rushmc

Positive Consequences of the Hobby Lobby Ruling

Secular, for profit companies that sell goods and or services to the general public should not, under any circumstances, be exempt from the laws that govern the operations of other secular businesses.

Notre Dame University is a SECULAR operation conducted as a BUSINESS operation of the Catholic church. It is not now and has never been a religious operation. It is a for profit university. If the Catholic Church does not like following civil law in their business operations, they are free to close the business, or sell it to an organization that WILL follow the law.

Fuck the religious bullshit fairy tales that stupid people believe in. That crap was invented to gain and maintain power over others. In this day and age it is an anachronism that should be disposed ot.

Andy9o8

Is there a criminal statue that accuses a person of cheating, with the word cheating?

I suppose I'd have to research the federal statutes and the statutes of at least 50 states plus D.C. & Puerto Rico. I'll send you my paypal info, you deposit a $3,000 retainer, and when the funds are confirmed I'll get right on it.

A "nope never heard of it" or "I think there might be" answer
was all I was expecting.

My fault for not phrasing my question correctly.

funjumper101

Secular, for profit companies that sell goods and or services to the general public should not, under any circumstances, be exempt from the laws that govern the operations of other secular businesses.

Notre Dame University is a SECULAR operation conducted as a BUSINESS operation of the Catholic church. It is not now and has never been a religious operation. It is a for profit university. If the Catholic Church does not like following civil law in their business operations, they are free to close the business, or sell it to an organization that WILL follow the law.

Fuck the religious bullshit fairy tales that stupid people believe in. That crap was invented to gain and maintain power over others. In this day and age it is an anachronism that should be disposed ot.

Notre Dame University is a not-for-profit organization that receives favorable tax treatment. Its affiliation with the Roman church is not the reason for this tax treatment. Any not-for-profit university will receive the same treatment whether religiously affiliated or not. FOR-PROFIT colleges (like U. of Phoenix) are a different matter entirely.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Andy9o8

FWIW, I agree with the moral and ethical point you're trying to make. But don't confuse it with a legal point; and let's aim the (ethical) point where it really lies: at the unholy alliance between the plutocrats and the politicians who craft the tax code.

And run the campaign contribution system. If that isn't graft, then I do not know the meaning of the word. Just because something is legal (by virtue of being unlawful) does not make it ethical.

Oddly enough, I was listening to this very discussion on NPR this morning (which I have not heard in ten years due to working abroad), in which the federal, legal meaning of the term 'corruption' was compared to what it 'meant' in the 1970's to Justice Warren Burger (excerpt from an audio recording in the law school of a major university) vs once more what it seems to mean now as defined in federal law. Very different, and very troubling.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

kallend

Seems that Hobby Lobby's "strong Christian values" don't extend to smuggling black market artifacts.

www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/hobby-lobby-smuggled-thousands-of-ancient-artifacts-out-of-iraq/532743/

WWJD?

There should be no doubt. No if's or maybe's, collectors know where these artifacts are coming from. Know that they are stolen from the countries where they were made.

So apparently customs fraud and smuggling is ok as long as you're doing millions of dollars worth of it. How much would it take for Joe Average to go to jail for that instead of Green billionaire?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Their Christian values don't include fraud and lying just judging women on birth control.

Company president said "Such acquisitions are "consistent with the Company's mission and passion for the Bible."
Christians seem to never understand the rules they live by, yet want to impose those laws on everyone.
Reminds me of sharia law.

normiss

Company president said "Such acquisitions are 'consistent with the Company's mission and passion for the Bible.'"
Christians seem to never understand the rules they live by.

Like, "thou shalt not steal," and "thou shalt not covet"?
[:/]
Seems to me the logic behind the acquisition of these items was that the company had "passion for the Bible" and therefore sought to own for itself those very artifacts related to that publication. However, in doing so, they coveted those items, and stole them (or paid others to steal them) from the rightful owners.

So, passion for the items associated with the book, but not so much for the teachings within said book. Okay, I'm tracking. :|
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!