freethefly

The Book of Contradiction

billvon

>Ah - so you prefer the Koran. Gotcha

Both have some pretty good stuff in them. Wise not to take either one seriously in its entirety.

Which leaves the door wide open for some serious cherry picking.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

billvon

>Ah - so you prefer the Koran. Gotcha

Both have some pretty good stuff in them. Wise not to take either one seriously in its entirety.

And they both have some horrible stuff in them too. Wise not to take either one too seriously in the majority. I mean, I'm absolutely going to eat bacon. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ibx

Ah - so you prefer the Koran. Gotcha

If criticizing the bible make him a muslim then your defense of the bible makes you part of the Westboro baptist church.

And you being German makes you a nazi.:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And you being German makes you a nazi.

Exactly, since Andy is probably not a muslim, you are probably not part of the Westboro Baptist Church and I'm not a Nazi, your comment was pretty stupid, do you not agree?

ibx

And you being German makes you a nazi.

Exactly, since Andy is probably not a muslim, you are probably not part of the Westboro Baptist Church and I'm not a Nazi, your comment was pretty stupid, do you not agree?

No, I do not.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I do not believe in the bible as the word of some god and his kid yet, I have read it. I have understood that the whole book is flawed as it contradicts itself throughout. As the article points out, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.

Good try, but your scholarly criticism of the Bible fails miserably. The Bible as written is a mystery to most. So what. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit its illumination is a wonder to behold. Sorry
you have missed the boat. What is really fascinating is why you all give such a shit? There is no way I would waste my time on something I thought held no value.

billvon

> The Bible as written is a mystery to most.

And atheism is a complete mystery to you - yet you go on about it pretty regularly.

Why does everybody need an exact "How To" book?
Whatever happened to self help by interpretation?

maadmax

I do not believe in the bible as the word of some god and his kid yet, I have read it. I have understood that the whole book is flawed as it contradicts itself throughout. As the article points out, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.

Good try, but your scholarly criticism of the Bible fails miserably. The Bible as written is a mystery to most.

Most self-contradictory documents are a mystery.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

because some of those that want to interpret are trying to write public policy and law based on it. Which does not fall in line with the fundamentals of the country. Rational thought is required, not irrational thought. the Bible is filled with irrational thought and rational thought, hence why we are going in circles here.

The Bible says it is so.

Well here's a contradiction.

well ignore the contradiction, it's not an exact science.

but we still want to use it as a guideline.

why would you use it as a guideline if it has contradictions?

so on and so on.

"Is a little blind faith too much to ask?" yes it is when you are writing public policy.

No one is asking for an 'exact how-to book', but we sure as fuck are asking for better than the bible.....

tkhayes

because some of those that want to interpret are trying to write public policy and law based on it. Which does not fall in line with the fundamentals of the country. Rational thought is required, not irrational thought. the Bible is filled with irrational thought and rational thought, hence why we are going in circles here.

The Bible says it is so.

Well here's a contradiction.

well ignore the contradiction, it's not an exact science.

but we still want to use it as a guideline.

why would you use it as a guideline if it has contradictions?

so on and so on.

"Is a little blind faith too much to ask?" yes it is when you are writing public policy.

No one is asking for an 'exact how-to book', but we sure as fuck are asking for better than the bible.....

Who is "we"what percentage of the populace?

Who is "we"what percentage of the populace?

Not actually relevant. the majority of the population does not get to force religion or many other aspects of their beliefs onto any minority of the population.

nice try though. One of the weakest arguments that ever existed for the injection of religion into government and our ways of life. But continuously attempted by a struggling religion that apparently has such small penis syndrome that it must continuously wag its penis in everyone's face to justify how awesome it is.

if it were so awesome, it would have no problem standing on its own.

but for what it's worth, more than 20% of the population now identifies as non-religious.

The sacred 'Christianity' is still in the lead as far as popular goes, but back to the original points i made - one does not get to force their religious policies on me or anyone else. It's in the Constitution.

People can try if you like, because that is free speech, but that very attempt is also a demonstration of how little respect people have for the Constitution.