rushmc

Another NEW study on Climate Change

Linked from a favorite site but as you will see it but please pay attention and you will see it comes from “Climatic and biotic thresholds of coral-reef shutdown.” (Nature Climate Change, February 2015)

A new study has found that La Niña-like conditions in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Panamá were closely associated with an abrupt shutdown in coral reef growth that lasted 2,500 years. The study suggests that future changes in climate similar to those in the study could cause coral reefs to collapse in the future.

The study found cooler sea temperatures, greater precipitation and stronger upwelling — all indicators of La Niña-like conditions at the study site in Panama — during a period when coral reef accretion stopped in this region around 4,100 years ago. For the study, researchers traveled to Panama to collect a reef core, and then used the corals within the core to reconstruct what the environment was like as far back as 6,750 years ago.

Hmmm
So we were killing them over 4000 years ago
But wait!:o

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/02/23/inconvenient-study-la-nina-killed-coral-reefs-4100-years-ago-and-lasted-over-two-millenia/
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>So we were killing them over 4000 years ago

Uh . . . . . no.

Uh . . . . . exactly.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Linked from a favorite site but as you will see it but please pay attention and you will see it comes from “Climatic and biotic thresholds of coral-reef shutdown.” (Nature Climate Change, February 2015)

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/02/23/inconvenient-study-la-nina-killed-coral-reefs-4100-years-ago-and-lasted-over-two-millenia/

So why didn't you quote the actual article rather than the spin from your favorite denier site?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Linked from a favorite site but as you will see it but please pay attention and you will see it comes from “Climatic and biotic thresholds of coral-reef shutdown.” (Nature Climate Change, February 2015)

So why didn't you quote the actual article rather than the spin from your favorite denier site?

The link is there
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

Really?

You think the climate does not change?

Even I thought better of you than that
Abraham Lincoln

Because we all know things change
It is the cause that is the debate
nice try though

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/02/25/local-sea-level-rose-4-inches-in-the-northeast-us-and-newfoundland-global-warming-not-to-blame/
Abraham Lincoln

Did you read the link you provided?

Did you see this?

“The President’s climate change agenda has only siphoned precious taxpayer dollars away from the real problems facing the American people,” said Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okl.) late last year.

I am glad you are coming around
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Did you read the link you provided?

Did you see this?

“The President’s climate change agenda has only siphoned precious taxpayer dollars away from the real problems facing the American people,” said Sen. James M. Inhofe (R-Okl.) late last year.

I am glad you are coming around

Whoosh.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Remster

How about we start discussing actual science, and not a clickbait website opinion piece?

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2015/02/25/co2-greenhouse-effect-increase/

I started reading that one
linked on the same site I use

funny how honest this site is compared to many others

So much for your clickbait comment huh
Abraham Lincoln

Clickbait is a pejorative term describing web content that is aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, ...

Copied and pasted

Did YOU know what it meant?
Abraham Lincoln

Do you suppose Mr Watts was thinking of you when he posted this at the start of the latest link I just posted?

From the “this ought to shut up the “Skydragon slayers” department. Despite sophomoric claims that I’m a “denier”, I’ve never disputed that CO2 has a role in warming via retardation of IR transfer from the surface to the top of the atmosphere. What is really the issue related to AGW claims are the posited/modeled but not observed feedbacks and the logarithmic (not linear) saturation curve response of CO2. Along those lines, eyeballing the graph presented from the north slope of Alaska, it appears there might be a bit of a slowdown or “pause” in the rate of forcing from about 2007 onward. Hopefully, LBL will release the data for independent analysis.

Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>How about we start discussing actual science . . .

Neil DeGrasse Tyson put it well - "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them."

Objective truth is interesting. Let's hit on something here:

Does climate model data demonstrate objective truth? I say they do not. May I also suggest that a very large number of people are offended that I refuse to be enlightened by them?

Can you imagine a world where people are enlightened by objective truth and know the difference between objective truth and subjective wish?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

***>How about we start discussing actual science . . .

Neil DeGrasse Tyson put it well - "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them."

Objective truth is interesting. Let's hit on something here:

Does climate model data demonstrate objective truth? I say they do not. May I also suggest that a very large number of people are offended that I refuse to be enlightened by them?

Can you imagine a world where people are enlightened by objective truth and know the difference between objective truth and subjective wish?

Careful Jerry - you might burst his bubble.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'll actually take a step back. Climate models can provide some enlightenment. They can provide some ideas and give some scenarios.

But the do not put out objective truth. They don't. Only empirical observation can do that.

Caveat is once something is a law. For example, the universe will eventually be a cold place devoid of active stars because that is the law (entropy). Or, leave an aircraft at altitude on earth and you will be accerated toward the center of the earth. That is a law.

Add CO2 to the atmosphere and it will warm with sunlight. That's a law. crime will rise due to climate change. Or precipitation along the northeast will increase is not a law. It is not an objective truth.

We have to wait to measure the objective truth. Then we take guesses at attribution. It rained today due to anthropogenic climate change. That's not science.

lawrocket

I'll actually take a step back. Climate models can provide some enlightenment. They can provide some ideas and give some scenarios.

But the do not put out objective truth. They don't. Only empirical observation can do that.

Caveat is once something is a law. For example, the universe will eventually be a cold place devoid of active stars because that is the law (entropy). Or, leave an aircraft at altitude on earth and you will be accerated toward the center of the earth. That is a law.

Add CO2 to the atmosphere and it will warm with sunlight. That's a law. crime will rise due to climate change. Or precipitation along the northeast will increase is not a law. It is not an objective truth.

We have to wait to measure the objective truth. Then we take guesses at attribution. It rained today due to anthropogenic climate change. That's not science.

It is only ACG when it is, and it is not, when it is not, until it is, then it is. So, from that we can take that even when it is not ACG it is.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Does climate model data demonstrate objective truth?

Yes.

>Can you imagine a world where people are enlightened by objective truth and
>know the difference between objective truth and subjective wish?

Yes. There would be no science deniers in such a world, which would be cool.

billvon

>Does climate model data demonstrate objective truth?

Yes.

>Can you imagine a world where people are enlightened by objective truth and
>know the difference between objective truth and subjective wish?

Yes. There would be no science deniers in such a world, which would be cool.

Can you explain how a computer projections data is objectively verifiable? As you know, climate models estimate possible future trends. Would you mind telling me how a computer model's projection is objective truth when the projected data has no empirical observation yet? Because I always thought that science required observation. Even a site like skeptical science describes that climate models may be "conservative" in their estimates.

I never thought a conservative estimate was anything but subjective. Please explain your conclusion that climate models provide objective truth. (Aside - does objective truth ever need to be improved?)