BillyVance

College students' view on Democrats

My daughter is now in college. I read the school paper.

Papers used to be severely slanted left and only mocked the right. You'd (gasp) NEVER mock the left.

Today, the comics are great. They mock ALL the political parties and orientations.

Kids are smarter now. It's good to see

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Papers used to be severely slanted left and only mocked the right.

Hmm. I recall back in 1983 how our school paper did a photo thing about all the Christmas trees on campus and labeled them all "non-denominational holiday shrubs coincidentally erected near the winter break."

billvon

>Papers used to be severely slanted left and only mocked the right.

Hmm. I recall back in 1983 how our school paper did a photo thing about all the Christmas trees on campus and labeled them all "non-denominational holiday shrubs coincidentally erected near the winter break."

Hm. I suppose a more succinct "holiday erections" might have been ambiguous.

Andy9o8

***>Papers used to be severely slanted left and only mocked the right.

Hm. I suppose a more succinct "holiday erections" might have been ambiguous.

quality points for both offerings though

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Boomerdog

Kids are smarter now. It's good to see

Wait till they see all the taxes taken out of their paycheck and their take-home pay isn't what they thought it would be. That's when wisdom starts to set in.

My daughter is finding this one out right now.

How is that any different from, say, Eisenhower's time? Or Nixon's?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Boomerdog

Wait till they see all the taxes taken out of their paycheck and their take-home pay isn't what they thought it would be. That's when wisdom starts to set in.

Thats got nothing to do with politics - that's just youthful naivete!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

That reminds me of this:

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself a very liberal Democrat and was very much in favor of redistribution of wealth. She was ashamed that her father was a staunch Republican.

Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes and the addition of more government welfare programs. He responded by asking her how she was doing in school. She answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, with no time to go out and party like other students. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend. Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?" She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA She is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.

"Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree! She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled and said gently, "Welcome to the Republican Party"
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

That reminds me of this:

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself a very liberal Democrat and was very much in favor of redistribution of wealth. She was ashamed that her father was a staunch Republican.

Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes and the addition of more government welfare programs. He responded by asking her how she was doing in school. She answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, with no time to go out and party like other students. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend. Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?" She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA She is so popular on campus, college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.

"Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your 4.0 GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree! She played while I worked my tail off!"

And speaking of naivete - you are a fine example.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

How is that any different from, say, Eisenhower's time? Or Nixon's?

Gee, they had Facebook back then? I don't think so!

Still got your head and other body parts still stuck in the 50's and 60's and 70's?

Oh that was so so long ago! Gotta get hip to the times!

DanG

Not even worth the time explaining why you don't get it.

My 2nd grade teacher (Ms. Claybaugh) taught me a valuable lesson:

If you can't explain it in a few simple words, you don't understand it yourself.

She obviously didn't understand the complexities of talking to an adult then.[:/]

Maybe the education system has improved since then . . . NOT.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

DanG

If you can't explain it in a few simple words, you don't understand it yourself.

More on this.

Trying to explain to the willfully ignorant takes more time than and more effort than there is time or effort to spend.

So, in this case your anecdote is false.

turtlespeed

More on this.

Trying to explain to the willfully ignorant takes more time than and more effort than there is time or effort to spend.

No wonder why have to spend so much time on you.

SkyDekker

More on this.

Was that English, or did your comment just backfire?

'Cuz, that wasn't very intelligible.[:/]

turtlespeed

More on this.

Was that English, or did your comment just backfire?

'Cuz, that wasn't very intelligible.[:/]

Lol it was indeed poorly written. But pretty understandable for the non-willfully ignorant. See, now we have to spend more time on you again....

turtlespeed

That reminds me of this:

A liberal Muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, a known atheist.

"Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!"

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

"How old is this rock?"

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied "4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian"

"Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now"

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the "poor" (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named "Small Government" flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi