4 4
kallend

Another scumbag politician.

Seems to me that Joe Manchin fits the description.  He aids and abets McConnell's agenda and clearly sabotages the agenda of his own party.

It's an indictment of the constitution that a single individual from a small state can effectively paralyze the government of the country.

(edited)
2 hours ago, kallend said:

Seems to me that Joe Manchin fits the description.  He aids and abets McConnell's agenda and clearly sabotages the agenda of his own party.

It's an indictment of the constitution that a single individual from a small state can effectively paralyze the government of the country.

What's the deal with him now not happy with $1.5 trillion, down from $3.5 trillion?  (over 10 years, to be clear).  I only saw the headline, but yeah, that's some BS right there.

EDIT:  Okay, it's $1.75 trillion. Still, that's still some BS.  He's making it sound like no one knows where the funding will come from, when that has been an important talking/negotiating point these past couple of weeks.  Not sure what he thinks is "dangerous" to the economy, or on which parts are unclear to him.  Seems like just attention-getting talking points at this stage. :S

Edited by TriGirl
additional information

(edited)
2 hours ago, kallend said:

It would be better for all involved for him to switch parties or become a non-aligned independent. The Democrats would be happy to loose  Manchin and the Republicans would be happy to get him.  It would seem an obvious solution, and win-win if you will.  I can’t understand why Schumer hasn’t suggested it. ¬¬

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

It would be better for all involved for him to switch parties or become a non-aligned independent. The Democrats would be happy to loose  Manchin and the Republicans would be happy to get him.  It would seem an obvious solution, and win-win if you will.  I can’t understand why Schumer hasn’t suggested it. ¬¬

I actually agree with you on this although I think I understand why Schumer hasn’t.

Edited by murps2000

(edited)
15 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I actually agree with you on this although I think I understand why Schumer hasn’t.

He is just representing his constituency and ironically, he is protecting his party.  The Ds are conflating antipathy for Trump for a progressive mandate. They are overreacting and Manchin is protecting them from themselves.

Edited by brenthutch

18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

He is just representing his constituency and ironically, he is protecting his party.  The Ds are conflating antipathy for Trump for a progressive mandate. They are overreacting and Manchin is protecting them from themselves.

He's just being a self important dick who wont be told. The tell here is his advice to Jayapal to not believe holding up infrastructure will sway him. You know, for the good of the country. What a shit show we've become.

1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

What's the deal with him now not happy with $1.5 trillion, down from $3.5 trillion?  (over 10 years, to be clear).  I only saw the headline, but yeah, that's some BS right there.

EDIT:  Okay, it's $1.75 trillion. Still, that's still some BS.  He's making it sound like no one knows where the funding will come from, when that has been an important talking/negotiating point these past couple of weeks.  Not sure what he thinks is "dangerous" to the economy, or on which parts are unclear to him.  Seems like just attention-getting talking points at this stage. :S

Nobody knows where the funding will come from because nothing has been codified.  The “danger” to the economy is the inflation we are now experiencing.

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

He's just being a self important dick who wont be told. The tell here is his advice to Jayapal to not believe holding up infrastructure will sway him. 

I encourage you to listen to his press conference and decide for yourself.  If the progressives stick to their guns and Manchin sticks to his, our country will have dodged a bullet.  We can only pray for intransigence.

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Nobody knows where the funding will come from because nothing has been codified.  The “danger” to the economy is the inflation we are now experiencing.

I'm going to disagree with that simple assessment.  If deficit caused inflation, we would have already seen massive inflation during the previous administration.  These spending proposals have nothing on the tax cuts (causing severe deficit) from the previous administration.

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That's probably too abstract for his pea brain. I think he believes simply owing more money is dangerous; the real danger being that once something becomes a program it stays a program.  You know, like those nitwits on the progressive caucus told him. I really don't believe Manchin and Sinema could organize a three person marble game if you showed up and brought the marbles.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's probably too abstract for his pea brain. I think he believes simply owing more money is dangerous; the real danger being that once something becomes a program it stays a program.  

That was one of just one of his points.  He also laid bare the gimmicks the Ds used to pretend that their scheme was fully paid for.

Edited by brenthutch

25 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I'm convinced the GOP is either:

a) Buying off Manchin & Sinema.

b) Blackmailing them.

They're aggrandizing themselves at the nations expense. Their names are in every other paragraph in the news. That sticks. They know it. 

(edited)
11 hours ago, ryoder said:

I'm convinced the GOP is either:

a) Buying off Manchin & Sinema.

b) Blackmailing them.

Have you ever considered they are Democrats representing red states, or that they think drastically increasing the size of the welfare state at a time when we can’t pay for the one we have might be a bad idea?  If the American people think Biden’s Build Back Better plan is worthwhile, they will reward them with supermajorities in the House and Senate and render the notions of two rogue Senators moot.

Edited by brenthutch

8 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

As I acknowledged, although I didn't play the it's a D only thing. 

Agreed, both sides did it with the American Rescue Plan Act.  They paid for it by eliminating the non-existent line item in the budget tilted “waste, fraud and abuse”

(edited)
7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

If the American people think Biden’s Build Back Better plan is worthwhile, they will reward them with supermajorities in the House and Senate and render the notions of two rogue Senators moot.

Many Americans can't seem to get on a plane without getting in trouble.

Edited by SkyDekker

The more I watch, the more I think the US and (to a slightly lesser extent) the UK are fundamentally broken. The right in both countries are only out to enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else, and the left (or slighly less right) are still playing by the rules of an out of date game. If it was just trolls like brent and winsor making fools of themselves online then it wouldn't be a problem but unfortunately they are just parroting what they are being fed by the politicians.

Not sure what the answer is, but pretty sure Biden isn't it. He was the safe choice, not the good choice. He'll be competent and somewhat dignified (which is a nice change on both accounts compared to the last guy) but won't risk rocking the boat too much. The R's will get back in and then as long as they field someone halfway competent, you're all screwed.

(edited)

Wonder if he was on his way to the grassy knoll to witness JFK jr. return? That's what a few hundred of your fellow countrymen were up to today. The same people you rely on to vote with any form of logic.

But then you have some of this incredible reporting taking place:

Edited by SkyDekker