Darius11

Atheist kills Muslim family because of his beliefs, Location, Or maybe he is just a crazy person??

Also, for anyone who thinks atheists' belief system (or lack of an organized one) means we think it's ok for us to kill people?

I don't believe in an afterlife, so no, I don't think I'd go to hell for ending someone's life. I do, however, cherish the life of the individual even more because of that belief. I don't think people who died of cancer went to a better place. I don't think people who were tortured will be repaid by some god that will take care of them because they suffered. I don't think that evil people will suffer in hell and that we should be sending them there as quickly as possible.

Because of the above, I believe that we need to make the most of our time among the living, and to take that chance away from someone… ugh. Never impinge on the life, liberty or property of another without their consent. It's not that hard.
cavete terrae.

grue

Now, I don't know if he did this because of his beliefs because 1. I haven't read the articles, and 2. We can't really know what was going in his head anyway.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A long-running parking dispute between neighbors motivated a man to kill a woman, her husband and her sister at a quiet condominium complex near the University of North Carolina campus, police said Wednesday.

Beyond the parking arguments, police didn't comment further on the motivation or details of the crime
; Boston Herald (and other sources).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Now, I don't know if he did this because of his beliefs because 1. I haven't read the articles, and 2. We can't really know what was going in his head anyway.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — A long-running parking dispute between neighbors motivated a man to kill a woman, her husband and her sister at a quiet condominium complex near the University of North Carolina campus, police said Wednesday.

Beyond the parking arguments, police didn't comment further on the motivation or details of the crime
; Boston Herald (and other sources).

If true, then we can file under "shitty people doing shitty things". Just like many (most? I can't know) crimes where the alleged perpetrator is called out for being muslim, or black, or whatever.
cavete terrae.

grue

*** Get atheists out of government

We're already the only belief class that can't hold public office in several US states. I don't think I'm even eligible for jury duty in one or two states.

you realize my entire post was tongue in cheek and illustrative of points that people make about religion too

I think most of this is just people being people

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Clearly all atheists need to be eliminated.

Exactly.

"If atheists want us to believe that they aren't all murderers, why don't they start by policing their own kind?"

"I have nothing against atheists, but until they abandon their violent ways, they're going to get treated as the violent thugs they are."

"They want to implement Atheist Law in the US!"

"Atheists and their ilk . . . ."

Darius11

***My post #8 asks you to provide a source to the "he literally said" assertion you make in your post #4. You either have it or you don't.

Hicks described himself as an "anti-theist" and criticized religions online

He posted on his facebook and social media that's not enough??

It's not enough - because what he said in those posts is not what you said he said.

What Andy is getting at is that the parallel you are trying to draw between him and muslim criminals won't be very persuasive if you are distorting the facts in order to accentuate that parallel.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>Clearly all atheists need to be eliminated.

You know who else was an atheist? Satan
or Santa
maybe Hitler

anyway....one them them

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

****** Get atheists out of government

We're already the only belief class that can't hold public office in several US states. I don't think I'm even eligible for jury duty in one or two states.

you realize my entire post was tongue in cheek and illustrative of points that people make about religion too

I know, but it hits on a sore point for me. Not that I'd ever live in any of those states, or run for public office anyway, but the fact that there is on-the-books legislation that bars atheists from public office in parts of the US is crazy.
cavete terrae.

Darius11

***My post #8 asks you to provide a source to the "he literally said" assertion you make in your post #4. You either have it or you don't.

Hicks described himself as an "anti-theist" and criticized religions online

He posted on his facebook and social media that's not enough??

I hate religion and hope it dies off, but that's not the same as saying I think religious people should be killed, nor should it be construed as a threat or motivation for doing anything to make it happen.

Likewise, I hate a good amount of people, and will be very happy when I hear of their passing if I outlive them, but I will not be party to making it happen.
cavete terrae.

Darius11

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/11/chapel-hill-murders_n_6660080.html

Atheist kills Muslim family because of his beliefs, or maybe its because he is from Chapel Hill.

Sad story, my view we have crazy people everywhere, but This is SC and by some logic it must be because this kid was white, Lacked faith or its because he is from Chapel hill.

as word circulated that Hicks described himself as an "anti-theist" and criticized religions online, according to The Independent. That revelation, as well as a lack of media attention to the shooting Tuesday night, reportedly ***led to a "#MuslimLivesMatte

It also seems he was a progressive liberal yet few mainstream news outlets seem to be reporting it.

Hmmmm

http://www.youngcons.com/atheist-kills-three-muslims-mainstream-media-ignoring-leftist-politics/

That's because only those within the moron class of drooling Neanderthal knuckle-draggers - by which I mean the author of that brilliantly-crafted article - would try to take that angle seriously, or expect others outside his pitiful little circle-jerk circle to do so, either.

Neighbors described Hicks as an angry, hulking figure who exploded in rage over parking spaces and noise.

”He was very disgruntled, very aggressive. He would scream at people,’’ said Samantha Maness, 25, a technical college student who lives across a parking lot from the apartments of Hicks and two of the three slain students in a housing complex of winding streets and towering loblolly pines a few miles from the University of North Carolina campus.

“He made everyone feel uncomfortable and unsafe,’’ Maness said Wednesday, speaking outside Hick’s upstairs apartment, which backs up to an adjoining apartment where two of the shooting victims lived. Flowers had been left on the lawn in front of the building.

Residents of Finley Forest apartments in Chapel Hill had been so alarmed by Hicks’ rants that they called a community meeting last year, Maness said. Residents shared stories about being confronted by Hicks, but no one mentioned the meeting to Hicks and nothing came of it, she said.

Maness said she never heard Hicks refer to anyone’s religion or race.

“He had equal opportunity anger toward all the residents," she said.

Sounds like an angry white gun owning male to me.

Yea i get what Andy is saying bro, he is on point.

My point is if it was reversed "Muslim kills family of atheist" and if at anytime he had stated he hated none believers and infidels(even on myspace;)) this would be a different story to many and they would react in a much different manner.

Whoever thinks this is just an asshole is right.
I will stand by my point, if the names were reversed this thread would have a lot more people having there usual circle jerks of hate and racism.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

“He made everyone feel uncomfortable and unsafe,’’ Maness said Wednesday, speaking outside Hick’s upstairs apartment, which backs up to an adjoining apartment where two of the shooting victims lived. Flowers had been left on the lawn in front of the building.

Residents of Finley Forest apartments in Chapel Hill had been so alarmed by Hicks’ rants that they called a community meeting last year, Maness said. Residents shared stories about being confronted by Hicks, but no one mentioned the meeting to Hicks and nothing came of it, she said.

Maness said she never heard Hicks refer to anyone’s religion or race.

“He had equal opportunity anger toward all the residents," she said.

Sounds like an angry white gun owning male to me.

Only if he had found Jesus in Time.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

You are right, So Agnostic then?

It is his lack of faith that must have lead him down the path of violence, only if he was a Jew, Christian or Muslim he would have known killing is a sin.

:|

RTFB. There are specifics whereby all these people are commanded to kill.

billvon

You leave my elk alone.

It's what us atheists have to do. We have to kill, steal, covet, bear false witness, dishonor our fathers and mothers, commit adultery, etc., etc. It's just what we do. I'm pretty sure it's written in some commandments or something. Or was it Dawkins who told me to do those things??? I forget.

Shotgun

***"Atheists and their ilk . . . ."

You leave my elk alone.

It's what us atheists have to do. We have to kill, steal, covet, bear false witness, dishonor our fathers and mothers, commit adultery, etc., etc. It's just what we do. I'm pretty sure it's written in some commandments or something. Or was it Dawkins who told me to do those things??? I forget.

Nope. Dawkins plagiarized it from Moses, who in turn plagiarized it from chapter 125 in the Egyptian book of the dead and the Code of Hammurabi.

I have to say that it does take an effort to do all those things, every day at my age, especially the adultery one:)

Shotgun

***"Atheists and their ilk . . . ."

You leave my elk alone.

It's what us atheists have to do. We have to kill, steal, covet, bear false witness, dishonor our fathers and mothers, commit adultery, etc., etc. It's just what we do.

Jesus Christ, you forgot selling FSM paraphernalia on the Sabbath. You can't just "etc. etc." that. You're demoted from elk to mule deear.

I think he was just an angry white male gun owner who couldn't control his anger over a parking dispute.

Yea...could be that simple; kind of a "Occam's Razor thing if you know what I mean.

But he's also a self described "Progressive." I guess we won't hear too much about him from CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC. FOX will probably have something on this but like the rest of them, will probably get most of the story wrong.

On the other hand, if this guy was was an avowed Conservative member of the Tea Party, the usual suspects would be howling 24/7 over this one.