mpohl

Seems Every Punk in this Freaking Country Can Get a Gun

SmokeJumper

Some people go bat shit crazy in traffic. .... Now I have no idea why I followed this guy home at this time......People do make some stupid mistakes.

Well no, most people don't. Failure to recognize this colors your world view.

Indeed. The idea of becoming enraged over a driving slight (particularly when there hasn't even been an accident) is bizarre to me. A few weeks ago it was raining just a little bit and a woman rear-ended me while I was stopped at a red light. I set the parking brake, got out of the car, and you know what the first thing I said to her was ? "Hey, are you okay?"

It's not difficult people.

Anvilbrother

I had a post typed up on my phone, and had to scoot out to another station for a call so I hit send figuring it got my point across. If you lock the phone and come back to the webpage later it reloads the page and erases all content you typed.

Pro-tip: if you hit "Preview Post" before you lock the phone and then it does this reload, your message will be intact.

kallend

However, why should the people of a state that enacts sensible laws have to put up with the exported cluelessness of another state?

Sensible eh?

I don't suppose your idea of "sensible" is anything like the version that is snaking it's way through the 9th circuit (see Peruta v. Gore) right now, is it?

Which is really what this proposed reciprocity bill is about. Defeating it isn't about protecting people in states with sensible laws from gun owners in states with insensible laws. Defeating it is about protecting some states' desire to maintain their insensible laws. Passing it is about protecting gun owners from states with sensible laws from prosecution by states with insensible laws.

This might come as a surprise to you.

But in Germany everybody can own a weapon. No permit necessary, no paperwork, nothing! Unlike here in the US.

The catch: it is limited to single-shot front loaders. And they cannot incorporate technology developed after Jan 1, 1871 (yes, that's 1871!)

An approach like that would gel perfectly with the constitutional right to carry arms in the US. And as the authors of the constitution intended at the time it was written.

BillyVance

I seriously think you will be happier living back in Germany.

:S

SmokeJumper

***more than 1,400 people who had pleaded guilty or no contest to felonies had been awarded concealed carry permits...

Not all felonies are created equal. Back in the day, felonies were serious violent crimes. Nowadays, after decades of "grade inflation" minor non-violent and even victimless crimes are classed as felonies. They shouldn't be, and they should not disqualify anyone from owning and carrying a firearm.

FWIW, until recently in Virginia any sex except missionary position between husband and wife was a hanging offense. This dated back to the 17th or 18th Century and was not generally enforced, but 'the good old days' left much to be desired in terms of evenhanded jurisprudence.

kallend

It gets worse. The GOP is pushing a bill that would allow a concealed carry holder from a state that has no effective checks on who gets the permits to flaunt that permit in any other state, including those with proper checks.

A permit to carry a concealed weapon from Mississippi is just proof of the owner’s ability to fill out an application. In Virginia, you can take an online course. You can get a permit from Florida without ever living in Florida, although you have to send $112 to the State Department of Agriculture.

In 2007, The Sun Sentinel in Florida found that in a six-month period, more than 1,400 people who had pleaded guilty or no contest to felonies had been awarded concealed carry permits, along with 216 people with outstanding warrants, 28 people with active domestic violence injunctions against them, and six registered sex offenders.

The GOP wants these folks to be allowed to carry their guns anywhere they like in the USA.

The 2nd amendment gives every free man the right to bear arms. No state should have a CWP. But since we have given up that little slice of our liberty already then one permit should cover every inch of our nation.

As for your 2007 information I would have to research that but I am going to flat out call that story false or at the minimum misleading. to have a CWP ANYWHERE the permit holder has their information ran every 24 hours. If you come back dirty they are coming to your home for your guns and they are not going to ask nicely

So if you really stopped and used that big old brain of yours, making sure all of us radical conservatives that carry a weapon every day were watched over, having a CWP does that for you. But that would take some actual logical thinking on your part.

As for this story, to have a hand gun legally in Nevada you have to be 21 and every gun is registered when you buy it. You get a "blue" card that stays with the gun. The kid in this story obviously didn't have a legal right to a handgun.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

An approach like that would gel perfectly with the constitutional right to carry arms in the US. And as the authors of the constitution intended at the time it was written.

Bullshit. That approach completely disregards the original intent and meaning behind the 2nd Amendment. There are numerous papers, written by the actual authors defining quite clearly their reasons behind the Amendments (and not just the 2nd). It doesn't have much of anything to do with sporting, hunting, or self defense. But please, don't take my word for it.... look it up yourself.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

FWIW, until recently in Virginia any sex except missionary position between husband and wife was a hanging offense.

Well, from 1 to 10 years if a Class 5 Felony, or from 5 to 20 years if a Class 3 Felony. But otherwise, yeah.
And hell, it sounded good. ;)

Well there you go! You proved my point. You'll only have to dodge one bullet at a time over there. :ph34r:

mpohl

This might come as a surprise to you.

But in Germany everybody can own a weapon. No permit necessary, no paperwork, nothing! Unlike here in the US.

The catch: it is limited to single-shot front loaders. And they cannot incorporate technology developed after Jan 1, 1871 (yes, that's 1871!)

***I seriously think you will be happier living back in Germany.

:S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

kallend

It gets worse. The GOP is pushing a bill that would allow a concealed carry holder from a state that has no effective checks on who gets the permits to flaunt that permit in any other state, including those with proper checks.

OK. SO here are the facts: The Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act would allow gun owners who have a concealed carry permit in their home state to bring their firearms in any other state with concealed-carry laws. In essence, that is already the case for those with reciprocity between States. But, there are SOME states that have CCW and do not have reciprocity with those other states. The bill seeks to begin the process of leveling the playing field.

A permit to carry a concealed weapon from Mississippi is just proof of the owner’s ability to fill out an application. In Virginia, you can take an online course. You can get a permit from Florida without ever living in Florida, although you have to send $112 to the State Department of Agriculture.

You imply that filling out the form is all it takes. It does not. For example, in Virginia and Florida I can take the legal portion of the class online instead of sitting in a classroom. But, it does not satisfy the practical portion. Then, one has to prove their marksmanship (which I do take some exception as the requirements are pretty minimal. Anyone who's been in the military knows what the standard is and usually have the same feelings as I do on the matter for those who've never really trained with a weapon). However, if you have been in the military and qualified on a revolver or automatic or rifle, within the past 20 years - the practical portion is waived in some states.

In 2007, The Sun Sentinel in Florida found that in a six-month period, more than 1,400 people who had pleaded guilty or no contest to felonies had been awarded concealed carry permits, along with 216 people with outstanding warrants, 28 people with active domestic violence injunctions against them, and six registered sex offenders.

In Florida, for example, a murder rate that was 36% above the national average when carry reform went into effect in 1987, fell by 1991 to 4% below the national average.

The fact the permits are available does not mean that everyone will carry a gun. Usually only about 1% to 4% of a state's population will choose to obtain a permit.
SOURCE: http://www.davekopel.com/2a/lawrev/shallissue.htm

See, I can use old statistical information also. You're quoting 2007 information - that's 8 years ago now, Professor. In working with the State of Florida. Things have changed considerable

The GOP wants these folks to be allowed to carry their guns anywhere they like in the USA.

No. the "folks" know they have a constitutional right to carry and if they pass a background check - why shouldn't they be allowed to? Oh yeah, there is this whole pesky 2nd Amendment thing.

Quite frankly, I like sparring on here with you, but my fears are that when States go to Constitutional Carry - you may have a seizure or something... So, what I'd like to do is have you watch this timeline and to accept that you are now in the minority and perhaps its time to let it go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry#mediaviewer/File:Rtc2.gif
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

stayhigh

I've followed someone all the way to their cul de sac for cutting me off. ........
Now I have no idea why I followed this guy home at this time, maybe .........

that's messed up - it crosses the line from typical irritation to actively pursuing a hostile confrontation

made some dumb ass choices, and I can totally understand him.

anyone can 'understand' it, but it's a whole lot different from excusing it or condoning it (or taking action to restrict the rights of people that have their heads on straight to accommodate a small percentage of people that need help)

General comment (I'm not accusing stayhigh of this necessarily) I think people confuse empathy with acceptance a LOT more than what's reasonable

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

People with anger management problems don't mix well with guns. Letting them cross state lines with guns just makes things worse.

Just noticed this fear you have. Do you think someone is coming to get you?

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

ryoder

People with anger management problems don't mix well with guns. Letting them cross state lines with guns just makes things worse.

Such a person can only be in one place at a time.
Why do you think they would be more likely to cause a problem in a different state they are visiting, versus their home state where they spend most of their time?

Good question, for kallend. And here's another: If they already have anger management issues and have a gun, what makes him think that they'll give a shit about some law that prohibits them from taking that gun across a state line?

kallend

Missing the point. If the clueless people of MS elect clueless representatives that allow inappropriate people to carry concealed weapons, that's their fault and their problem. However, why should the people of a state that enacts sensible laws have to put up with the exported cluelessness of another state?

Because of the Constitution's full faith and credit clause:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

Would you prefer that states be allowed to not recognize gay marriages performed in other states? Should states give tickets to drivers from other states whose car insurance isn't up to their own standards?

TomWatson

Such a person can only be in one place at a time.
Why do you think they would be more likely to cause a problem in a different state they are visiting, versus their home state where they spend most of their time?

Good question, for kallend. And here's another: If they already have anger management issues and have a gun, what makes him think that they'll give a shit about some law that prohibits them from taking that gun across a state line?

So you think that people with anger management problems are likely to disobey laws, but it's still OK for them to have guns.

Fascinating idea, that because criminals are likely to disobey laws that there should be no laws. It seems to come up frequently from the gun lobby with respect to gun laws.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

mpohl

This might come as a surprise to you. But in Germany everybody can own a weapon. No permit necessary, no paperwork, nothing! Unlike here in the US.

That doesn't seem to be true:

See "Gun Regulation": http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/germany

So then, the right to free speech should only apply to printed words, and not to radio, TV or the internet?

I'd suggest you search German Law servers in German!

You do know German, don't you?!

TomWatson

***This might come as a surprise to you. But in Germany everybody can own a weapon. No permit necessary, no paperwork, nothing! Unlike here in the US.

So then, the right to free speech should only apply to printed words, and not to radio, TV or the internet?

Exactly.

So, now we have some dumb-nuts thinking that it is a a good idea to weaponize college campuses.

Because if female students, 19, 20, 21-year old, would carry guns, it will prevent rape.

What will happen next is something akin to this.
"It was dark, and the guy looked at me. I felt threatened and had to defend myself. Sorry I shot him in the leg."

"He was walking ten steps behind me. All the way from the student union to the dorm. I had to defend myself. Sorry he is dead!"

P.S.: Does the constitution allow for individual nuclear weapons? I mean, I would feel a lot safer carrying a personalized nuclear grenade. Which will take out any threat to myself in a 2-mi radius.

stayhigh

if murder was legal, a LOT more people will kill other people. Multiple times a day.

So you think that people with anger management problems are likely to disobey laws, but it's still OK for them to have guns.

He NEVER said that you did. He is only pointing out your stupid comment about people with anger issues and guns crossing state lines, and these are your words "will just make things worse."

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

TomWatson

Because of the Constitution's full faith and credit clause:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State."

Would you prefer that states be allowed to not recognize gay marriages performed in other states? Should states give tickets to drivers from other states whose car insurance isn't up to their own standards?

Bingo. Stated much better than my attempt. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Look at that punk! How come he was even allowed to get near a gun????? At 19, he can't legally buy a beer!!!!!

Assuming that he legally had the gun (I don't know), is it his age or his appearance that makes you think he shouldn't have been allowed to get near a gun?

As for the age thing, that does bug me. It seems that we need to decide on an age that makes a person a legal adult - at which point they can vote, buy alcohol, buy a gun, go into the military, have consensual sex with other adults, be charged with crimes as an adult, etc.

champu

Indeed. The idea of becoming enraged over a driving slight (particularly when there hasn't even been an accident) is bizarre to me. A few weeks ago it was raining just a little bit and a woman rear-ended me while I was stopped at a red light. I set the parking brake, got out of the car, and you know what the first thing I said to her was ? "Hey, are you okay?"

It's not difficult people.

Ah ha, I see, I been approaching things wrong way this whole time. I typically go, "Hey, what the fuck dude, do you have an insurance?" Next time I'll ask their well being first then I'll go bat shit crazy on them.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

A few weeks ago it was raining just a little bit and a woman rear-ended me while I was stopped at a red light. I set the parking brake, got out of the car, and you know what the first thing I said to her was ? "Hey, are you okay?"

If you and your elk wouldn't go encouraging women to rear-end people at stop lights . . .

TomWatson

***This might come as a surprise to you. But in Germany everybody can own a weapon. No permit necessary, no paperwork, nothing! Unlike here in the US.

mpohl

mpohl

I'd suggest you search German Law servers in German!

Are you claiming that a government license is not required to own a gun in Germany?
Once again, that seems to be incorrect:
See: http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/germany.php

I'm providing reference sources for my position. How about you doing the same for yours?

Oh, and you didn't address the second part of my response about free speech...

lawrocket

Yet husband of Gabby Giffords and astronaut Mark Kelly couldn't get one. ;)

seems to me that was because he was trying to buy the gun for someone else, not for himself to use...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone