BillyVance

Students at California college bans US flag from lobby

Yea...one of these days, another time, another Ivory Tower, some students (and maybe some faculty too) are gonna do the same stuff and in the process of physically removing the flag just might be engaged by a bunch of ex-GI's taking full advantage of their GI Bill. And remembering some of their wounded and KIA'd buddies from Iraq, Afghanistan and places in between, are gonna unleash on big can of whupass on em.'

quade

******I wonder whether these kids will approach the UN in New York as say that all those flags together are symbols of colonialism and oppression and should be removed.

I just read that a CA law maker plans to present a bill limiting flag locations in his state as well[:/]

Where did you read that?

I just read the headline this am or this weekend
I will see if I can find it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

jgoose71

The American Flag used to be a symbol of inclusiveness and freedom.

To whom?

First, I'll answer that question: To me, and to my wife, and to our children. All of our recent ancestors immigrated to America from Europe in the 19th or early 20th Centuries, and those immigrant-ancestors and almost all of their descendants have had lives filled with rights, liberties and opportunities, especially compared to what might have been had they not immigrated.

But to the descendants of the Native Americans living in the 18th & 19th Centuries, it is a symbol of the conquest and genocide of their ancestors. Prior to the Civil War, it was one of the symbols of the mass kidnapping, genocide and enslavement of Africans. To the victims of banana republics' repression and exploitation of their own citizens by brutal dictators installed and propped up by American military-commercial imperialism, it was the symbol of that.

The Big Picture: not something that lends itself to catchy patriotic slogans.

Boomerdog

Yea...one of these days, another time, another Ivory Tower, some students (and maybe some faculty too) are gonna do the same stuff and in the process of physically removing the flag just might be engaged by a bunch of ex-GI's taking full advantage of their GI Bill. And remembering some of their wounded and KIA'd buddies from Iraq, Afghanistan and places in between, are gonna unleash on big can of whupass on em.'

I respect vets so much to have such a view of them

- most vets I know aren't bullies or reactionary or physical like this representation, their training teaches them competence and control

I see them 'engaging' in the debate and being very vocal and passionate, and, frankly, pretty loud about it. I don't see them 'unleashing' whoopass. We train soldiers, not thugs.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

One could count the stars on a given American flag and then make a decision on how inclusive it was. Fewer than 48 stars and you know the flag came before the 19th amendment. Fewer than 37 and you know it came before the 15th amendment.

Whenever I see protestors burning a US flag that only has a couple dozen stars on it I think, "They have a point, there were definitely some things about the US in the 1820s that needed to change."

/edited to add tangent... I wanted to use excel to calculate how many days it had been since a state had been added when each state was added to determine the most specific thing you could protest by being literal in the number of stars you put on an American flag before burning it. I found that Excel refuses to operate with "negative dates" or dates prior to its epoch of 1 Jan 1900 which is disappointing.

Though by adding 2000 to each of the years with a replace all, the same end is achievable...

Turns out the answer is 41 which was only a valid number of stars for 3 days. 39 stars would be absurd as there were never exactly 39 states in the US.

I miss read the head line
It is just the oposite of what I posted above

Here is the head line link

California Republican Considering Legislation on Flag Bans

He is the story headline

California Republican Considering Legislation to Prohibit Banning American Flag in State-Funded Schools

Either way I misread it

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/03/08/california-republican-considering-legislation-to-prohibit-banning-american-flag-in-state-funded-schools/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

Clearly a fine demonstration of the absence of mature judgment common in college students.

Yet some people think arming them is a good idea. WTF?

Um I don't remember anyone saying arming a liberal was a good idea. That falls under the mentally ill clause on the 4473

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

Clearly a fine demonstration of the absence of mature judgment common in college students.

Um I don't remember anyone saying arming a liberal was a good idea. That falls under the mentally ill clause on the 4473

I doubt these are liberals:

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/08/frat-racist-sae-oklahoma_n_6828212.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Are you sure? The Democratic party brought us a civil war, the KKK and modern day slavery (welfare) so my bet is they are democrats maybe a rhino but by no means a conservative.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

Are you sure? The Democratic party brought us a civil war, the KKK and modern day slavery (welfare) so my bet is they are democrats maybe a rhino but by no means a conservative.

Prior to 1964 the Republicans were the progressives and the Dems were conservative. LBJ changed that.

So don't conflate "liberal" with "Democrat", it simply isn't true historically.

Your statement makes about as much sense as your "glass parking lot" posts.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Boomerdog

Whupass ain't necessarily physical. Where oh where did you EVER get tha impression?!?!? I'm shocked!

So, some time, in another Ivory Tower, some college students are going to get a stern lecture from some ex-GIs? Isn't that exactly the sort of thing they're after?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Andy9o8

*** The American Flag used to be a symbol of inclusiveness and freedom.

To whom?

First, I'll answer that question: To me, and to my wife, and to our children. All of our recent ancestors immigrated to America from Europe in the 19th or early 20th Centuries, and those immigrant-ancestors and almost all of their descendants have had lives filled with rights, liberties and opportunities, especially compared to what might have been had they not immigrated.

But to the descendants of the Native Americans living in the 18th & 19th Centuries, it is a symbol of the conquest and genocide of their ancestors. Prior to the Civil War, it was one of the symbols of the mass kidnapping, genocide and enslavement of Africans. To the victims of banana republics' repression and exploitation of their own citizens by brutal dictators installed and propped up by American military-commercial imperialism, it was the symbol of that.

The Big Picture: not something that lends itself to catchy patriotic slogans.

Way to answer your own question. Yes, we may not have started out so great, but we keep getting better. The millions who have immigrated through Ellis Island and others who have came here legally very much love the American Flag.

So the big question is why are you so scared of Americans having a symbol to unify behind? Does a unified country scare your liberal senses?

And if not the American Flag, what would you suggest we get behind to unify us? The hatred of not being dependent on government? Hatred of those who will not bow down to our government overlords?:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

kallend

Well thankfully in Oklahoma they have a few more years to mature before they can apply for a CCW (age 21)

In the meantime however, they don't have to be mature in order to vote or fight in the military.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

kallend

And if not the American Flag, what would you suggest we get behind to unify us?

I would suggest the Constitution.

Ok, lets start with the second amendment and see how that goes....

Coreeece

Ok, lets start with the second amendment and see how that goes....

Usually you would start at number one. It's telling that you don't.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

Nah - just wasnt that funny. (I agree with you though - the idea of a unified populace is hilarious if you look at speakers corner.)

So it wasn't funny, but it was hilarious?

tough crowd...

Boomerdog

Whupass ain't necessarily physical. Where oh where did you EVER get tha impression?!?!? I'm shocked!

I'll accept that. written word and tone is always hard to interpret.

thanks for clarifying

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

you can't fly that.....first good wind or rainstorm and it's shredded

Normal for an ivory tower type - great intentions and a good idea in theory, but not practical in application

(Ivory tower types that live in glass houses shouldn't throw two birds with one hand in case....something something....I forget the rest)