BillyVance

Students at California college bans US flag from lobby

Wow... Are you fucking kidding me? They're equating the flag to hate speech? :S

Fucking liberals.... :|

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-student-group-bans-american-flag-from-lobby/ar-AA9vm3X
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Cool. I got the original story off msn.com anyhow... Glad to see the majority rejected the acts of the minority, in this case anyway.

But hey, it's California. The same state that had a school banning students from wearing clothing with the US flag colors or designs on them on Cinco de Mayo. It was within that context and memory of that incident I posted this thread.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BornToThrill

Wow, absolutely disappointing. A lot of people died so that flag can be flown proudly. A lack of patriotism is paralyzing this country.

And if you think we're paralyzed now, wait until these wannabes snake their way into office....
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Coreeece

***Wow, absolutely disappointing. A lot of people died so that flag can be flown proudly. A lack of patriotism is paralyzing this country.

And if you think we're paralyzed now, wait until these wannabes snake their way into office....

Blah blah fucking blah - kids of today etc.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

kallend

Clearly a fine demonstration of the absence of mature judgment common in college students.

Yet some people think arming them is a good idea. WTF?

You're right. I agree.
We should ban liberals from owning guns.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

kallend

Clearly a fine demonstration of the absence of mature judgment common in college students.

They let you have guns . . . Don't they?
I see little difference.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

BIGUN

You're right. I agree.
We should ban liberals from owning guns.

Sounds good to me. :D It's duck season! No, it's rabbit season! NO, it's liberals season! Ooookay.... :ph34r:

BornToThrill

Wow, absolutely disappointing. A lot of people died so that flag can be flown proudly. A lack of patriotism is paralyzing this country.

Sigh.

It wasn't a "lack of patriotism." It really wasn't. What it was, was an attempt by four students to do something they thought would be a good thing; symbolically remove ALL national cultural bias in a very specific area of the campus before working on student government affairs. Nothing to do with patriotism pro or anti at all. Just as patriotism pro or anti should have nothing to do with voting about what comic or local rock band to book at the next student pep rally. The vote was to remove ALL of the flags in the lobby of the student government office, ALL of them; Mexican, Korean, Japanese, and yes American as well.

It appears THAT was their undoing.

Best intentions, slightly misguided, blown way the fuck out of proportion.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

The vote was to remove ALL of the flags in the lobby of the student government office, ALL of them; Mexican, Korean, Japanese, and yes American as well.

The whole thing started with the removal of an American flag attached with an anonymous note saying that it doesn't belong. When it was put back up they came forth with this bill that singled out the American flag by specifically calling it out as a symbol of colonialism, imperialism, exceptionalism and superiority.

I can however appreciate the irony of promoting inclusivity by banning shit.

If it were a mexican flag, an arabic flag or a gay pride flag that was removed, do you really believe that it would be perceived as promoting inclusivity?

quade

Perhaps, but I would sum it up as misguided busybodies with nothing better to do, who blew out of proportion the idea that the American flag could be a threat to inclusivity.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

How boring a life you must lead.

Why don't you concern yourself w/ things closer to home, and that you can actually grasp. Why concern yourself w/ California, if all you will ever know is Alabama.

Isn't it squirrel hunting season yet?

BillyVance

Cool. I got the original story off msn.com anyhow... Glad to see the majority rejected the acts of the minority, in this case anyway.

But hey, it's California. The same state that had a school banning students from wearing clothing with the US flag colors or designs on them on Cinco de Mayo. It was within that context and memory of that incident I posted this thread.

I understand where you are coming from Quade. BUT, that flag represents their ability to pursue their education and be a part of this great nation. A student govt shouldn't be influenced by any flag, as their business does not compare to any similar affair represented by any flag by any country. I have no problem with other flags being up as well, as long as the US flag is first and above since this is taking place in the US.

I truly believe this was done with the intent to create a controversy or a reaction. College students are always trying to leave their mark or footprint in these types of associations...

BornToThrill

http://news.yahoo.com/banning-american-flag-why-uc-irvine-flap-might-120115563.html

sad...

Is it?

The US is kind of unique when it comes to free countries and general flag displays. Generally speaking, in countries where civilian institutions and even homes show the number of country flags as are typically shown in the US, one tends to think of over-the-top despots and dictatorships where patriotism is forced on the populace.

Ask just about anybody from a free country to name a couple of things that strike them as weird about the US and frequently the US flag thing pops up somewhere in the conversation.

Don't get me wrong. There is a time and place for it, but also look around. The US has American flags pretty much EVERYWHERE.
quade -

lawrocket

I wonder whether these kids will approach the UN in New York as say that all those flags together are symbols of colonialism and oppression and should be removed.

I just read that a CA law maker plans to present a bill limiting flag locations in his state as well[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I just read that a CA law maker plans to present a bill limiting flag locations in his state as well[:/]

Do you have a reference for this? The deadline has passed to introduce new legislation this year and I couldn't readily find anything.

Last year's AB 2444 banned state sales of the confederate flag, but that's not really the same thing.

rushmc

***I wonder whether these kids will approach the UN in New York as say that all those flags together are symbols of colonialism and oppression and should be removed.

Where did you read that?
quade -

quade

******I wonder whether these kids will approach the UN in New York as say that all those flags together are symbols of colonialism and oppression and should be removed.

Where did you read that?

I read it too. A guy called Marc Rush wrote it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

quade

It wasn't a "lack of patriotism." It really wasn't. What it was, was an attempt by four students to do something they thought would be a good thing; symbolically remove ALL national cultural bias in a very specific area of the campus before working on student government affairs. Nothing to do with patriotism pro or anti at all. Just as patriotism pro or anti should have nothing to do with voting about what comic or local rock band to book at the next student pep rally. The vote was to remove ALL of the flags in the lobby of the student government office, ALL of them; Mexican, Korean, Japanese, and yes American as well.

It appears THAT was their undoing.

I hate to break it to you but the reason that they had the flag removed was because:

the American flag has been flown in times of "colonialism and imperialism" and could symbolize American "exceptionalism and superiority." The resolution says "freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible, can be interpreted as hate speech."

Where did they get that idea?

The American Flag used to be a symbol of inclusiveness and freedom.

I remember a time when I saw the flag flying proudly in a place with the flags of all the other countries represented by that company flying proudly underneath them. The message was "We came from many different backgrounds, but we have all come together here in America to make this a better place."

In other countries (Iraq and Syria just to name two) instead of trying to unite people under their country's flag, they try to unite people by creating a common enemy.

Of course, dividing people and pitting them against the others is a common tactic of the Saul Alinski left now a days.

Being American is bad. You have to be Black, White, Hispanic, Arabic, Gay, or whatever. But whatever you do, don't come together as a nation...:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything