RonD1120

Why people are leaving the church

Good article and seems to be right on point. I see myself in much of what the author is saying.

http://www.churchplants.com/articles/8774-dear-church-heres-why-people-are-really-leaving-you-john-pavlovitz.html/3
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I left because of the constant begging for money, the downward look over the nose from the "blessed" ones as they pass judgement on everything they disagree with...while sleeping with the neighbor's wife, the begging of money for a new preacher that made over twice the average income in the community then begged for "love gifts" to help him, and the closing of the children's ministry.
Mostly the children's bit though. That was a death sentence to that church.

Just too much judgmental bullshit. Lies. Two faced lies. Every last bit of it.

Backintothesky

That's exactly how non believers view every religion.

Welcome, we've been expecting you. :P

*** Just too much judgmental bullshit. Lies. Two faced lies. Every last bit of it.

faith - belief in something unprovable - (neither good nor bad, depends on the person and how their belief affects their character and relationships)

religion - ceremonies, actions, rituals design to help people exercise their 'faith'

church - the 'business' that claims sole ownership of religion

When the business goes bad and it turns into a power grab and money making industry, that's when thing really take a down turn.

What Normiss is talking about isn't religion, it's 'church' gone bad.

The other aspect of individuals being judgmental and jerkish? well, we see that in all groupings of people, check out any dropzone, or social club, or whatever - there will always be people that need self validation by putting down outsiders, or even others within their communities

I'm not really a fan of all three things up there. For me.

But for other people? It's not my business what they practice.

I'm just not a fan of #3 when it goes bad. (and that goes for any power structure - religious, political, social movements, business). It just seems natural that any organized power structure eventually loses its way.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Andy9o8

Personally, I refer to it as "a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization which engages in fraud, money laundering, sexual abuse of children, obstruction of justice and perjury."

Eh, but what's in a name? I suppose "church" is easier to type.

I've said the same about most organized religions.

I've also said the same about the DFL, the RNC, a lot of environmental groups, quite a few major businesses, leadership of most countries, CrW dogs, Angle flyers, lobbying groups, and unions

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Personally, I refer to it as "a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization which engages in fraud, money laundering, sexual abuse of children, obstruction of justice and perjury."

I've also said the same about the DFL, the RNC, a lot of environmental groups, quite a few major businesses, leadership of most countries, CrW dogs, Angle flyers, lobbying groups, and unions

I have a 1-liner about crew dogs and base jumpers, but it just might violate this site's TOS, so never mind.

Your three definitions are right on target. That is why I always emphasize relationship with Jesus Christ guided by the Holy Spirit.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Your three definitions are right on target. That is why I always emphasize relationship with Jesus Christ guided by the Holy Spirit.

I dunno about this 'holy spirit' stuff, but my relationship with Jesus is as a distant cousin.

rehmwa

***Personally, I refer to it as "a Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization which engages in fraud, money laundering, sexual abuse of children, obstruction of justice and perjury."

You missed colleges and universities. Why do you hate academics?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Good article. It touches on many of the problems I also have with the modern Christian Church. But none the less, as a species we have a profound spiritual aspect to our existence. I have found that only God can fulfill that spiritual dimension and supply all that I seek on a spiritual basis.

How do we know that the author of the article is not an agent of Satan?

My faith is based on my experience of the Holy Spirit leading me to Jesus Christ. Studying scripture came after as I needed to understand what happened to me. Next came the desire for me to share a wonderful experience with others.

The Holy Spirit will guide more powerfully when you are in despair. If it means nothing now, save the thought and remember it when you suffer deeply with anger, fear, depression or guilt.

RonD1120

How do we know that the author of the article is not an agent of Satan?

NewsWeek has strict no "Agents of Satan" policy. Same reason you don't see articles penned by Dick Cheney in their magazine.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

***How do we know that the author of the article is not an agent of Satan?

NewsWeek has strict no "Agents of Satan" policy. Same reason you don't see articles penned by Dick Cheney in their magazine.

Priceless! Thanks for the laugh.