airdvr

Brian pulls a Hillary

NBC's Brian Williams recants Iraq attack story
http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/media/brian-williams-recants-iraq-story/index.html

I have to wonder whether it's a memory thing or a failed attempt to gain credibility. Being shot at in a war zone isn't something I would think you'd mis-remember.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

NBC's Brian Williams recants Iraq attack story
http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/04/media/brian-williams-recants-iraq-story/index.html

I have to wonder whether it's a memory thing or a failed attempt to gain credibility. Being shot at in a war zone isn't something I would think you'd mis-remember.

He should resign, what an asshole.

Gravitymaster

******This now qualifies him to become Secretary of States.

Which particular states?

Since that was a statement from Obama, in praise of Hillary,
we can only assume he meant the 57 States.

There are 58, he has been to 57 and he had one to go.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Gravitymaster

Umm, lets see. Hillary lies about a war place incident and becomes Secretary of States. John Kerry lies about his war experience and becomes Secretary of States. I'd say there is a good chance Brian Williams will be our next Secretary of States.

I see. Even I was hoping it was just a typo.

Andy9o8

***Umm, lets see. Hillary lies about a war place incident and becomes Secretary of States. John Kerry lies about his war experience and becomes Secretary of States. I'd say there is a good chance Brian Williams will be our next Secretary of States.

No, that's how he referred to her in a 60 Minutes interview.

Gravitymaster

***Or President!

I mean, for the most part GWB lied about serving in the Texas Air National Guard.

I don't recall GWB going into a war zone and claiming he was shot at, or exaggerating what actually happened.

of course he never claimed to be in a war zone....
because he was " a chickenshit " but a chickenshit WITH connections and even then he had a tough time to meet his responsibilities WITH the national guard.... UNLESS there was a camera somewhere....Then he was all smiles... ( or should I say, All that Dopey grin ) He DID however declare MISSION accomplished... and we all Know how bad THAT turned out..

as for B Williams... BIG mistake... I guess now he qualifies to be a candidate for POTUS........[:/]
deceit is a far different thing,, Than "mis-remembering "....:|

Gravitymaster

***Or President!

I mean, for the most part GWB lied about serving in the Texas Air National Guard.

I don't recall GWB going into a war zone and claiming he was shot at, or exaggerating what actually happened.

I seem to recall GWB pulling all the strings he could to stay out of Vietnam. Same with Cheney.

GWB spent his service time defending Alabama from attack by the Viet Cong. Rather like Reagan spent WWII defending Culver City movie studios from Japanese attack.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Gravitymaster

******Umm, lets see. Hillary lies about a war place incident and becomes Secretary of States. John Kerry lies about his war experience and becomes Secretary of States. I'd say there is a good chance Brian Williams will be our next Secretary of States.

No, that's how he referred to her in a 60 Minutes interview.

You're unconvincing. The reference in the interview was to the plural of "Secretary of State". Although the correct way to say it is "Secretaries of State" (similar to "Attorneys General", not "Attorney Generals"), the plural is often mis-grammaticized at "Secretary of States". You, on the other hand, were speaking in the singular; so once again, you get an F in Social Studies.

This is what I love about all the ADHD addled liberals on this page. Carry on.

Unfortunately, ADHD is an equal opportunity disorder for both sides of the aisle...but I digress.

Once again, a case of Stolen Valor. Not illegal (under some legal conditions pointed out here on another thread) but that doesn't diminish the stink of it all. In full disclosure, I was never shot at during my time of service. I do know a few collegues who have been shot at and to them it's a stark knowledge of "either/or." Williams would have known if the chopper had been shot at as he would have seen it or the pilot or other aircrew members would (with a very high degree of probability) ascertained it. An RPG shot? Most likely that shot would have been seen...or felt.

The periodic lies and scandals notwithstanding, tall tales such as this one, even in the military once disproven are going to get the member branded a liar and news travels fast. To engage in or abet such a lie is an act of dishonor and disrespect to those who have survived their wounds; are among us to remind us, and those KIA.

What should be done with Brian Williams? NOTHING IMHO. Let him stay on the tube and be viewed by many for the fraud that he is. Perhaps the dwindling ratings and time will solve the problem. But then I don't watch any of the newtork news. It's puropse was then and is now, not to inform but develop and provide stories based on a few fundamental facts (we hope) selling air time to advertsers at prices based upon what the Nielsens report as the size of their viewers.

ADHD is an equal opportunity disorder for both sides of the aisle...but I digress.

:|

Hm?

What should be done with Brian Williams?

Well, let's see. He's 55 now, and Google-fu reflects his net worth at around $40 mil. So he, and if he chooses, his kids, are well set for life. In my perfect fantasy world, he should divest himself of every asset he's accumulated since 2003. But since that won't happen, then as far as I'm concerned, he should just take all his assets and go away. I don't care where, just go away.

Williams would have known if the chopper had been shot at as he would have seen it or the pilot or other aircrew members would (with a very high degree of probability) ascertained it. An RPG shot? Most likely that shot would have been seen...or felt.

Not commenting specifically on Williams' story, but if you've every been in the back of a cargo aircraft (helicopter or fixed wing) you'l know this is not true. It's loud, shaky, and dark. Unless they were actually hit, the cargo (breathing or not) would likely never have any idea of what was going on outside.

- Dan G

... but if you've every been in the back of a cargo aircraft (helicopter or fixed wing) you'l know this is not true. It's loud, shaky, and dark.

Been in both enough times to understand the situation. Procedures I'm familiar with in hostile and potentially hostile regions requires an intelligence brief, aircrew spotters, observers. I don't diagree but I'm talking in probabilities here. Even in a potenial high threat area, awareness is heightened.

Been in both enough times to understand the situation. Procedures I'm familiar with in hostile and potentially hostile regions requires an intelligence brief, aircrew spotters, observers. I don't diagree but I'm talking in probabilities here. Even in a potenial high threat area, awareness is heightened.

Absolutely true for the air crew. Not so much for the passengers, especially the civilians. Hell, I was on a Blackhawk in Afghanistan when the crew decided to do a test fire of the door guns. They didn't bother mentioning this to any of us, they just started shooting. When everyone started getting ready to throw down, they let us know we weren't under fire.

- Dan G