jclalor

American Sniper

regulator

If that movie is your favorite, there is no need debating this movie any more with you.

Your taste obviously sucks ass. You probably enjoy michael moore movies.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is an extremely good film. But you don't need to take my word for it - Metacritic has it at 88% (universal acclaim) and it has gained 9 Oscar nominations including Best Film, Director and Original Screenplay, which is extremely rare for a comedy. Even if you didn't personally like it, if you don't think it's a highly accomplished film then you are clearly illiterate in the language of cinema.

(Btw, American Sniper's metacritic? 72%. Metacritic' user ratings favour Grand Budapest by almost exactly the same amount, Rotten Tomatoes goes significantly further in Wes Anderson's favour. Boy did you just pick the wrong fight!)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

What I find fascinating, is the inability of these who were against the war to separate the actions of a man who fought in the war. Certainly I support your distain for the war and how we got there - but why work so hard to marginalize the man? It seems almost pathological for some to point out the his failings.

War is ugly. The point generally is to kill the enemy. He apparently was very good at it.

Chris Kyle didn't always tell the truth, Dr. King was not always the straightest married man apparently, but BOTH were tremendous men in their on right. (King of course had a much larger impact)

The idea that we much beat down "hero's" of the right or left is sad.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

What I find fascinating, is the inability of these who were against the war to separate the actions of a man who fought in the war. Certainly I support your distain for the war and how we got there - but why work so hard to marginalize the man? It seems almost pathological for some to point out the his failings.

War is ugly. The point generally is to kill the enemy. He apparently was very good at it.

Chris Kyle didn't always tell the truth, Dr. King was not always the straightest married man apparently, but BOTH were tremendous men in their on right. (King of course had a much larger impact)

The idea that we much beat down "hero's" of the right or left is sad.

There is a big difference between a Hollywood movie and the actual man. Not liking the movie says nothing about the man. They are just completely seperate issues.

i saw the movie over the weekend... while in line an older gentleman says, " I have not been to a movie in 2 years... I'm just hear to piss off the liberals."

I wouldn't consider myself far right or left but this made me laugh

tred

i saw the movie over the weekend... while in line an older gentleman says, " I have not been to a movie in 2 years... I'm just hear to piss off the liberals."

I wouldn't consider myself far right or left but this made me laugh

:D

Ill bet it has been over 7 years for me and i am going for the same reason:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ya know, liberals have watched it too. Just on this thread, jclalor and skydekker have both watched it. Both of whom are by your standards liberal, I have a feeling.

If you guys are watching a movie just to piss off the liberals (including all those Hollywood liberals who made the movie), doesn't that mean the liberals have won? After all, "they" are the reason you're watching it :)

Watch the movie for its story merits, its performance merits, or whatever merits the movie has. Not because you think it might piss someone else off -- that's just childish. This liberal will probably watch it.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Ya know, liberals have watched it too. Just on this thread, jclalor and skydekker have both watched it. Both of whom are by your standards liberal, I have a feeling.

If you guys are watching a movie just to piss off the liberals (including all those Hollywood liberals who made the movie), doesn't that mean the liberals have won? After all, "they" are the reason you're watching it :)

Watch the movie for its story merits, its performance merits, or whatever merits the movie has. Not because you think it might piss someone else off -- that's just childish. This liberal will probably watch it.

Wendy P.

a conservative didn't post this thread to make a political point now did they?
Abraham Lincoln

What else was the comment about pissing off a liberal, but a political comment?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To no one in particular, all a critic does in ripping a movie for its merits is make more people want to go see it for themselves, thus defeating the critic's motive.

I'd say the movie's doing quite well, thanks to those who bashed it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The interesting thing is that it's been widely praised; its Rotten Tomatoes rating is 72% good -- that's pretty positive. People who are hearing only bashing are looking for bashing. And even the bashes are generally not political -- they're talking blandness of script, that it's not even better than it is, etc.

A critic's job is to review movies for their merits. Siskel and Ebert HATED "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." They're almost alone in that (89% positive), but that doesn't make them wrong. It's about taste.

Wendy P.

Didn't watch the movie, read the book.

The book is a very black and white, one sided view of things. As expected from a guy who killed the "Savages" BTW Any person tan , or that was different then what he viewed as normal was referred to by him as "Savages". LOL i don't know but that was funny to me. Imaging some Texan killing them savages like Jesus wanted. Like a bad fucking movie:D

I liked it! the stories are interesting to me, and it was a fun, at times for the wrong reasons, but good book.

I find so much absolute ignorance in his mentality, i understand a difference in opinion but he showed what most red necks show a lack of perspective in a lot of his views.

One part in the book he says with 100% certainty that he didn't care about the Iraqis he knew all they wanted to do was kill Americans they all hated Americans.
I know he was a smart guy i know he had honor and more balls then most, but the inability to grasp that people will hate whom ever kills them or invades them just made me shake my head. He couldn't understand a lot of the horrendous behavior is from desperation. We don't exactly act all civilized when the power goes out! let alone war and seeing loved ones ripped apart.

MY conclusion from book:
I hate the fucking propaganda machines who brain wash some of the best of our people (on Earth) to kill and die for lies.
So much wasted energy and talent.:(

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

BillyVance

To no one in particular, all a critic does in ripping a movie for its merits is make more people want to go see it for themselves, thus defeating the critic's motive.

Huh? What are the movies merits, in your opinion, and which critics bashed it because of those merits?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Darius11

"Savages" BTW Any person tan , or that was different then what he viewed as normal was referred to by him as "Savages". LOL
he showed what most red necks show

So here's the process, take specific people that injure you or offend you, tag a label to them and then add that label to a huge grop. Spread the hate for the individuals liberally over that huge group. Now you hate everybody in the group including those that never did anything wrong. Just a recipe for the stupid chain of resentment and anger that comes from dehumanizing each other.

people will hate whom ever kills them or invades them just made me shake my head. He couldn't understand a lot of the horrendous behavior is from desperation. We don't exactly act all civilized when the power goes out! let alone war and seeing loved ones ripped apart.

this is real, I appreciate this comment a lot, D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Saw the movie over the weekend. Bradley Cooper should get all the credit for the movie being any good at all. The directing and writing was pretty standard.

I agree with the New Yorker review (those liberal bastards praised the movie quite highly!) that it was both a devastating pro-war movie, and a devastating anti-war movie.

It's worth a watch, but it ain't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For the knee jerkers, please note I'm talking only about the movie, not Chris Kyle the human being.

- Dan G

***Saw the movie over the weekend. Bradley Cooper should get all the credit for the movie being any good at all. The directing and writing was pretty standard.

I agree with the New Yorker review (those liberal bastards praised the movie quite highly!) that it was both a devastating pro-war movie, and a devastating anti-war movie.

It's worth a watch, but it ain't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For the knee jerkers, please note I'm talking only about the movie, not Chris Kyle the human being.[/quote

Nice review
Thanks
Abraham Lincoln

wmw999

What else was the comment about pissing off a liberal, but a political comment?

Wendy P.

I made the initial comment about pissing off a liberal but it was quoting a man in line at the theatre. the point of my post was that I found it funny that he was there just too piss off the liberals, if you picture an 80+ year old grumpy guy saying this its kinda funny

I did not go see it for that reason but because I had nothing better to do.

as I said earlier im pretty neutral I have liberal views and conservative views I just find the extremists on either side amusing and this old man was one of them

There is a big difference between a Hollywood movie and the actual man. Not liking the movie says nothing about the man. They are just completely seperate issues.

Yep, I agree. Do you want me to go through this thread and pick out the negative comments about the man?
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

wmw999

Wendy P.

including all those Hollywood liberals who made the movie),

You're calling Clint Eastwood a liberal?

Clint Eastwood a liberal?

He probably had some help :)
Wendy P.

This thread cracks me up. The notion this film has a political agenda attached to it is, hilarious. I don't know what pill popping radio blowholes people listen to, but that was absolutely not the reason this film got made.

Geebus. Listening to you guys talk about film is like watching cats talk about pudding.

Exactly what pro-right or pro-left agenda does anyone -think- this film has attached to it? Pro-war? Hardly! Anti-war? Nope.

Hint: It's about PTSD. It's not pro-PTSD. It's about the suffering one guy goes through and if the audience can relate to that hopefully they can relate to an entire class of individuals suffering from it. That's not right or left; it's simply human.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

This thread cracks me up. The notion this film has a political agenda attached to it is, hilarious. I don't know what pill popping radio blowholes people listen to, but that was absolutely not the reason this film got made.

Geebus. Listening to you guys talk about film is like watching cats talk about pudding.

Exactly what pro-right or pro-left agenda does anyone -think- this film has attached to it? Pro-war? Hardly! Anti-war? Nope.

Hint: It's about PTSD. It's not pro-PTSD. It's about the suffering one guy goes through and if the audience can relate to that hopefully they can relate to an entire class of individuals suffering from it. That's not right or left; it's simply human.

I'm not sure where you thought I ever stated that I was on one side or the other on the politics of the film. My only point was that I thought it was odd, that a person who told such outlandish lies. (Not my opinion, but a juries) would have a biographical movie made.

I understand that the movie is about PTSD, it's also rather ironic that all those Republicans out there singing the praises of this movie, won't give a flying fuck about spending an extra penny he help our returning vets, actually they'd prefer we spend a whole lot less.

Their nothing but part of the takers, the 47%.

regulator

***And FWIW, The only reason I went to see it was because my GF talked me into it. I'm also way too critical of 90% of movies I see, I'm not surprised I disliked it. I also will admit to googling every movie I see, this is how I found out about his love of telling tall Tales.

The best movie of the year IMHO, "The Grand Budapest Hotel".

I figured it out. You're finally growing pubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8XqA7WyLI

If that movie is your favorite, there is no need debating this movie any more with you.

Your taste obviously sucks ass. You probably enjoy michael moore movies.

I have no problem admitting when people are idiots. I think the first thread I started when I joined DZ.com 7 years ago, was about Moore.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3328669;search_string=Michael%20Moore;#3328669

How about you, any mouths on the right that you don't like?

I understand that the movie is about PTSD, it's also rather ironic that all those Republicans out there singing the praises of this movie, won't give a flying fuck about spending an extra penny he help our returning vets, actually they'd prefer we spend a whole lot less.

And you know this how?