freethefly

The Book of Contradiction

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/thats-not-what-bible-says-294018.html

I do not believe in the bible as the word of some god and his kid yet, I have read it. I have understood that the whole book is flawed as it contradicts itself throughout. As the article points out, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.

And this is different tan any other day how?
and this is different from any other religion how?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Tink1717

Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.

And this is different tan any other day how?
and this is different from any other religion how?

As I stated " (as other religions do)."
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

From book of Job.

Satan Allowed to Test Job
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” 8 And the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?” 9 Then Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 10 Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.” 12 And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

These two hang out together and make bets and shit? GTFOH.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Deuteronomy 20:10-14New International Version (NIV)

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.

Does this sound like something ISIS would do???

Deuteronomy 22:24New International Version (NIV)

24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Somthing definitely ISIS would do.
:D:D:D

I love Bible. You bring me a bible quote and I'll use the same book against you.

freethefly

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/thats-not-what-bible-says-294018.html

I do not believe in the bible as the word of some god and his kid yet, I have read it. I have understood that the whole book is flawed as it contradicts itself throughout. As the article points out, Christians have a tendency to cherry pick and leave the rest out. They tend (as other religions do) to use their personal interpretation other than, what they claim to be, the inerrant word of the god they worship.

The bible is a love story, and a guide. It is actually a very insightful compilation on the human animal and its urges, instincts, and predispositions, along with a series of scenarios where the reader can realize solutions and possible betterment.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

BECAUSE you have to 'learn' how to read it....it is therefore defective as a source for anything and most certainly misleading.

The 'message' should be obvious. of course it should. if the message has to be interpreted to gain anything from it, then the message simply ain't that great, and certainly not worthy of my attention or anyone else for that matter.

The interpretations therefore will vary and so will the message, hence the conflict that religion itself creates in the name of 'god'

It should be able to stand on its own. By stating that you have to learn 'how' to read it, you are in fact supporting the original post of just how flawed it is.

Adolf Hitler...."I just have to learn how to understand him." got it.

tkhayes

BECAUSE you have to 'learn' how to read it....it is therefore defective as a source for anything and most certainly misleading.

The 'message' should be obvious. of course it should. if the message has to be interpreted to gain anything from it, then the message simply ain't that great, and certainly not worthy of my attention or anyone else for that matter.

So by your way of thinking no one should look at a Rorschach card.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I want to ask RonD, since he is the master at the subject.

Why don't Catholic church or Christian church just get rid of stupid part of bible like leviticus and deuteronomy?

It is a book written by man, and the bible has been altered through out the history. Why not just get rid of leviticus and deuteronomy so that the book doesn't sound retarded and give ammunition for atheists to have bases on Bible to attack back at devoted bible readers?

Thomas Jefferson was brilliant man. Way too far advanced for its age and time. He had the right idea of creating his own verson of bible. Although I haven't read Gospel of T. Jefferson but the idea much better than book filled with fairy tales.

Rorschach cards do not dictate peoples lives nor are they used to set public policy.

No person was ever persecuted because of the results of a Rorschach card.

No child was ever molested because of a the interpretation of a Rorschach card

No countries Constitution, Pledge of Allegiance or laws were ever changed, or Supreme Court ever ruled on something that came out of a Rorschach card

Government was never lobbied by a group asking for changes to its laws based on the interpretation of a Rorschach card

There are at least a dozen orders of magnitude of difference between the interpretation of the bible and its effects on society and the use of a Rorschach card and its effects on society.

RonD1120

Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."

True. Well, except for the parts about destroying almost all the people and animals in the deliberate deluge, the stonings, the instructions on slavery, the killing of the firstborn in Egypt, the placing of the forbidden fruit right out in the open with a neon "Do Not Touch" sign, allowing the creation of Satan, Death, Famine, Pestilence, War...

Yep, definitely loving.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Let's even take a look at new testaments.

The Boy Jesus at the Temple
41 Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover. 42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the festival, according to the custom. 43 After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day.

What a exemplary parents. Leaves the boy behind for a day and they "thought" that they had kid with them the whole time. I guess they were busy texting.

kallend

***Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."

True. Well, except for the parts about destroying almost all the people and animals in the deliberate deluge, the stonings, the instructions on slavery, the killing of the firstborn in Egypt, the placing of the forbidden fruit right out in the open with a neon "Do Not Touch" sign, allowing the creation of Satan, Death, Famine, Pestilence, War...

Yep, definitely loving.

Well, see Professor, you obviously don't know how to read it.

"Knowing how" may mean that you ignore those parts (and all the other 'inconvenient' parts); or that maybe those are the people God doesn't love, so you better make sure you don't get on that list.
Or maybe it's that God practices that "you only hurt the ones you love", kind of like a parent who gives their child a broken arm and a concussion with the warning "don't do that again or you'll really get punished.

I don't know. I obviously don't know how to read it either. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

kallend

***Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."

Yep, definitely loving.

Are you talking about the new testament?

turtlespeed

******Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."

Yep, definitely loving.

I'm WRITING about the christian bible.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********Well stated. A friend of mine once said, "When you learn how to read it, the Bible is the greatest love letter ever written."

Yep, definitely loving.

I'm WRITING about the christian bible.

Ah semantics again. Answer the question, new or old testament.

ibx

Asking what part of the bible is literally semantics.

None, as far as I have been taught.

My comment went to where he wrote that he was writing, which is a semantical side step, trying to distract from his not wanting to answer the question.

turtlespeed

Which is exactly the point: it's what people are taught - taught to think (indoctrination), taught to say (talking points; staying "on message" - the key to any public relations campaign).

But anyhow, see:

The “But That’s Just the Old Testament!” Cop-Out

Not to be out-done by:

What Does the New Testament Say About Violence?

What Does the New Testament Say About Women?

What Does the New Testament Say About Slavery?

Andy9o8

Which is exactly the point: it's what people are taught - taught to think (indoctrination), taught to say (talking points; staying "on message" - the key to any public relations campaign).

But anyhow, see:

The “But That’s Just the Old Testament!” Cop-Out

Not to be out-done by:

What Does the New Testament Say About Violence?

What Does the New Testament Say About Women?

What Does the New Testament Say About Slavery?

Ah - so you prefer the Koran. Gotcha