

I wonder if those calling for churches to be taxed like businesses are ready to open the floodgates of religious lobbyists...

so freedom of religion is special in terms of tax treatment. Got it. I'd extend that benefit to environmental groups - their fanaticism has reached religious fervor (faith without fact)

Will you be lobbying for gun purchases to be tax free? And firing ranges too?

How about any group that has an opinion that needs speech? At least internet providers for sure. Perhaps movie theators - they do advise me on what I can't yell within their walls.....

I think locksmiths help me exercise my right to keep soldiers from quartering in my house......

I can't testify against myself, maybe legal firms should be tax exempt......they advise me about practicing that right...just like a church leader advises one on practicing religion

If lobbyists are the problem, then we should get rid of lobbyists for all companies.

I'm just sayin'
(and feelin' "snarktastic" too)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

PhreeZone

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/megachurch-pastor-seeks-donations-pricey-private-jet-29620760?cid=fb_wn_sf

I don't seem to recall anywhere in the Bible that it mentions you need a new Gulfstream G650 to spread the word.

The "prosperity gospel" is just wrong. As a Christ follower it really fires me up because it hurts so many other churches doing amazing things in the world.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

>I wonder if those calling for churches to be taxed like businesses are ready
>to open the floodgates of religious lobbyists...

The floodgates have already been opened. Might as well get those deadbeats to support the US via taxes like all the other lobbyists do.

============
Religious advocacy grows on Capitol Hill
By Michelle Boorstein
November 21, 2011
WaPo

The field of religious advocacy has mushroomed on Capitol Hill in recent decades, a new survey shows, with the number of groups growing fivefold since 1970 and hundreds of millions spent each year to influence issues from school vouchers and immigration to the right of women overseas to have abortions.

The report, released Monday by the Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, appears to be the most extensive research ever done on D.C.-based lobbyists and advocates on faith matters. It documents the widening range of domestic and foreign issues religious groups push and fight and shows the entrance in recent years of religious minority groups, such as Muslims, Sikhs and secular organizations, into the field.

The survey identifies the work of 212 faith-oriented groups, which spend about $390 million per year. That is up from less than 40 such groups in 1970.

The biggest spenders, the survey says, include the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, and established social conservative groups focusing on abortion, same-sex marriage and home-schooling. The report’s authors said that the science of identifying “religious” advocates was imprecise but that they picked groups that said they were driven by faith convictions.
===================

rehmwa

******churches should be taxed just like every other business.

Will you be lobbying for gun purchases to be tax free?

Given that we already have to pay taxes on bibles, I think it would be a pretty hard sell...

rehmwa

How about any group that has an opinion that needs speech? At least internet providers for sure. Perhaps movie theators - they do advise me on what I can't yell within their walls.....

I think locksmiths help me exercise my right to keep soldiers from quartering in my house......

I can't testify against myself, maybe legal firms should be tax exempt......they advise me about practicing that right...just like a church leader advises one on practicing religion

Have these groups applied for tax exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) as a non-profit and charitable organization?

If they were approved, would they be willing to limit their political voice and earning potential according to the restrictions of having achieved tax exempt status?

rehmwa

I'm just sayin'
(and feelin' "snarktastic" too)

Ya, I could've responded to anyone's post in the thread to make my point. I went with yours because it seemed objective and reasonable.

billvon

***>I wonder if those calling for churches to be taxed like businesses are ready
>to open the floodgates of religious lobbyists...

The floodgates have already been opened.
Nah, merely a leak...

billvon

Might as well get those deadbeats to support the US via taxes like all the other lobbyists do.

Organizations such as the American Israel Public Affairs Committee listed in your article are not churches or non-profit charities under 501(c)(3).

They are social organizations under 501(c)(4) - and unlike churches, they are allowed limited permission to lobby. Any income they spend on political advocacy is taxable, so I'm not sure what "deadbeats" you're referring to...

Coreeece

Given that we already have to pay taxes on bibles, I think it would be a pretty hard sell...

see, to me, THAT makes more sense to be tax free than exempting the organizations

rehmwa

***Given that we already have to pay taxes on bibles, I think it would be a pretty hard sell...

see, to me, THAT makes more sense to be tax free than exempting the organizations

I might agree, or not, about the organizations. I definitely am against deductions for charitable contributions and mortgage interest. If you want to contribute to a cause, go right ahead (as do I), just don't ask for a reduction in your taxes. If you want to buy a house to live in and need to borrow money (as did I), go right ahead, just don't ask for a reduction in your taxes.

Remember back when the US Constitution was written government bureaucracy was minuses. Gov't social programs were minuscule. In most of Europe, church's ran most of the social programs (schools, hospitals, universities, etc) and charitable programs (orphanages, leper colonies, etc). European churches often owned more land and collected larger rents than local princes, so in much of Europe, the church was more powerful than the nobility. The church often mediated disputes between kingdoms, so it was in-wise of gov't offend the church.

Also remember that many immigrants to the 13 Colonies were fleeing religious wars back in their homelands. Amish fleeing the 30-Years War, Puritans fleeing the English Civil War, Maryland Catholics fleeing persecution in England, etc.
The last thing the 13 Colonies wanted to do was host a religious crusade or jihadi invasion. They hoped to avoid religious violence by reducing religious tensions, by minimizing religious privilege.
For the most part, America's founding fathers managed to keep religious blood-shed to one percent of that in their homelands.
Hoorah!