4 4
kallend

Another scumbag politician.

PhreeZone

I am shocked that he resigned over a simple video instead of just saying everyone else does it and how he is working to be forgiven by his family.

Maybe he knows what else might be uncovered with a little bit of digging. Or maybe he's just trying to spare his family (or himself) the embarrassment of an investigation or ongoing headlines.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

One doesn't know that he voted for Trump. One only knows that he didn't vote for Hillary. And, depending on where he lives (i.e. anywhere but Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, or Ohio), it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

One doesn't know that he voted for Trump. One only knows that he didn't vote for Hillary. And, depending on where he lives (i.e. anywhere but Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, or Ohio), it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Wendy P.

Wendy,

Jerry's question is not only legit, it's the question that begs an answer most hours of the day and night lately.

Parsing out the relative value of a non-vote vs. a vote for or against or any shade of a vote doesn't much matter, I think, especially given the philosophical nature of the conversation. The same applies to the actual value of anyones vote in our awful electoral college system.

I personally think it's very fair, over a year into this embarressing clusterfuck of a presidency, to ask everyone to answer that question.

JerryBaumchen

Hi nolhtairt,

It's why I refused to vote for her.

I believe that you have every right to vote for whomever you want; and for it to be a secret ballot, known only to you.

Do you really believe that Trump is a better president than she would have been?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen

Simply put, yes.

NOW Hillary's bitching about wives being more likely to vote Republicans because their husbands did. WOW. :S

My wife voted for Hillary and I didn't have a problem with it.

To me, it's a "are you with us or are you against us" kind of question, one to throw blame, and not work on problems. As it happens, I also didn't vote for Hillary, but since I live in Massachusetts, it doesn't matter in the least. I was hoping to add some cachet to third parties, because I see the two-party system as part of the problem we have.

If that makes me an "against," well, tough shit.

I really don't care who someone voted for, whether they regret it or not, if they're willing to work on issues that can improve our country.

How do I see improving the country? Engaging in projects that cross political boundaries for common goals, helping to feed and house poor people, helping to support American businesses by buying local and American-made products, and lots of things like that. These are efforts that can help people to see common goals with those they disagree with. And once you humanize your "enemy," I think it's easier to see them as a co-countryman.

But then I was a project manager, and I was assigned people for my projects. I didn't always get the members of my dreams, and my job was to do the best I could with the people I was assigned.

As far as the current administration is concerned, well, they're completely ill-equipped to actually make a lot of stuff happen. Personally, there are people I hope to see die soon, but it's not likely. Because if someone dies, then there is greater disruption in replacing them -- no one was expecting it. If there could be a better example of how putting a lot of ideologues into positions to actually do stuff with their ideology isn't the best approach, I'm not sure what it would be.

But as long as a significant number of people in America see an "us" and a "them," and define themselves by whom, rather than what, they're for and against, I think that things will continue ugly.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

nolhtairt

***https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/iowa-senate-leader-resigns-video-shows-him-kissing-lobbyist/ar-BBK8BON

Married politician caught on video making out with a lobbyist.

I am shocked that he resigned over a simple video instead of just saying everyone else does it and how he is working to be forgiven by his family.

Contrast that with Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" yet there he was in the oval office, no less, getting a blow job from Monica Lewinsky. Sure it's just a blow job but that sounds worse than what that politician did to resign over.

Fucking Clintons, you just can't trust those motherfuckers. Hillary has railroaded every woman that filed a complaint against Bill. It's why I refused to vote for her.

LMAO, I am sure that's the reason.

SkyDekker

******https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/iowa-senate-leader-resigns-video-shows-him-kissing-lobbyist/ar-BBK8BON

Married politician caught on video making out with a lobbyist.

Contrast that with Bill Clinton saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" yet there he was in the oval office, no less, getting a blow job from Monica Lewinsky. Sure it's just a blow job but that sounds worse than what that politician did to resign over.

Fucking Clintons, you just can't trust those motherfuckers. Hillary has railroaded every woman that filed a complaint against Bill. It's why I refused to vote for her.

LMAO, I am sure that's the reason.

In the meantime Trump and company have been so kind to all of his accusers.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

wmw999

if they're willing to work on issues that can improve our country.

How do I see improving the country? Engaging in projects that cross political boundaries for common goals, helping to feed and house poor people, helping to support American businesses by buying local and American-made products, and lots of things like that. These are efforts that can help people to see common goals with those they disagree with. And once you humanize your "enemy," I think it's easier to see them as a co-countryman....

But as long as a significant number of people in America see an "us" and a "them," and define themselves by whom, rather than what, they're for and against, I think that things will continue ugly.

Wendy P.

^^^^^

This is why Nancy Pelosi and democrats are not making headway against the trump base...er.. as much as they should be.

Instead of trump bashing let trump dig his own grave. He's doing a great job. Democrats need to step up the national job training agenda. Formulate and idealize a national agenda to train and mobilize American workers to upscale jobs. Higher paying jobs. Export jobs in new economies and industries.

Such that the marginalized US worker sees new export trading opportunities as the answer. Rather than tariffs and walls. To steal what used to be the republican ideologies.

upscale jobs

I’d actually focus on bolstering education for the trades, to include both basic and technical enhancement. It targets people who might be unemployed right now, or who don’t fit the “college path” that’s been the rage for the last few years. Those are real people.

Don’t do it only via the unions, because then you leave out a lot of right-to-work states. Yes, a lot of them are service economy jobs (when you’re modifying rather than doing new construction), but without a giant baby boom to increase population, that’s what’s needed.

It’s not the only place to go, but it’s one that hasn’t gotten a lot of attention until just recently, and could use more.

Wendy P.

wmw999

To me, it's a "are you with us or are you against us" kind of question, one to throw blame, and not work on problems. As it happens, I also didn't vote for Hillary, but since I live in Massachusetts, it doesn't matter in the least. I was hoping to add some cachet to third parties, because I see the two-party system as part of the problem we have.

If that makes me an "against," well, tough shit.

I really don't care who someone voted for, whether they regret it or not, if they're willing to work on issues that can improve our country.

How do I see improving the country? Engaging in projects that cross political boundaries for common goals, helping to feed and house poor people, helping to support American businesses by buying local and American-made products, and lots of things like that. These are efforts that can help people to see common goals with those they disagree with. And once you humanize your "enemy," I think it's easier to see them as a co-countryman.

But then I was a project manager, and I was assigned people for my projects. I didn't always get the members of my dreams, and my job was to do the best I could with the people I was assigned.

As far as the current administration is concerned, well, they're completely ill-equipped to actually make a lot of stuff happen. Personally, there are people I hope to see die soon, but it's not likely. Because if someone dies, then there is greater disruption in replacing them -- no one was expecting it. If there could be a better example of how putting a lot of ideologues into positions to actually do stuff with their ideology isn't the best approach, I'm not sure what it would be.

Wendy P.

How is, "Do you really believe that Trump is a better president than she would have been?" , an "are you with us or are you against us" kind of question"?

What I read was a reasonable inquiry into someones current viewpoint. Retrospection has to be fair game regardless of the topic.

Oregon is also a Blue State. Nonetheless, I try to vote like it matters. In the last election I voted for a candidate I despised. I only get one vote and that's how I roll; others very legitimately vote according to other motivations. Were they so inclined they could fairly ask if, because of my vote, I now felt like a complete stooge.

Well, I saw the question differently. And I really like Jerry, but I guess I don’t see the future in trying to confront someone into changing their mind or admit they were wrong wrong wrong wrong. But we all come from different places.

And I do vote as though it matters. I just think that more than the ability to say I voted for the right person in a lopsided race might matter.

As far as Trump, well, while I think he’s terrible, unqualified, and likely to continue even farther into the swamp as the swamp creatures see how easy it to convince people they’re really not swamp creatures, he is who we have. So we can either try to resist, move things that we can affect in positive directions, or hope that if he breaks it, it’s bad enough that most people will agree it’s a fuckup, and maybe even disrupt enough to re-initialize some of our entrenched power patterns.

Consider all that T Roosevelt was able to do in trust busting

Wendy P.

wmw999

.. So we can either try to resist, move things that we can affect in positive directions, or hope that if he breaks it, it’s bad enough that most people will agree it’s a fuckup, and maybe even disrupt enough to re-initialize some of our entrenched power patterns...

It's a bit too soon to be sure, but there have been a couple major elections where long-time R 'strongholds' fell to D 'interlopers'.
There were other factors in them, but it's an interesting trend.

Mid-terms are going to be rather...

Contentious.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Mid-terms are going to be rather...

Contentious

:D
True dat!

Wendy P.

Latest scumbag - Don Blankenship. He got out of prison about a year ago; he was there because he conspired to hide mining safety violations from regulators, and the resulting explosion killed 29 miners. While in prison he wrote a 67 page manifesto about how his conviction on those charges was due to persecution by Obama. Most people in West Virginia view him as an unrepentant murderer; 60% of people polled after his sentencing thought the judge should have put him away for much longer.

So only one thing to do - run for Senate as a Republican!

I can just see the slogans now. "More openings in the mines - guaranteed." "Early retirement, courtesy of the Don." "Vote for me - I won't do it next time. I promise."

So now we have a real life, actual Nazi and a convicted criminal running for the GOP in the next election. Who's next? Nikolas Cruz? He is 100% pro-Second Amendment.

2009: John Boehner says he is "unalterably opposed" to marijuana legalization.

2015: Boehner says he is opposed to the legalization of “marijuana or other FDA Schedule I drugs."

2018: Boehner joins the board of Acreage Holdings, a marijuana farming and distribution company.

I guess with enough $$$ you can get anyone's views to "evolve."

We have had a couple cases like that in Canada.

For example, Julian Fantino was a former chief of police in Toronto (in the 2000s), and continued being a top cop in other jurisdictions. He was vocally against marijuana for decades, and right into 2015 when he opposed the federal Liberal government's plan to legalize it.

“I am completely opposed to the legalization of marijuana.” — Julian Fantino’s Twitter account, Oct. 16, 2015 (from the Toronto Star)

In the fall of 2017 he became the executive chair of a marijuana company in the Toronto area.

Elsewhere in the country in another case, news reported, "Former head of RCMP drug squad now leads national marijuana business". The guy boasted how much he already knew about the business... fair enough.

While anyone can change their mind and evolve their views, it seems particularly rich for a person to hold others back, until they suddenly jump to cash in at a high level on the very thing they used to oppose.

I wouldn't put these guys in the true reprehensible scumbag category, but it is still a little slimy.

pchapman

We have had a couple cases like that in Canada.

For example, Julian Fantino was a former chief of police in Toronto (in the 2000s), and continued being a top cop in other jurisdictions. He was vocally against marijuana for decades, and right into 2015 when he opposed the federal Liberal government's plan to legalize it.

“I am completely opposed to the legalization of marijuana.” — Julian Fantino’s Twitter account, Oct. 16, 2015 (from the Toronto Star)

In the fall of 2017 he became the executive chair of a marijuana company in the Toronto area.

Elsewhere in the country in another case, news reported, "Former head of RCMP drug squad now leads national marijuana business". The guy boasted how much he already knew about the business... fair enough.

While anyone can change their mind and evolve their views, it seems particularly rich for a person to hold others back, until they suddenly jump to cash in at a high level on the very thing they used to oppose.

I wouldn't put these guys in the true reprehensible scumbag category, but it is still a little slimy.

I have several friends who are very much opposed to legalization. There's no way they'll be able to continue making a good living if it is.

ryoder

I suspect this will make me a sexist monster but there's a big part of this I just don't understand.
She talks about how every time she'd sneak back into his house when his wife was away he behaved in ways she didn't like.
"The woman testified that she had several additional sexual encounters with Greitens, including one in June 2015 when "he slapped me across my face" after she acknowledged having slept with her husband. She said she didn't think Greitens was trying to hurt her, but rather "I felt like he was trying to claim me." "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-greitens-report-missouri-governor-accused-of-unwanted-sex-in-graphic-report-today-2018-04-11/