JohnnyMarko

If you could change ONE thing about the US

JohnnyMarko

what would it be?

I'd like to see political parties disappear

Complete refresh of all legislation. Anything that doesn't impinge on the life, liberty or property of a nonconsenting entity no longer has laws against it. Tax code is dramatically simplified. All the pork barrel bullshit is gone. Civil liberties are protected. PATRIOT and MCA are struck from the books, etc etc.
cavete terrae.

JohnnyMarko

What're your thoughts on blue cheese?

Love it. But I'm a blue cheese snob. Sometimes I spell it "bleu cheese" or call it "Roquefort" just to piss people off. Big chunks are mandatory. And if you water down my blue cheese, I will go all Chapel Hill atheist whose parking space got taken by Muslims on you.

When I'm with people who order chicken wings, and the waitress asks 'ranch or blue cheese?', and they say ranch, I smack them in the face

I will pay you 5 bucks for every such person you smack.

Andy9o8

***What're your thoughts on blue cheese?

Love it. But I'm a blue cheese snob. Sometimes I spell it "bleu cheese" or call it "Roquefort" just to piss people off. Big chunks are mandatory. And if you water down my blue cheese, I will go all Chapel Hill atheist whose parking space got taken by Muslims on you.

When I'm with people who order chicken wings, and the waitress asks 'ranch or blue cheese?', and they say ranch, I smack them in the face

I will pay you 5 bucks for every such person you smack.
:D

The watered down shit isn't my favorite, but I have to admit to using it at restaurants that don't have chunks.

When I do wings at home, I top them with bleu cheese chunks instead of dipping it in jarred BS...

Also, fell off my seat when I read the Chapel Hill comment

masterblaster72

Less obsession with the damn television.

That's a very very good one. It's a love/hate relationship...love it for live sports, hate it cause it's always on at our house with garbage shows filling the voids between games.

I got lucky growing up. My parents never let me play video games or watch TV for more than like 30 mins a day, never had a TV in my room, didn't have a phone til I bought a car...It was either play outside or read a book.

JohnnyMarko

Less obsession with the damn television.

That's a very very good one. It's a love/hate relationship...love it for live sports, hate it cause it's always on at our house with garbage shows filling the voids between games.

I got lucky growing up. My parents never let me play video games or watch TV for more than like 30 mins a day, never had a TV in my room, didn't have a phone til I bought a car...It was either play outside or read a book.

We've got a really great TV with a great sound system that gets used for about 4 hours a week. :D
cavete terrae.

JohnnyMarko

We were all lucky when I grew up; no computers, no wireless phones, no video games. I didn't have a phone (if you mean a cell phone) until about 28 years after I got out of grad school (which is when I bought my first car), and rarely watched TV when I was a kid. That said, I'm pretty addicted to streamed video lately, where you can binge watch an entire series in a couple of days.

JohnnyMarko

What're your thoughts on blue cheese?

"Marie's Super Blue Cheese" w/ homemade wings

so good

Every couple of hundred feet there needs to be a tap that gives off chocolate/caramel shakes and sundaes.

and all car horns need to play La Cucaracha

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

JohnnyMarko

what would it be?

Complete separation between branches of government in the sense that someone who is a member of the Bar is Judicial Branch for life.

Members of the Bar may not hold elective office in the Executive or Legislative branches. Those who practice the law are forbidden to write or enforce laws.

A drop in the bucket, but it's a start.

winsor

***what would it be?

Complete separation between branches of government in the sense that someone who is a member of the Bar is Judicial Branch for life.

Members of the Bar may not hold elective office in the Executive or Legislative branches. Those who practice the law are forbidden to write or enforce laws.

:|

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Cheers_cast_1991.jpg

Hey! While we're at it: from now on, space flight mission checklists may no longer be written by engineers. Only by lawyers.

Flight Director: EECOM, give me a reading on fuel cell A.

EECOM: Roger that, Flight; but you'll have to sign this release first.

winsor

***what would it be?

I'd add term limits to all elected positions in the US Senate and House of Representatives. Nobody should be a career politician. Also, put them on the same benefits, health plans, etc as the rest of us usually do. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One thing?

Make ALL public statements made by politicians (elected officials and appointees) carry the same weight as being under oath for the purposes of perjury.

Why they're allowed, BY LAW, to lie to us is ridiculous.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

JohnnyMarko

***I'd like to see everyone take pride in doing their job well.

I like that one...

Thread de-rail, but what do you all think of my generation (call it...25-30) in terms of our work ethic?

I'd call it about the same as any other. Some are amazing, some are really good, some are so-so, some are pretty bad, some are really shit.

Anyone who thinks that the "Kids Today" are that different from the kids of (insert any time period here) is either fooling themselves about how bad the kids today are, or (more likely) fooling themselves about great the kids were from that time period.

A lot of things change, technology mostly, but people don't. Not that I've seen anyway.

And I like the idea of holding politicians accountable for their work. Either make what they say on the legislative floor subject to oath (and penalties for perjury) or base their pay on what they accomplish.

We had a recent proposal from the governor about drug testing welfare and unemployment recipients.
My comment was (and is) test the gov, legislators, and their entire staff. After all, they receive public money, just like the welfare people, don't they?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Anyone who thinks that the "Kids Today" are that different from the kids of (insert any time period here) is either fooling themselves about how bad the kids today are, or (more likely) fooling themselves about great the kids were from that time period.

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates - (469 – 399 BC)