normiss

Another cop goes free.

Crack a big fat bitch in the knees man.
Drops like a sack o taters.

Except for that whole "eliminate the threat" muscle memory training.

Dig?

How long did they stand around and NOT offer any aid in any way whatsoever after they killed THIS ONE?

Who's next?

Interesting anonymous interview with a NYC cop.
Read it all the way through, because the tone at the beginning is misleading.
It is when he references Ray Kelly, that you get what he really thinks.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/qa-an-nypd-officers-real-talk-on-garner-case.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Anvilbrother

Arrests does not equal convictions. You can get arrested for just hanging around in the wrong place. One consequence of "broken windows" policing is that people get rounded up as a "precaution".

Complete horse shit, you don't get arrested 30 times because you happened to be standing next to someone that got arrested and they picked you up to as a precaution. If your ass gets arrested 30 times your doing something illegal, or hanging around the wrong place while others are doing illegal things. Either way after 30 times you should have started to try to figure out why its happening and change it. Stop coming up with excuses for criminals.

Here is a recent (November 2013) case of a guy who has has been arrested for trespassing 62 times, and taken to jail 56 times, while at his workplace. Even when the store owner told the police the guy was an employee the police responded "yeah right" and still arrested the guy and hauled him away. This employee is not the only one to be targeted, other employees and even customers have been arrested just for being in the store. The police have also repeatedly conducted searches of the store without a warrant, but have never found anything illegal. The harassment was so severe the owner installed surveillance cameras specifically to try to protect himself... against the police!

The police justification for this? That they are trying to reduce crime by cracking down on anything they feel is "suspicious" or "out of place". In this case, a black employee working in a store (owned by a guy with a middle eastern name) in a mall in a white neighborhood. It's pretty obvious, not subtle at all in fact, that by stopping, searching, and arresting employees and customers simply for being in the store the police are trying to force the store owner out of the mall.

What do you think should be done? Should the store relocate, as the police obviously wish, just to avoid bringing black employees and customers into a mall with mostly white customers and store owners? Or should the police have to respect US citizen's constitutional right to work and shop wherever they wish?

Don

If you are the subject of constant harassment by local law enforcement, perhaps instead of blaming others, you need to take a step back and reevaluate yourself. Those cops didn't JUST happen to be there. They were acting on complaints from the community.

See my reply to Anvil above. What do you say? Should the guy quit his job, because the police keep arresting him for trespassing while he is at work, even dismissing out of hand the store owner as he explains that the guy really is an employee? Should the store owner have to relocate to a "more suitable location" (in the eyes of the police) so he doesn't make "the community" uncomfortable by attracting black employees and customers to come into a mall in a "white neighborhood"?

My point was that he was arrested 30+ times. He knew the game and how it was played. In his 30+ times of being locked up, he didn't die, and I'm going to assume that is because he didn't resist arrest and things went without incident.

I suppose that's true. However, I think anyone would have to have the patience of Job to be arrested over and over for no good reason, just because the police think you "don't belong", and never once say anything. Apparently complaining about harassment is "resisting arrest" and is justification for the police killing you.

Convictions has nothing to do with it and if you new anything about the legal system in NYC you wouldn't have even bought it up.

Convictions have everything to do with it. Multiple arrests on fabricated charges are a great tool to harass people and force them to move, or quit their job, or relocate their store. In the Florida case the guy was arrested 62 times, with just 1 actual conviction, for misdemeanor marijuana possession. Obvious harassment. Garner was arrested 30 times, but how many of those resulted in convictions? I have been able to learn of just one, for selling cigarettes, but all the media stories only mention his arrest record and not any actual convictions.

Especially in areas that practice "broken windows" policing, you can accumulate an impressive arrest record without being a criminal. If you have the audacity to be a minority living in a dominantly white neighborhood you can accumulate an arrest record, and even get shot by police, without being a criminal.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty in court"?

Don

More civilians have been killed by cops THIS WEEK in the US than were killed by cops all year in Europe.

It surprises me that some people here not only can't see anything wrong with this picture, they actually seem to think its a good thing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ryoder

Interesting anonymous interview with a NYC cop.
Read it all the way through, because the tone at the beginning is misleading.
It is when he references Ray Kelly, that you get what he really thinks.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/12/qa-an-nypd-officers-real-talk-on-garner-case.html

Interesting read, though the ending reads a little like:

I was abused as a kid, therefor I am now a horrible person.

There is no doubt that officers see horrible things, as do EMTs and fire fighters. And, the relevant departments need to provide the counselling and oversight to deal with these issues.

However, just like the example above, it cannot be used as a mitigating factor for bad behaviour and decision making. Since, if that is the case, the officer isn't capable of doing his job anymore and should be retired or fired.

kallend

In this case overeating didn't kill him. Asthma didn't kill him. Tax evasion didn't kill him. The cop compressed his neck and killed him.

actually all these things killed him

but if you feel that way, and if you die someday having sex, we'll make sure your wife goes to jail?

1 - If at all possible (I think it applies here since the cop had backup), cops need to be trained to just avoid the neck area when restraining someone.

2 - Up to the point when a suspect is restrained, that suspect owns 90% of any problem resulting from passive or aggressive resistance. So I don't spend a lot of time on the 'choke' or whatever hold, even though I think it's a terrible technique (when there is sufficient cops and no weapons to protect from)

3 - Once the suspect is restrained and cuffed, then he is ABSOLUTELY the responsibility of the cops that are in charge of him. He is now to be treated as helpless, and under their care.

#3 above is where I'm very upset at the cops - this is pure and absolute negligence to allow someone that is under their care (due to being restrained by them) to take such poor action. I'd call for criminal negligence (IMO) in a criminal trial, but absolutely negligence that will, as a minimum, be upheld in a civil action. I think criminal negligence is only reasonable charge to make. And then followed by the civil case regardless of the result.

Focus on the restraining technique is a no win. Frankly, I suspect activists recognize this and will make the biggest deal on the no win - as their goal is to generate criminal unrest everywhere - rather than the productive discussions that are really needed on police procedures.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***In this case overeating didn't kill him. Asthma didn't kill him. Tax evasion didn't kill him. The cop compressed his neck and killed him.

actually all these things killed him

Of course, cops in Europe, Canada and Japan never encounter these difficulties.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

By jove I think he's got it.

From an Eastern spiritual point of view, the LEO's and their adversaries are of the same mindset. They share the same world. It is Yin and Yang. One does not exist without the other.

That is why cops are not killing anyone in your neighborhood.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

BillyVance

Common sense when dealing with a cop is don't do anything STUPID.

How hard is that to do? :|

And don't try to use ASL, either.:P

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/deaf-man-arrested-sign-language_n_4811785.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Another twist in the Eric Garner saga. According to New York Congressman Peter King, “The district attorney of Staten Island is a man of unimpeachable integrity. … The highest ranking officer at the scene was an African-American female sergeant [Kizzy Adoni]. She was there the whole time. The reason that the cops were there that day is the local merchants – this is a minority neighborhood, these are minority business people – went to police headquarters and the chief of the department, who is an African-American. They complained that Eric Garner was disrupting the area and preventing people from coming into their stores. [Police] were there at the request of minority shop owners, under the direction of an African-American police chief, and under the supervision of an African-American sergeant.” King added, “I’ve seen a number of people taken down – this was a takedown. If someone is resisting arrest it often takes four or five cops to get them down. You have to subdue the person on the ground. The officers said, ‘Put your hands behind your back,’ and he wouldn’t. … I’ve seen guys held down. … If they had let up on the tension and he got up it would’ve started all over again.” If those facts don’t undermine the Left’s race-bait narrative, we don’t know what does.

From the Patriot Post
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

A majority would be 9 of 16. One more than half. If New York says 12 of 16 then that's what it takes to bring an indictment and issue a True Bill.
The state constitutions set for the number to constitute a grand jury and the number it takes to indict.

A majority of the grand jury, not a majority of the quorum. In a case where there are only two choices (as in a grand jury, where the choices are general either to indict or not to indict), the difference is irrelevant, but where there are more, then the rules still spell out how many grand jury members are required, not the percentage. I don't believe a grand jury gets to decide what charges, but I'm not sure.

And I agree with you that it's up to the state; that's why I posted the rules. Yes, they were by the Manhattan DA, but I guess I figured he'd quote the state rules.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)