4 4
kallend

Another scumbag politician.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:07 AM, headoverheels said:

Interesting background on Gaetz' associate Joel Greenberg.   It was the Greenberg investigation that broadened to include Gaetz.

Hi heels,

Looks like Greenberg was a friend in name only:  Key figure in Matt Gaetz probe likely cooperating with federal prosecutors - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  It is always amazing to see what potential years in prison make a person do.

I'm surprised that trump wasn't closer to both Greenberg and Gaetz. They sound like they could have been the three amigos.

"Greenberg’s legal problems began last summer when he was arrested on charges of stalking a political opponent. Greenberg mailed fake letters to his opponent’s school signed by a nonexistent “very concerned student” who alleged the opponent had engaged in sexual misconduct with another student, according to an indictment from last June.

Last August, Greenberg was charged with sex trafficking a girl between ages 14 and 17 and using a state database to look up information about the girl and other people with whom he was engaged in “sugar daddy” relationships, according to an indictment.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges. Additional charges accusing Greenberg of embezzling $400,000 from the Seminole County Tax Collector’s office were added last month, according to the indictment."

Kansas Senate majority leader was drunk in police chase, called an officer ‘Donut boy,’ authorities say

After a 10-minute chase, a patrolman finally pulled the SUV over and found Kansas Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop (R) behind the wheel. As officers waited on a blood test, which later showed him at more than double the legal blood alcohol limit, he allegedly lashed out at police.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Kansas Senate majority leader was drunk in police chase, called an officer ‘Donut boy,’ authorities say

After a 10-minute chase, a patrolman finally pulled the SUV over and found Kansas Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop (R) behind the wheel. As officers waited on a blood test, which later showed him at more than double the legal blood alcohol limit, he allegedly lashed out at police.

"Don't you know who I am?"

11 hours ago, jakee said:

Resisting arrest, failing to comply, threatening to assault police officers... what does a white guy have to do to get suffocated around here?

If he had been black:

"Look, I know it looks bad from your perspective.  But you weren't there!  He was hostile and combative, and a clear threat to the officers and bystanders.   And he had a fatal amount of alcohol in his bloodstream; that's what killed him.  Maybe the cop just sped that along a bit.  Besides, he was no choir boy."

On 4/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, ryoder said:

Compare that outcome to this one:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56707979

(Fortunately he did not end up dead - but that's likely because he was VERY VERY careful.)

21 hours ago, billvon said:

Compare that outcome to this one:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56707979

(Fortunately he did not end up dead - but that's likely because he was VERY VERY careful.)

Cops are afraid of an army lieutenant, army lieutenant is afraid of the cops....and somehow this is all the epitome of freedom?

If this is the trade off for being allowed to spew hate speech and carry guns everywhere, do Americans really find it odd people from other countries don't quite see it as worth it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Cops are afraid of an army lieutenant, army lieutenant is afraid of the cops....and somehow this is all the epitome of freedom?

If this is the trade off for being allowed to spew hate speech and carry guns everywhere, do Americans really find it odd people from other countries don't quite see it as worth it?

Not sure what you mean.

The cops didn't see an "army lieutenant". They saw a Black man.

The Lieutenant was afraid of being shot by the cops. The cops themselves agreed that he 'should be afraid'. 

Not sure how the hate speech has anything to do with it, unless the cops subscribe to the idea that Black men are inherently dangerous (which they seem to do).
Not sure how 'carrying guns everywhere' has anything to do with it.
Military personnel are generally very limited in possessing firearms. Especially while on duty or on base. 
The cops should know this. 
They should also know that having a dealer's advertising 'paper plate' on the bumper and a temp tag inside the window constitutes legal 'display of registration'.

Maybe that's why one of the cops was fired.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not sure what you mean.

The cops didn't see an "army lieutenant". They saw a Black man.

The Lieutenant was afraid of being shot by the cops. The cops themselves agreed that he 'should be afraid'. 

Not sure how the hate speech has anything to do with it, unless the cops subscribe to the idea that Black men are inherently dangerous (which they seem to do).
Not sure how 'carrying guns everywhere' has anything to do with it.
Military personnel are generally very limited in possessing firearms. Especially while on duty or on base. 
The cops should know this. 
They should also know that having a dealer's advertising 'paper plate' on the bumper and a temp tag inside the window constitutes legal 'display of registration'.

Maybe that's why one of the cops was fired.

Everybody is afraid of everybody. Two uniformed branches showing clear fear for the other. In a country that prides itself on its level of freedom.

When comparing that level of freedom to most other western countries, the only real difference on "freedom" is the restrictions on hate speech and the restrictions on being able to carry your gun everywhere.

In return you get that level of fear and violence.

• Like 1

Maxine Waters tries to make the world just a little more violent:

"I hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty.  And if we don't, we cannot go away. We've got to stay on the street. We get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

No, you don't have to get more confrontational-y.  Want to make a significant change?  Get more vote-y.

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

"I hope we get a verdict that says guilty, guilty, guilty.  And if we don't, we cannot go away. We've got to stay on the street. We get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

Funny thing about that verdict. No matter what it is it will change nothing. It is really nothing more than what a jury decides based on the evidence of a single case. The problem being struggled with is systemic. Being more "active" is still probably needed. I do not see anything in the quote you made that calls for violence. Why are you calling her out for promoting violence? She is an 82 year old black woman who has watched the shit go down all of her life. Think of it like Dee Snyder saying "we ain't gonna take it anymore" and maybe it will make more sense.

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Maxine Waters tries to make the world just a little more violent:

No, you don't have to get more confrontational-y.  Want to make a significant change?  Get more vote-y.

Given how the trial has gone, I can't see any verdict other than "guilty" coming back. Not sure which particular charge will stick, but I can't see an acquittal. 

And 'those people' certainly WANT to vote.
It's just that the Rs are trying to make it harder, a lot harder in some cases to cast those votes.

We need to see more protests about that.

Maybe if the activists who want to see those changes took a page out of the White Supremacists book, and went to their marches armed to the teeth, like the ones around opening up last summer, they would get more results.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Funny thing about that verdict. No matter what it is it will change nothing.

Right.  But 20 guilty verdicts will.  When the police start to fear the populace, and start thinking "I could not only lose my job but end up in prison if I hurt this guy I just arrested!" that will be progress.

It is really nothing more than what a jury decides based on the evidence of a single case. The problem being struggled with is systemic. Being more "active" is still probably needed.

Agreed.  And if she had said "We get more active, we've got to get more people voting. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business" I would have agreed 100%.

But "active and confrontational" is a call to arms for people who want to hear that, just as Trump's encouragement of the rioters was a call to arms for them.  People in power have a responsibility to not misuse that power to foment violence IMO.

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

Right.  But 20 guilty verdicts will.  When the police start to fear the populace, and start thinking "I could not only lose my job but end up in prison if I hurt this guy I just arrested!" that will be progress.

Well, we seem to be making some progress on that.

The cop who didn't know the difference between her Taser and her firearm has been charged with 2nd Degree Manslaughter.
This time, it took less than a week for the prosecutor to issue charges.

In Chicago, it took the cops a bit over 2 weeks to release the footage of the 13 year old getting killed by the cops. 
It took over a year and a court order for them to release the video of the McDonald murder.

56 minutes ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  And if she had said "We get more active, we've got to get more people voting. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business" I would have agreed 100%.

But "active and confrontational" is a call to arms for people who want to hear that, just as Trump's encouragement of the rioters was a call to arms for them.  People in power have a responsibility to not misuse that power to foment violence IMO.

MLK was confrontational.  He was definitely not violent.

Rosa Parks was confrontational but not violent.

The Little Rock Nine were confrontational but not violent.

The Selma marchers were confrontational bit not violent.

Etc.

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

But "active and confrontational" is a call to arms for people who want to hear that, just as Trump's encouragement of the rioters was a call to arms for them. 

As I read the reporting it was an off the cuff remark to a reporter's question. Now it is all over the national news. She probably should have been more careful in her words. But "scumbag politician?" We all should sometimes speak more carefully. Like Joe said above me it is very hard to see how a jury could fail to convict in this case, unless it is hung.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
26 minutes ago, ryoder said:

What a frickin nutjob.

Everyone need to read this to get an idea of how religion and GOP thinking comes about.

From the story "Samsel is the second Kansas lawmaker to be arrested this year. Former Senate Majority Leader Gene Suellentrop, a Wichita Republican, was charged with felony eluding and fleeing from police and also faces misdemeanor charges of drunk and reckless driving after allegedly driving the wrong way on Topeka highways on March 16. He was forced to step down from his leadership post."

Edited by Phil1111