PhreeZone

ISIS - What are their goals and motivation

Really great - but long - read on more of the background of the issues in Syria and Iraq right now and some of the insights into how to bring it to an end are interesting. Of note is that dragging the US into their holy war with ground troops is part of their plan. Religious driven wars are generational in length and wins/losses are hard to judge.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=SFFB
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

Really great - but long - read on more of the background of the issues in Syria and Iraq right now and some of the insights into how to bring it to an end are interesting. Of note is that dragging the US into their holy war with ground troops is part of their plan. Religious driven wars are generational in length and wins/losses are hard to judge.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=SFFB

Very interesting read so far. A long article and I only read about 1/5 of it...will try finishing tomorrow.

It's getting real now that they're on the doorstep of Europe...

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I think the tone of the article is mostly portraying the situation in terms of religion and apocalypse, but even within the article it does mention the power struggle between the ruler's faction (Sunni) as opposed to the oppressed faction (Shia). I personally believe this is THE main cause of the problems in the Middle East and the main reason groups like Al Qaida, Al Qaida in Yemen and ISIS are so set against the US; we help prop up oppressive governments.

I feel the vast majority of Americans as well as a good portion of the EU have been mislead about a number of things regarding the Middle East in this regard. That "they" do have a point and it's not quite as simplistic as our governments have made things out to be and our media (left, right, or center) has been willing to explain.

I'm not saying the terror groups are right in how they are attempting to make changes, but simply they do in fact have good reasons to hate America and the EU.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

I think the tone of the article is mostly portraying the situation in terms of religion and apocalypse, but even within the article it does mention the power struggle between the ruler's faction (Sunni) as opposed to the oppressed faction (Shia). I personally believe this is THE main cause of the problems in the Middle East and the main reason groups like Al Qaida, Al Qaida in Yemen and ISIS are so set against the US; we help prop up oppressive governments.

I feel the vast majority of Americans as well as a good portion of the EU have been mislead about a number of things regarding the Middle East in this regard. That "they" do have a point and it's not quite as simplistic as our governments have made things out to be and our media (left, right, or center) has been willing to explain.

I'm not saying the terror groups are right in how they are attempting to make changes, but simply they do in fact have good reasons to hate America and the EU.

Wow really? Good reason? your not Muslim or the right Muslim so you must die. You believe they have good reason for that? WOW. If I had little respect for you before I have absolutely none know

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

Wow really? Good reason? your not Muslim or the right Muslim so you must die. You believe they have good reason for that? WOW. If I had little respect for you before I have absolutely none know

How much do you "respect" people from our own civil war era?

I am nearly certain from their perspective, this is about far more than simply being the right type of Muslim. While their leaders might even use that as a convenient rallying cry, it's about who is in control of whose destiny.

We in the US went to war over much the same type of thing (regardless over whether one believes it was over slavery or "state's rights" depending on which side you happen to be on and what your ancestors did during it).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

catfishhunter

***I think the tone of the article is mostly portraying the situation in terms of religion and apocalypse, but even within the article it does mention the power struggle between the ruler's faction (Sunni) as opposed to the oppressed faction (Shia). I personally believe this is THE main cause of the problems in the Middle East and the main reason groups like Al Qaida, Al Qaida in Yemen and ISIS are so set against the US; we help prop up oppressive governments.

Look, the average Muslim is probably like the average Christian. They keep to themselves and go about their business in life. ISIS is all about radical Islam and their perverted interpretation of the Koran. All non-believers or Muslims that don't follow THEIR rules, in THEIR eyes, should die or get out. What they have done lately, killing other Muslims and the Coptic Christians in the most barbaric ways, have outraged most Muslim/Arabic nations already.

ISIS has to go. They need to be wiped off the face of the earth, or at least isolated where they can't threaten anybody else. They have gone way too far. Fuck em.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

ISIS has to go. They need to be wiped off the face of the earth, or at least isolated where they can't threaten anybody else. They have gone way too far. Fuck em.

Nah! - If Facebook is an accredited and unbiased source of accurate news, then I'm pretty sure ISIS's goals and motivations are to just find good jobs...

:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

jclalor

The vast majority of Americans Haven't a clue about the Middle East, they wouldn't know the difference from a Sunni, Shia, or a Sikh.

In the thread about police brutality in Alabama, the victim was a man from India, wearing a turban. The in-bred genius who called it into the police described him as "a skinny black guy wearing a toboggan."

lawrocket

***The vast majority of Americans Haven't a clue about the Middle East, they wouldn't know the difference from a Sunni, Shia, or a Sikh.

Most Americans don't know the difference between Christian denominations, either.

That's what we have the Irish for.

BillyVance

ISIS is all about radical Islam and their perverted interpretation of the Koran. All non-believers or Muslims that don't follow THEIR rules, in THEIR eyes, should die or get out.

More like a literal rather than perverted interpretation of the Quran. That's the gist of this very long and insightful article, without any direct quotes from the "holy" book -- ISIS adherents practice a very strict and literal interpretation of the life of the prophet.

A few examples:

Surah 4 verse 56

Surah 8 verse 60

Surah 47 verse 4

I know there aren't many Muslim posters on these boards, but to the extent there are, I am very open to hearing the spiritual, non-literal interpretations of these verses. Honestly.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Andy9o8

******The vast majority of Americans Haven't a clue about the Middle East, they wouldn't know the difference from a Sunni, Shia, or a Sikh.

Most Americans don't know the difference between Christian denominations, either.

That's what we have the Irish for.

In a lot of cases 'religion' is simply an identifier for ethnicity.

Indigenous bog-trotter = Catholic

Imported Scots foreman type = Presbyterian

English land owner = Anglican

"So, what's your religion?"

"I'm an Atheist."

"Would that be a Catholic Atheist Protestant Atheist?"

>ISIS adherents practice a very strict and literal interpretation of the life of the prophet.

>A few examples:

Some interesting examples from the Bible:

Leviticus 20:13
Genesis 9:5
1 Samuel 15

Interesting quote from the last one:

"Then Samuel said, “Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me.” So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, “Surely the bitterness of death is past.” But Samuel said, “As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women.” And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the Lord in Gilgal."

Enemy king trying to make peace hacked to pieces "before the Lord."

Following either book literally would be a mistake.

billvon

>ISIS adherents practice a very strict and literal interpretation of the life of the prophet.

>A few examples:

1 Samuel 15

"Then Samuel said, “Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me.” So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, “Surely the bitterness of death is past.” But Samuel said, “As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women.” And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the Lord in Gilgal."

Nothing beats Psalms 137:9

"Happy is he who smashes the Heads of babies against the rocks"

And Christians will tell me that I'm taking it all out of context.

jclalor

***>ISIS adherents practice a very strict and literal interpretation of the life of the prophet.

>A few examples:

1 Samuel 15

The difference being that there isn't a large group of christians forcing people to live according to a literal interpretation of the old testament.

>Nothing beats Psalms 137:9

Isaiah comes pretty close:

See, the day of the Lord is coming, a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger—
to make the land desolate and destroy the sinners within it.. . .

I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins.
I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless.
I will make people scarcer than pure gold, more rare than the gold of Ophir. . .

Whoever is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword.
Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated.

SkyDekker

******>ISIS adherents practice a very strict and literal interpretation of the life of the prophet.

>A few examples:

1 Samuel 15

The difference being that there isn't a large group of christians forcing people to live according to a literal interpretation of the old testament.

Yet.

PhreeZone

For being almost a year old, I think this is about as good of an explanation as you're going to find In 5 minutes.

(It's even animated)

I did enjoy you link.

http://youtu.be/AQPlREDW-Ro

lawrocket

There's a discussion on another thread. I am bumping this in he hopes that more people read it.

I just realized this was the same article as the other thread.

Someone had posted a lengthy article on the roots of ISIS leadership a couple months back, it was a great article , I thought this was the same article.

The other article was a link in response to a thread, I would love to read that article again, who ever posted the earlier one, feel free to repost the link, I can't find it.

This article in this thread is fascinating, a bit scary and a bit of a long read, almost an hour, but well worth the time invested.

I can only think if Ron were of a different religion, he would be making his way south out of Istanbul towards the Syrian border.

I took a flight to Munich then to Isatanbul in 2006 and then finally to Gaziantep Turkey, I took a cab from Gaziantep to Aleppo. Perhaps the greatest adventure of my life. I often think about the wonderful people I had the chance to meet, while in Syria for a couple of weeks.

Lost of good stories, being detainedat at the Lebanese-Syrian border for 8 hours, it then got a bit bit scary when the sun set.

I would go again in a second if it were safe, I get nervous trying to find the exact route thatI took.