RonD1120

Christian "high horse"

More christian murders have happened in the name of god than have or will ever have atheists murdering in the name of no religion.
:S:S:S

I love how christians don't get it. Refusing anything except this "word of god" bs. Selectively, of course. While wearing polyester!

A quick google search didn't return a SINGLE massive historic movement by atheists to eliminate christians from the planet. Odd how many results I get if I switch those two around.

danornan

ALL superstition is wrong... Doesn't matter how you label it.

ALL?

Some people won't walk under ladders or put a number "13" on their house. While silly, those seem pretty harmless to me.

OTOH superstitions that encourage believers to harm others are clearly wrong.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

A quick google search didn't return a SINGLE massive historic movement by atheists to eliminate christians from the planet.

Well now that you've exhausted the wealth of knowledge on first page google results, perhaps you are ready to graduate to wiki:

For beginners:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Soviet_Union
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

normiss

the Russians were trying to eliminate RELIGION, not christians.
Not by atheists.

Mark, that's similar to saying that it wasn't the Nazis who were killing Jews, it was the Germans...or that it wasn't the Catholics who started the inquisition, it was the Romans.

Do you see how stupid that argument sounds?

normiss

I missed the part where we were comparing political murders.

There always seems to be some type of politics involved in these types of conflicts. "The Troubles" could be viewed as religious murders/war, but that conflict was primarily political.

Even in the mideast conflicts seem to revolve around power, control, land, resources and overall political discontent...religion is just being used as an excuse to justify self-serving behavior.

Ultimately, I think comparing which side has committed more murder is an exercise in futility. Today, if you are either a theist or atheist, the likely hood is that you don't subscribe to an ideology of killing others who share different views, so if someone says that atheists killed all these people or that christians killed all these people, it's of little impact because we don't relate to that kind of behavior.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

What he probably means is that atheism wasn't the motivating factor in religious purges, but that they were politically motivated in removing any competition to the total authority of Marxism-Leninism / Stalinism. Let's face it, Soviet purges were hardly limited to religion.

Of course, this means that atheism isn't a barrier to genocide and a predominantly atheist society wouldn't automatically be a utopia - luckily though no-one is claiming that there's a book of atheism which is the font of all morality.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

- luckily though no-one is claiming that there's a book of atheism which is the font of all morality.

No, just tons of posts that state how much better the world would be if only religion was eradicated. Maybe we could collect a book of them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants