ryoder

Pennsylvania v. 2,447 Bottles of Wine

Agreed.
This "civil forfeiture" crap needs to go.
Being robbed by LEO's could not be anything the founding fathers intended.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What pisses me off is when the drug interdiction units stop cars on interstate 10 and seize your "drug money". Who cares if I have $50,000 in my car. If I don't have drugs, and a drug dog cant hit on anything, you shouldn't be able to just take money on suspicion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10-story.html#page=1

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

If I don't have drugs, and a drug dog cant hit on anything, you shouldn't be able to just take money on suspicion.

Should or shouldn't doesn't enter into the equation. According to the "supreme law of the land" they cannot do so legally. Asset forfeiture = robbery and extortion on the part of our legislators.

Anvilbrother

What pisses me off is when the drug interdiction units stop cars on interstate 10 and seize your "drug money". Who cares if I have $50,000 in my car. If I don't have drugs, and a drug dog cant hit on anything, you shouldn't be able to just take money on suspicion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10-story.html#page=1

Drug dog hits should not make a difference.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/14/cocaine.traces.money/

Anvilbrother

Ha! If the handler wants the dog to hit, the handler can make it hit.

I forget which thread it was in but there was a video where a guy had allowed the police to send a sniffer dog round his car and left his camera running inside. After 3 circuits of nothing the handler just taps the window and the dog jumps to it. Hit!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I agree with the author that this is full of shit.

However, if I may nitpick, he overstates his case when he says, without qualification or clarification, "All told, Pennsylvania is "the only state besides Utah to control retail and wholesale liquor operations, residents must purchase wine and spirits from state stores or in-state wineries." ". In fact, depending on the criteria, the actual number is between 13 and 18 states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage_control_state

http://www.nabca.org/States/States.aspx

>They offered a wine tasting course as an elective. There was some silly deal about the
>way the instructor bought the wine for the course through the local wine shop. It really
>was 'mountain out of a molehill' thing but they made a really BIG deal about it.

Yep. And try offering homebrew beer for a tasting. Some lawyers make a lot of money off making that into a legal mountain.

Iago

Now, in the case of PA vs Wine I doubt the State is really going to just destroy $150+ worth of wine. Not after all the effort and manpower that was put into this case.

More likely they will seek to reach a 'settlement' with the original owner, and he will basically have to buy his own wine back from the State.

Did he technically violate the law? Maybe. Was there criminal intent involved (i.e. Bootlegging the liquor across lines for profit?) Most likely not.

I remember something similar when I was in Uni. They offered a wine tasting course as an elective. There was some silly deal about the way the instructor bought the wine for the course through the local wine shop. It really was 'mountain out of a molehill' thing but they made a really BIG deal about it.

I know very little of wines, but I'm under the impression that, at least the pricey stuff, is very finicky on how it is stored. Probably most of the wines are already ruined unintentionally.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

I know very little of wines, but I'm under the impression that, at least the pricey stuff, is very finicky on how it is stored. Probably most of the wines are already ruined unintentionally.

If this guy wins his case and the wine is ruined due to improper storage the State should be on the hook for the replacement costs.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

billvon

>They offered a wine tasting course as an elective. There was some silly deal about the
>way the instructor bought the wine for the course through the local wine shop. It really
>was 'mountain out of a molehill' thing but they made a really BIG deal about it.

Yep. And try offering homebrew beer for a tasting. Some lawyers make a lot of money off making that into a legal mountain.

Is this a great country, or what?

Andy9o8

***>They offered a wine tasting course as an elective. There was some silly deal about the

Is this a great country, or what?

Thank you, Mr Keaton!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Rick

If this guy wins his case and the wine is ruined due to improper storage the State should be on the hook for the replacement costs.

Like the gun owners in New Orleans?

Don't hold your breath.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo